What I'm hearing | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hop rights the ship at UW next season, they will open the vault for him.
What is righting the ship for you?
What is opening the vault to you?

You just throw words with no context.

As a fan I would not be inflated if Hop is the hire. If SU is a Top 10 job as so many people claim on this board (for the record I am not one of those), and that ADJW is playing chess while we are playing checkers (also not sold on) my hope would be we could do better than what Hop has demonstrated thus far at UW.
Even if SU were a top 15-20 job which is the floor hiring a barely above .500 coach and under .500 in conference play in 5 seasons HC as the next coach isn’t exactly inspiring.

Duke wouldn’t hire Steve Wojciechowski to replace K.
Mike Hopkins at Washington is basically Wojo at Marquette.

4 college basketball coaches make 5 million a year.
K, Calipari, Self and Beard.
Jay Wright make just under 5 million.
You just love not doing any research.
Good job good effort buddy.
UW is going to feel like they finally have a long term solution for their basketball program. They have money in Seattle.

Did you mention big money evil people want him out of there and are sabotaging him yesterday? Which is it?
Not all of them are against him. Just enough to screw things up. As you said, he turned that team around in the second half of the season, I would expect a bounce next year, maybe enough to claim a PAC12 title.

30 pages on the hypothetical replacement for a coach who may not even retire after next season.
thats wrong no GIF

Re: deflating/inflating the fan base, I think it'll almost certainly be the same answer no matter who we hire. We almost certainly won't hire someone that excites 100% of the fan base. At the end of the day, Wildhack should be going for whoever they think will be the best coach regardless of fan perception. I expect us to ultimately keep it within the family, and if that's the case, it's pretty possible they'll view Hop as the best option of the bunch.

Re: deflating/inflating the fan base, I think it'll almost certainly be the same answer no matter who we hire. We almost certainly won't hire someone that excites 100% of the fan base. At the end of the day, Wildhack should be going for whoever they think will be the best coach regardless of fan perception. I expect us to ultimately keep it within the family, and if that's the case, it's pretty possible they'll view Hop as the best option of the bunch.
There are hires that energize the fanbase.

I have laid a legitimate response to the question.

Would Duke have hired Wojo to replace K?
Scheyer had the advantage of not showing what Wojo or Dawkins did elsewhere.

Washington hasn’t made the postseason the last 2 years.
That means they haven’t heen a top 100 program those seasons.
68+32. NCAAT + NIT. If we didn’t have the Covid shut down it would be 3 years in a row as he was under .500 that season.
Johnny Dawkins was thought to be K’s original successor like Hopkins to JB.

Then Dawkins went out to Stanford for 8 years went to 1 NCAAT and won 2 NIT titles. He was fired and took the UCF job he has 1 NCAA tournament appearance there in 6 years.
He went from favorite to the Duke job to being on the hot seat at UCF now.

Hopkins shouldn’t be considered for a promotion of that the SU job would be without better results.

You want to deflate a fanbase already being divided sign it up for of the same with a coach who hasn’t proven it in a weak P5 league.
While I’m not advocating for Hop to be the next coach exactly, I would absolutely take him over any other in house candidates. What has Gmac done since he got here, why would he deserve the job over Hop, not saying you want that but I have a feeling we’re going in house, and if that’s the case I want the guy with the proven track record recruiting here, he has shown he can coach, and we would get him at a price that would be reasonable.

I’m not saying Hop is the answer, but his resume before leaving Syracuse shouldn’t be discounted and ignored.

If Hop rights the ship at UW next season, they will open the vault for him.
You can’t open the vault, while trending the right direction he needs to do it for a few years not just one and a half.

While I’m not advocating for Hop to be the next coach exactly, I would absolutely take him over any other in house candidates. What has Gmac done since he got here, why would he deserve the job over Hop, not saying you want that but I have a feeling we’re going in house, and if that’s the case I want the guy with the proven track record recruiting here, he has shown he can coach, and we would get him at a price that would be reasonable.

I’m not saying Hop is the answer, but his resume before leaving Syracuse shouldn’t be discounted and ignored.
GMac is behind Autry.

I don’t really think Autry should be the next HC either.
If our pool is Autry, Hop, GMac then Wildhack obviously will have a thin pool.
In that situation i say throw some money at Jason Hart and have him say no.

If he does then I guess its Hop vs. Autry.

If we just go straight to the idea it has to be alum the job isn’t that great.

You can’t open the vault, while trending the right direction he needs to do it for a few years not just one and a half.
AD's have to make these kind of risk decisions. If he put together 2-3 years of top level PAC12 seasons, on top of what he did in his first 2 years there, there would be a bidding war for him.

There are hires that energize the fanbase.

I have laid a legitimate response to the question.

Would Duke have hired Wojo to replace K?
Scheyer had the advantage of not showing what Wojo or Dawkins did elsewhere.
I think bringing Hop back would definitely energize portions of the fan base just like anyone else would. Again, I don't think we should really care but I know the reality of it is that we do.

The problem is the candidates listed are unrealistic and the realistic candidates aren't that exciting.

Put Hop against Kevin Willard and I am choosing Hop every time.

It's basically hope for a miracle to get Few or Oats or otherwise you're hiring a P5 assistant or low major head coach.

Knowing JW a little bit - I think it'll be Hop. JW has always been a Hop fan.

I've talked myself into Hop. The last 3 years for him haven't been great - but I really do think he'd be a lot better here. I don't understand the notion that you HAVE to have success at all stops. Why can't you fail a little, learn and grow? It's not like Hop has been absolutely atrocious.

My guess (educated guess) is JW will keep the door open for an outside hire. He's not solely going to focus in on Hop vs. Red. He will reach out to others, but Hop will win him over.

You think hiring Hopkins would deflate the fan base? Honest question
I think he would mostly be well received

One factor that hasn't been discussed is all the goodwill with former players. I keep going back to Devo's podcast and all these former players love Hopkins. He's a likable guy, and there is a narrative that this was supposed to be his job all along. There would be optimism on the recruiting front.

That being said, if Cuse has a 5-10 win season, fans would quickly sour

Not to get too personal, but how old are his kids? I feel like if they are all college age, he would be more likely to want to move back to Cuse.

The problem is the candidates listed are unrealistic and the realistic candidates aren't that exciting.

Put Hop against Kevin Willard and I am choosing Hop every time.

It's basically hope for a miracle to get Few or Oats or otherwise you're hiring a P5 assistant or low major head coach.
Hart or Hop who you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors