What I'm hearing | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think there would be a chance where Red becomes head coach and both Gmac and Griff stay on staff and they just add a third assistant or would Gmac be gone?
Griff would def stay. Gmac I think would be looking for a head coaching job if this were to happen at a smaller D1. I know Binghamton wanted Gmac but couldn’t pay him enough compared to his salary at SU but some schools that are smaller might make a push

With what’s happened tonight with UCLA and USC, SU might get left behind. The SU job wouldn’t look so desirable to better coaches. We might be lucky to get either Red of GMAC.

I put less than zero stock in your assessment, given that your friends with one of the assistant coaches. You're not being objective.
So BC I’m friends that means I know nothing about basketball, a system or a program? Lol cmon now. That’s like saying I don’t believe my friends are good at golf BC I have seen them play golf but they have never played a tournament

So BC I’m friends that means I know nothing about basketball, a system or a program? Lol cmon now. That’s like saying I don’t believe my friends are good at golf BC I have seen them play golf but they have never played a tournament
I'll tell you what, bulldog. I guarantee you that I have attended more practices by a factor of 10 than you have. I don't think you're being objective about this coaching staff's capabilities, especially since you seem congenitally incapable of acknowledging that the program is in an extended period of decline.

You've rationalized that away as the old man holding the assistant coaches back, when in fact the AC's fingerprints are also all over this train wreck.

And by the way, based upon the recent practices I've attended, I don't think that red nor gmac are anything special. In fact, I think what we see play out on the court suggests that they're not great teachers of the game. And they're generally average recruiters, at best. As a fan base, we overestimate them because we relate to them as former players.

It's possible to be incredibly appreciative of all of their contributions to the program, as players and later on as assistant coaches, and still recognize that this staff isn't getting the job done.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, bulldog. I guarantee you that I have attended more practices by a factor of 10 than you have. I don't think you're being objective about this coaching staff's capabilities, especially since you seem congenitally incapable of recognizing what the program is in an extended period of decline.

You've rationalized that away as the old man holding the assistant coaches back, when in fact the AC's fingerprints are also all over this train wreck.

And by the way, based upon the recent practices I've attended, I don't think that red nor gmac are anything special. In fact, I think what we see play out on the court suggests that they're not great teachers of the game. And they're generally average recruiters, at best. As a fan base, we overestimate them because we relate to them as former players.

It's possible to be incredibly appreciative of all of their contributions to the program, as players and later on as assistant coaches, and still recognize that this staff isn't getting the job done.
That’s totally fine if you feel that way. And I appreciate everyone on here including you Bc you are fair and don’t wear the orange glasses. I think the program is in a very difficult spot no matter what when it comes to the coaches and like I’ve said always I hope they interview as many people as they can. I’m just concerned the let down will be real if it’s not a big name. That’s all

That’s totally fine if you feel that way. And I appreciate everyone on here including you Bc you are fair and don’t wear the orange glasses. I think the program is in a very difficult spot no matter what when it comes to the coaches and like I’ve said always I hope they interview as many people as they can. I’m just concerned the let down will be real if it’s not a big name. That’s all

That's fine.

Bulldog, you and I have been a great terms. I apologize for the pointed comments about. I'm just annoyed with this subject.

Really had zero to do with you at all. Have a great weekend.

That's fine.

Bulldog, you and I have been a great terms. I apologize for the pointed comments about. I'm just annoyed with this subject.

Really had zero to do with you at all. Have a great weekend.
No apology necessary by any means. I think fair is fair and there isn’t enough of it on here where reality is what’s in front of us right now regarding the whole state of the program.

With what’s happened tonight with UCLA and USC, SU might get left behind. The SU job wouldn’t look so desirable to better coaches. We might be lucky to get either Red of GMAC.
Left behind how?

College football is washed at this point. The sport is boring and predictable. We should try and get back in the Big East if it comes to that. That would be the best thing for the long term health of the basketball program.

College football is washed at this point. The sport is boring and predictable. We should try and get back in the Big East if it comes to that. That would be the best thing for the long term health of the basketball program.

Pass. Villanova's run is over and they were only a top program in our void. Most of the conference was commuter schools. College sports used to be more popular in the big Northeast markets those schools are located in too there would be less buzz. Did the Coming to America sequel involve attending a St Johns game? Maybe if we were Catholic like ND it would be a fit but its not.

2014 was a great regular season unfortunately our coach hasn't been capable of having a good season since despite 3 nice March runs which came 3 years where most of the CBB community expected us to be in the NIT on selection sunday. I want a coach who brings us back to that and most of the big names in the sport are capable of it I know its blasphemy to suggest that anyone other than JB can win at Syracuse but JB did inherit a Final Four team.

Pass. Villanova's run is over and they were only a top program in our void. Most of the conference was commuter schools. College sports used to be more popular in the big Northeast markets those schools are located in too there would be less buzz. Did the Coming to America sequel involve attending a St Johns game? Maybe if we were Catholic like ND it would be a fit but its not.

2014 was a great regular season unfortunately our coach hasn't been capable of having a good season since despite 3 nice March runs which came 3 years where most of the CBB community expected us to be in the NIT on selection sunday. I want a coach who brings us back to that and most of the big names in the sport are capable of it I know its blasphemy to suggest that anyone other than JB can win at Syracuse but JB did inherit a Final Four team.
Technically, JB got the team 1 year later, as Danforth coached the 1975-76 team. Not many stars on this team. 1975-76 Syracuse Orange Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com. (Good players to be sure, but not stars.).

What does this even mean? I didn’t even bring up JB.

There is a different set of abilities that are needed to be successful as a CEO and a vice president. The only time a person can actually develop those abilities is when they are in that position, except in rare instances where the individual is a natural. A person who has only been an assistant coach is going to be learning on the job.
Facts

Yes! In the FACE!

I'll tell you what, bulldog. I guarantee you that I have attended more practices by a factor of 10 than you have. I don't think you're being objective about this coaching staff's capabilities, especially since you seem congenitally incapable of acknowledging that the program is in an extended period of decline.

“Friends” friends don’t come on a message board and chirp like this dude..just saying

The difference of course being that all of those three programs were performing at a high level, and thus had a reason to strive for continuity. So hiring from within [even Neptune, who was at another program but had previous ties to Nova] made sense.

Our program is mired in an extended period of decline. We need to reverse that trend, not strive to maintain the status quo.
Sure I agree, but UNC wasn’t exactly lighting it up, at least to their expected standards. And as Bulldog mentioned, these programs literally have the pick of litter and could pluck away close to any coach in the NCAA outside a select few. The fact they didn’t legitimately pursue any outside hires shows what they think about some of current state of coaches.

In the end, I think Syracuse has to hire from within. If that doesn’t work out after a few years, then that’s time to pursue someone else. Kind of like the Uconn situation with Ollie.

Left behind how?
Say Clemson and Miami/FSU bolt to the SEC. That leaves the ACC no better than the AAC in terms of football. In that case, does UNC and Duke/Virginia try to bolt to the big ten? I think they would at least try, and if that happens, the ACC will be near dead in terms of basketball too. Grant of rights is the only thing keeping the conference together right now, but from what I hear, grant of rights are somewhat iffy legally.

We already got a decent seat in the Acc.
Maybe you missed the part that we are worried about the ACC being in trouble shortly down the road. What ACC if a number of schools leave?

Seeing who Red has pulled in as just an assistant…I’m extremely intrigued how he would fair on the recruiting trail as the HC, plus Griff would be unleashed.
In case you forgot - Griff was the lead recruiter for Darius Bazley and Kooks… I think Bras and Jesse too?

Status
Not open for further replies.