What I'm hearing | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are only willing to pay a HC $2.5M then our ceiling is an Oklahoma like program going forward. There is no way we can get a quality HC at that price and remain a Top 15 program. The past 10 years we have already had 3-4 teams jump us. The next 10 will see a steeper decline with a $2.5M HC.
I think that John Wildhack is willing to spend money, but not indiscriminately--to upgrade assistant football coaches, but not to buy out Dino.

JB has accepted the hometown discount his entire career. The next guy will not have to. Basketball has been SU's cash cow. The AD will not fail to support the program by going cheap.

Hop had a tough go of it. He’d planned to hire Jason Hart, which would have been a home run, but couldn’t pry him away from USC when the AD gave him a big raise there. I think he was also looking at Tony Bland, probably dodged a bullet there. The guys he did hire had Seattle and West Coast ties. Hop’s unfamiliarity with the West Coast recruiting scene and the coaches and contacts out there really hurt.
Syracuse guards hiring Syracuse guards hiring Syracuse guards hiring Syracuse guards...
why does everyone think this is somehow a formula for success ? how many EX SU guards in F4 ?
there are different qualifications to leadership and success other than playing guard at SU and never getting a sniff in the NBA. watching the tourney from the outside with all the money we spend i'd say perhaps it's time for a new approach . jettison the jetsam.

Last edited:
Narration:
“Not long afterwards, and having no link to post, it was confirmed that he was in fact, insane”. :p
There are always backstories, the official narrative is rarely the whole truth. It fits your anti-Boeheim bias which extends to Hop so you endorse it.

There are always backstories, the official narrative is rarely the whole truth. It fits your anti-Boeheim bias which extends to Hop so you endorse it.
It IS possible to appreciate JB's accomplishments while also being critical of his failures. Treating him like the god-king of the SUAD and expressing complete blind loyalty does neither JB nor the program itself any favors.

I read it. It does not sway me much. I could argue that five years is too small a sample size. That's roughly 150 games and about 15-20 incoming players. But I won't. I'll concede that Hopkins tenure has lost some momentum. I hear you and understand a certain amount of trepidation.

I cannot offer you anything else about Hopkins that has not already been said. I don't insinuate that he is a John Wooden incarnate. I see him as a dynamic personality, a fit for out university and our town. He's in Washington because of JAB and his father. Neither scenario is ideal, but they are real and he cannot control their paths. His decision to leave SU could be critiqued for 100 more pages, but it was his own. It put him on a stage in a strange land. Yes, he crew up in Orange County in the late 1980s. That said, SoCal and Seattle are as similar as Boston and Atlanta on a Saturday in September.

I see Hopkins as a hustler (the right kind of hustler) with a terrific and healthy competitive streak (not far off his persona as a player). I see him as a great face to represent the program, the school and in the community. Say what you will, but that stuff does count in the real world. At least it does for organizations that care about their brand and how it is perceived from the outside (which every college should).

I see him as a 60-40 guy. His primary strength is getting talent (recruiting). That accounts for 60% of his profile. The other 40% is coaching. He's going going to need to improve here. But let's not act like he forgets to start five guys. He knows his stuff. He's gonna grow into it. Trial and error. He's a smart guy who been exposed to some terrific teachers/leaders through JAB, Coach K and USA Basketball, so I expect growth and enhanced flexibility. (Side note: I saw a study once that said a MLB manager is directly responsible for 1-3 wins a 162-game season. I don't know if I believe that to the hilt, but perhaps one's game strategy in a dugout or bench is a bit overrated by most sports fans. Just food for thought).

Everyone here gets their panties in a wad because they think he'll be JAB 2.0. Nonsense. For 20 years, Hopkins was employed at SU because he was the opposite of JAB. He was personable. He deeply and quickly connected with current players, program alumni, recruits, families and AAU/HS coaches. We need that most of the time, maybe less so in season (practice) and on game days. This is how the game is evolving. It will be interesting to see how Hopkins evolves during his second gig, ... on his proper stage, at the Dome.

Lastly, don't forget, he is not exactly going to be coaching against Louie, Big John, Calhoun and Gary Williams twice a week either. There are not many tacticians left in the game. Bill Self is a good one. Say what you will, JAB has been top 3-5 in this realm for about 30 straight years, with last year 2021-22 being an exception. But the point is, the college coaching ranks largely stink, so I am really not worried about how Hopkins will stack up against Steve Forbes, Brad Barnwell or Josh Pastner.
Thanks for responding and fair enough. I certainly don't agree with some of your conclusions, especially that part about baseball coaches. But, that article is alarming to me and was hoping for a different slant as to why his coaching is viewed by that writer as so awful. I don't think we should aspire to have a coach just better than Josh Pastner on the bench. This fanbase desires better .

I read it. It does not sway me much. I could argue that five years is too small a sample size. That's roughly 150 games and about 15-20 incoming players. But I won't. I'll concede that Hopkins tenure has lost some momentum. I hear you and understand a certain amount of trepidation.

