What I'm hearing | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I know. He’s extremely handicapped in the NYC area. He has very good connects there and JB brushes off like 99% of NYC players now
Would we have a better shot at Ian Jackson if JB weren't head coach?

Would we have a better shot at Ian Jackson if JB weren't head coach?
I honestly don't think so because that recruitment is going to get funky (if it hasn't already) but anything is possible when you have a HC actually actively recruiting and out there like he should be instead of what we have now.

Maybe you missed the part that we are worried about the ACC being in trouble shortly down the road. What ACC if a number of schools leave?
There are a lot of things in life to worry about. Something that might happen in 5 years is not one of them. I'm more worried about the forward position next year.

There are a lot of things in life to worry about. Something that might happen in 5 years is not one of them. I'm more worried about the forward position next year.
I don't care a bit about what you are worried about. We were talking about what the University is worried about. And that we might just be in a league that really won't exist for very much longer is something the University should be very worried about. Much more so than how the forwards will do next year. Oh, and it might not be as much as 5 years.

UNC and Duke being replaced by Uconn and ECU is not going to be good for us.

I don't care a bit about what you are worried about. We were talking about what the University is worried about. And that we might just be in a league that really won't exist for very much longer is something the University should be very worried about. Much more so than how the forwards will do next year. Oh, and it might not be as much as 5 years.
They get paid a lot of money to deal with those things. I haven't heard one legit rumor of any Acc school leaving.

Up until two days ago, had anyone heard any rumors about USC and UCLA leaving the Pac for the Big 10?
True but there is no sense in getting worked up over something that hasn't happened yet.

Oh I know. He’s extremely handicapped in the NYC area. He has very good connects there and JB brushes off like 99% of NYC players now
Its too long of a drive

I do think Red and Griff would recruit really well, and I’m sure Red would add another high level assistant with great connections in the everything world.

Last edited:
They get paid a lot of money to deal with those things. I haven't heard one legit rumor of any Acc school leaving.
Everyone knows the ACC is the next to die. FSU and Clemson have been exploring the SEC for quite some time

My point is that Syracuse has attributes that those programs may not. Historical on court achievements is one positive attribute, but not the only consideration. SU’s situation gives it attributes those programs may not be able to match and make it attractive for those reasons.

1. The Dome and the ability to play before enormous crowds and how that may appeal to young recruits.

2. The Newhouse School and the number of big name national broadcasters with SU ties means that achievements on the Hill rarely go unnoticed or get lost in the shuffle.

3. A history of being dedicated to a long and lasting relationship with its head coach.

4. Being located in a mid-market from a day to day perspective but with pretty good ties to the largest market in the US (NYC).

What these kids care about:

1 making it to the NBA
2. making money in college

3. Everything else

The … represent a gargantuan gap. These kids dont care at all about 2-4. Maybe a little but about 1. That may be unfortunate but its the truth.

Everyone knows the ACC is the next to die. FSU and Clemson have been exploring the SEC for quite some time

I think the only reason they havent left is florida and usc…

Ran into an old friend/client last night who’s pretty well-connected in the world of professional and college sports. He gave me 2 SU-related nuggets:

1. JB will step down after the ‘22-‘23 season. His successor is already on the staff.

2. Babers is on thin ice. Wildhack reached out to Marrone as recently as a few months ago regarding the HC job, but Marrone was not interested.

Flame away.
The more I think about this, the less I believe Cuse decided on a successor and he's on the staff. If that were the case, there would be every reason to announce the decision, and withholding that information only hurts recruiting etc. Even if the timing is unclear, why wouldn't they announce the decision? Last time the HCIW was on the staff, they were very public about it.

If I were to bet, given the circumstances, I would bet the position is still open and they are discretely interviewing candidates (both staff and non-staff candidates) or they have a secret gentlemen's deal with Hop.

The more I think about this, the less I believe Cuse decided on a successor and he's on the staff. If that were the case, there would be every reason to announce the decision, and withholding that information only hurts recruiting etc. Even if the timing is unclear, why wouldn't they announce the decision? Last time the HCIW was on the staff, they were very public about it.

If I were to bet, given the circumstances, I would bet the position is still open and they are discretely interviewing candidates (both staff and non-staff candidates) or they have a secret gentlemen's deal with Hop.

Ding, ding, ding.

It would make zero sense not to announce it, to prevent a bunch of negative recruiting.