I cannot offer you anything else about Hopkins that has not already been said. I don't insinuate that he is a John Wooden incarnate. I see him as a dynamic personality, a fit for out university and our town. He's in Washington because of JAB and his father. Neither scenario is ideal, but they are real and he cannot control their paths. His decision to leave SU could be critiqued for 100 more pages, but it was his own. It put him on a stage in a strange land. Yes, he crew up in Orange County in the late 1980s. That said, SoCal and Seattle are as similar as Boston and Atlanta on a Saturday in September.

I see Hopkins as a hustler (the right kind of hustler) with a terrific and healthy competitive streak (not far off his persona as a player). I see him as a great face to represent the program, the school and in the community. Say what you will, but that stuff does count in the real world. At least it does for organizations that care about their brand and how it is perceived from the outside (which every college should).

I see him as a 60-40 guy. His primary strength is getting talent (recruiting). That accounts for 60% of his profile. The other 40% is coaching. He's going going to need to improve here. But let's not act like he forgets to start five guys. He knows his stuff. He's gonna grow into it. Trial and error. He's a smart guy who been exposed to some terrific teachers/leaders through JAB, Coach K and USA Basketball, so I expect growth and enhanced flexibility. (Side note: I saw a study once that said a MLB manager is directly responsible for 1-3 wins a 162-game season. I don't know if I believe that to the hilt, but perhaps one's game strategy in a dugout or bench is a bit overrated by most sports fans. Just food for thought).

Everyone here gets their panties in a wad because they think he'll be JAB 2.0. Nonsense. For 20 years, Hopkins was employed at SU because he was the opposite of JAB. He was personable. He deeply and quickly connected with current players, program alumni, recruits, families and AAU/HS coaches. We need that most of the time, maybe less so in season (practice) and on game days. This is how the game is evolving. It will be interesting to see how Hopkins evolves during his second gig, ... on his proper stage, at the Dome.

Lastly, don't forget, he is not exactly going to be coaching against Louie, Big John, Calhoun and Gary Williams twice a week either. There are not many tacticians left in the game. Bill Self is a good one. Say what you will, JAB has been top 3-5 in this realm for about 30 straight years, with last year 2021-22 being an exception. But the point is, the college coaching ranks largely stink, so I am really not worried about how Hopkins will stack up against Steve Forbes, Brad Barnwell or Josh Pastner.

I liked your post.

I find the point about baseball managers to be completely irrelevant. A baseball manager could realistically put in his lineup card and go to sleep until his starter gets tired in 95% of games. A basketball coach could realistically call every single play on offense and defense the entire game. Not to mention identify matchups that benefit his team and affect substitution patterns on both ends.

If baseball managers and basketball coaches were at all equivalent, Kentucky would win every three years, Kansas and Duke every fourth, and somebody else gets to sneak in once in a while. Yet Calipari flames out in the early rounds perennially.

But winning comes down to talent more than any other factor in almost every single game. Identifying, developing and nurturing that talent is important. But nothing is more critical than getting that talent in the first place. Hopkins is very good at this aspect of college coaching. I suspect he'd be better at getting kids to stay who are thinking about leaving as well.

What we don't know for sure is what kind of in game coach Hopkins can be. Five seasons is a lot, but Bill Belichick failed his first go round of five seasons and used his experience to become one of the best game coaches ever. It didn't hurt that he draft Tom Brady. Maybe Hopkins is on the Belichick path, we don't know. But we know for sure he can bring in top players, and will probably do even better under the brighter lights of Syracuse and the ACC.

It remains to be seen if Hopkins would be the right hire, but he has everything on his resume I would want, if we aren't going to a national search. Red Autry has never been a head coach, and for me that's a non starter.

Good points, but you can run great offense and play defense but you still have to have a feel for the moment. Can he recognize what’s working or not and on the fly? Can he see things happening and adjust? I’m not sure he’s shown the ability to do this. That’s my concern.
I completely understand and share some of these types of concerns. It is why I believe that JW would “highly suggest” and adequately fund a support staff that included a bench coach -type.

I'd like your take on the article about Mike Hopkins posted at the top of page 21 by Sherrman20. Maybe you haven't read it, because I would like someone who wants Mike as our head coach to comment on it. Not one poster that wants Hop as the choice will even make a comment. It's bizarre, the data is right there in black and white. So, convince me why the writer is wrong because he sure has me convinced that Hop should not be the choice .

Good post -- I wonder the same thing.

I'd like your take on the article about Mike Hopkins posted at the top of page 21 by Sherrman20. Maybe you haven't read it, because I would like someone who wants Mike as our head coach to comment on it. Not one poster that wants Hop as the choice will even make a comment. It's bizarre, the data is right there in black and white. So, convince me why the writer is wrong because he sure has me convinced that Hop should not be the choice .
The only data in that article is the KenPom option A and B comparing the last 5 years of Romar to the first 5 of Hop and the whole luck thing. I hate to be forced into saying the same thing over and over again but if you believe that Washington is a good job (it isn't) then you probably don't want Hop. My opinion is that Hop has great relationships on the east coast and would have success recruiting here and has the best chance for success of the in house/alumni options which I believe are the only options that will be considered.