And I'll take it one step further. Trey autry's comments about going through the recruiting process, not having an SU offer extended, etc is telling, as well.

Ding, ding, ding.

It would make zero sense not to announce it, to prevent a bunch of negative recruiting.

And I'll take it one step further. Trey autry's comments about going through the recruiting process, not having an SU offer extended, etc is telling, as well.
Yup cus you’d have to think the people in charge of the ship realize that if he was known as the “next man in charge” future recruits and other people would look at him as more or less “the man” already and that would coincide with an atleast a minimal uptick in recruiting, more efforts in recruiting, less negative recruiting against us, etc.

It was a different “they” when Hop got named and that was the trendy thing to do at the time.

Without digging through past posts I do remember an incoming recruit (Taylor?) had his mom post something about playing for Gerry which I found a bit odd.

Point being kids could be told those guys or a combo will be here for a while.

It was a different “they” when Hop got named and that was the trendy thing to do at the time.

Without digging through past posts I do remember an incoming recruit (Taylor?) had his mom post something about playing for Gerry which I found a bit odd.

Point being kids could be told those guys or a combo will be here for a while.
Yup that’s why so many programs value continuity. They want to keep players the staff has recruited for years, have relationships with them including their families, worked hard to develop, investing so much time to fit and acclimate them to their system etc.

Data was posted awhile back, and here is the helicopter view summary. About 70% of replacement coaches over a multi-decade period of time, replacing successful predecessors at high major programs fail to perform to the level of their predecessor.

Please note -- that is not the predecessor at their best, just where the program is when the entrenched head coach steps down.

Now, think about how that applies to where we are. We've averaged 13.85 losses over an eight year span. We had a losing record last season, and could be staring down the barrel of another challenging season. We've failed to qualify for the NCAA tournament twice in that 8 years span, and probably wouldn't a third time if the college season hadn't gotten cancelled due to COVID in 2020.

And from that "norm," we have a 70% chance of the replacement not performing up to that level.

Which is why it would be insane to hand the keys over to a completely unproven commodity like Red or GMac, that no other team has been interested in hiring.

A much more strategic approach would be to do everything we need to do to maximize our chances of being in the ~30% who DO exceed the level of performance when they take over, and don't fail. We don't have time to "see what anyone can do" -- we've already declined.

We need the next head coach to elevate the program, not maintain a subpar status quo.

RF I think that is the reason the decision will be fairly easy for JW to stay in house. You can satisfy the outgoing King Kong, much of the fundraising and boosterdom, alumni, etc and go cheap on the salary (relatively speaking). Since anybody you hire is unlikely to succeed, no real loss in giving Red a shot. If he fails (as just sheer statistics would indicate he will), then you go big with the national search, etc. it’s exactly what Duke and UNC calculated was the right move.

RF I think that is the reason the decision will be fairly easy for JW to stay in house. You can satisfy the outgoing King Kong, much of the fundraising and boosterdom, alumni, etc and go cheap on the salary (relatively speaking). Since anybody you hire is unlikely to succeed, no real loss in giving Red a shot. If he fails (as just sheer statistics would indicate he will), then you go big with the national search, etc. it’s exactly what Duke and UNC calculated was the right move.

It was the right move for them because they wanted continuity. They wanted stability, and induced case they wanted to continuation / perpetuation of outstanding recruiting.

Our program is in a sustained period of decline. We're not recruiting all that well. Therefore, continuity is not the right move for our program.

And I'll take it one step further, despite this telephone game of everyone hearing it's a done deal with Red, the silence is deafening. If they were going to hire in house, after JB's comments about there being an"ironclad plan" in place for his departure, why wouldn't it be made public?

Answer:. because there is no plan in place. If there were, it would make all the sense in the world to announce it, put that in the rearview mirror, and satisfy all the conditions you've list in your post. But instead, nothing has been disclosed. Want to know why that is? Because the AD isn't planning on hiring from within.

And one more thing, our program can't afford further decline with an unproven commodity. If we were a 22 win team, getting to the NCAA fairly easy with decent seeds, I 100% be in favor of red or GMAC. But that's not where we are currently. We don't need someone to maintain our subpar status quo, we need a coach who can pull us out of this funk and get things back on track. Too risky to go with a candidate that no other college has interest in, and no reason to delimit our options that way.

Instead of not bothering to try because the odds are against us, how about we take every step to position ourselves to be in the 30% that do succeed?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.