But winning comes down to talent more than any other factor in almost every single game.
clever strategy can and often does negate and overcome superior force . don't believe me ? read history.

Surprised at how well Howland did and Cronin has accomplished so far, perhaps it's bags or NIL deals? now... the only reason that Miller was successful was cheating, and well Hurley is Hurley.
Those guys can coach

This is the problem. We are not realistic about targets. Boynton is realistic. The Xavier coach might be realistic. But most named on here are pipe dreams.

And in the end when faced with the choice between a Xavier coach whose had some success but unproven in P5 vs an alum who is very well regarded in all circles (regardless of last 3 years) the choice will be obvious. The bigger dilemma for Cuse will be Hop over Red.
The Xavier coach has been fired and they hired Sean Miller. Boynton would be a realistic hire and has high upside.

Last edited:
The only data in that article is the KenPom option A and B comparing the last 5 years of Romar to the first 5 of Hop and the whole luck thing. I hate to be forced into saying the same thing over and over again but if you believe that Washington is a good job (it isn't) then you probably don't want Hop. My opinion is that Hop has great relationships on the east coast and would have success recruiting here and has the best chance for success of the in house/alumni options which I believe are the only options that will be considered.

That isn't the "only" data in the article, but the KenPom data factors into several ways that he interprets Hop's five-year tenure at UW.

Well if Mike Hopkins is the best in house/alumni options (which I agree with) then we definitely have to look for someone outside the coaching tree . Because Mike after 5 years in the Kenpom data was only better than one single coach....Ernie Kent. Yup, just one. We better have Phil Martelli on speed dial.

That isn't the "only" data in the article, but the KenPom data factors into several ways that he interprets Hop's five-year tenure at UW.

The Romar issues go deeper than wins and loses or Ken Pom rankings. People didn't want him to hire Michael Porter Sr as they thought it was in bad look but he did it despite being told not to. He also promoted Raphael Chillious and demoted Brad Jackson despite being told he couldn't do that by the AD. He had the UW basketball twitter account announce it and Brad Jackson didn't even know. I know the person that told him and he was in his office with no idea it was coming. Many of these things and the losing led to Romar losing his job. He also would just show up to practice and say things like I was reading this article on this thing so and so does and we are going to try it today without telling anyone including his assistants or planning for it. He was a nice guy but maybe the most unorganized coach ever. Some of the stories you tell other coaches and they don't believe they could even happen at the P-5 level.

HAD past tense. HAS present tense. been gone too long. opposite coast.

Nobody commented on this either.

Post in thread 'What I'm hearing'
What I'm hearing

I read the article and I thought it was fair. I’d be curious too see what his numbers look like minus the Covid year….which much like our football team, I completely throw those numbers away. It wasn’t a normal year.

Even so, his numbers aren’t going to sparkle. So I get the hesitation expressed by some.

The article does bring up a point that all programs are facing…..difficult choices in finding a replacement.

But at the end of the day, it’s not going to change my opinion - which is that I think Hop would be successful here.

Do I have concerns? Sure. I want him to put greater emphasis on shooters and have a bench coach to consult and help with offensive design.

I have no issues with playing zone (not exclusively) as long as we have the athletes to do it.

He will improve recruiting immediately - not just our recruiting, but his.
He will engage donors.
He will also be in his comfort zone…and have the experience of what went right and what went wrong at UW.

He’s known to the Syracuse administration and intangibles are part of the job as well, and he’s a home run in those areas.

I don’t think there’s this bastion of coaches that could/would come here and be successful. I think that arena is excruciatingly small.

But at the end of the day, I don’t think his performance at Washington is necessarily indicative of how he’d perform here and I’m willing to support him.

Every hire is a crap shoot. We could end up with a basketball version of Greg Robinson, fortunately JW isn’t going to let that happen.

What I'm hearing​

maxresdefault.jpg

i want a total whole do over full tumble of all the dice in my cup . out with old losers and i'll take my chances with the brand new roll. a fresh start. onwards and upwards ! YAHTZEE!

Last edited:
clever strategy can and often does negate and overcome superior force . don't believe me ? read history.
Of course you are correct. But in the game of basketball, where the court is always the same size and the baskets are always the same height, diameter and color, etc. there are a lot fewer opportunities for 300 Spartans to hold off a million Persian invaders.

As long as neither coach is a complete nincompoop, the more talented team will win most of the time, after allowing for a huge dose of randomness.

Whomever they choose, the next coach will have a lot of unknowns. But at least Hopkins checks two very important boxes for me: we know he can recruit at a very high level AT SYRACUSE and he has been a P5 head coach with a winning record.

I completely understand and share some of these types of concerns. It is why I believe that JW would “highly suggest” and adequately fund a support staff that included a bench coach -type.
HC Hop with an all-star supporting cast is my hope here. If that doesn’t pan out then get out the brooms in 3-5 years… but I think even in that unfortunate scenario the program will be left on better footing than what we’re stepping into right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom