What I'm hearing | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My whole thing is how many games did Hubert Davis win as a college coach before he got the gig? ZERO. They could have gone anywhere and they hired within.
Jon Scheyer has won ZERO games as a head coach and they could have gotten anyone and they hired within and recruiting is at an all time high for them

People that think Syracuse is going to land a coach who makes millions of dollars more at other schools are completely delusional.

I’m not saying Red is the best choice but you don’t know what you don’t know. And when you look at 2 programs like Duke and UNC who could pay anyone in the world and get anyone in the world, how can you not say it’s okay to hire from within? And we aren’t them, they have more resources more money more prestige and yet they chose to stay in house. I’m putting some merit into that
I agree with a lot of that, but...

• Hubert Davis is a recognized name. A former NBA pro. And NC is still NC. They're still The GOAT's team and almost the walking Jordan Brand.
• Scheyer... that's a closer comp, but Duke wasn't down when they chose him. Continuity for them comes from The King anointing the Prince. And they still have all the NBA players and Cameron and the culture and the hype and the jedi mind trick and Vitale. They could have chosen a grad student and if K said he's the guy, they would still continue to recruit... for a while, until the guy proved himself not to be the guy.

Red has no NBA legacy. He's known to us because we're us. To the outside world, his name has no caché, and he represents more of the same, and the same is .500 to any player we hope to sign, because those kids were zygotes when we were a top 10 team. GMac's 45 points or 6 3s in the NCAAs and his BET triumphs... they were a long time ago. Does the Melo Center have those clips playing on a loop? If not, they're kinda moot to anyone we're recruiting outside of Scranton.

I totally agree: you don't know until you know, and even then you don't 'know' know. My only objection to Redmac comes from my supposition that we'll continue to be a zone team. If that weren't true, and without a clear outside option, fine—Red is basically what Hopkins was years ago. Coaching isn't rocket surgery. It's about dedication, opportunity, hustle, passion, recruiting, and happenstance.

I agree with a lot of that, but...

• Hubert Davis is a recognized name. A former NBA pro. And NC is still NC. They're still The GOAT's team and almost the walking Jordan Brand.
• Scheyer... that's a closer comp, but Duke wasn't down when they chose him. Continuity for them comes from The King anointing the Prince. And they still have all the NBA players and Cameron and the culture and the hype and the jedi mind trick and Vitale. They could have chosen a grad student and if K said he's the guy, they would still continue to recruit... for a while, until the guy proved himself not to be the guy.

Red has no NBA legacy. He's known to us because we're us. To the outside world, his name has no caché, and he represents more of the same, and the same is .500 to any player we hope to sign, because those kids were zygotes when we were a top 10 team. GMac's 45 points or 6 3s in the NCAAs and his BET triumphs... they were a long time ago. Does the Melo Center have those clips playing on a loop? If not, they're kinda moot to anyone we're recruiting outside of Scranton.

I totally agree: you don't know until you know, and even then you don't 'know' know. My only objection to Redmac comes from my supposition that we'll continue to be a zone team. If that weren't true, and without a clear outside option, fine—Red is basically what Hopkins was years ago. Coaching isn't rocket surgery. It's about dedication, opportunity, hustle, passion, recruiting, and happenstance.

Hubert Davis got 3 gift free throws in 1994. That’s about the whole of his NBA fame. But he’s a Tar Heel through and through and can sell it.

My whole thing is how many games did Hubert Davis win as a college coach before he got the gig? ZERO. They could have gone anywhere and they hired within.
Jon Scheyer has won ZERO games as a head coach and they could have gotten anyone and they hired within and recruiting is at an all time high for them

People that think Syracuse is going to land a coach who makes millions of dollars more at other schools are completely delusional.

I’m not saying Red is the best choice but you don’t know what you don’t know. And when you look at 2 programs like Duke and UNC who could pay anyone in the world and get anyone in the world, how can you not say it’s okay to hire from within? And we aren’t them, they have more resources more money more prestige and yet they chose to stay in house. I’m putting some merit into that
I wouldn't complain if Red got the job I would just like to see what big name coaches would have interest first. Nothing wrong with that.

I think you keep it in house mostly for recruiting continuity, so the 2023 class might be a bit more telling. I’m very interested in how Kyle Neptune (good recruiter but was very mediocre at Fordham) does at Villanova but they a lotto pick on their roster.

Last edited:
The difference of course being that all of those three programs were performing at a high level, and thus had a reason to strive for continuity. So hiring from within [even Neptune, who was at another program but had previous ties to Nova] made sense.

Our program is mired in an extended period of decline. We need to reverse that trend, not strive to maintain the status quo.
Why do you think Red or Gmac wont do well?

I don't put merit into the Duke & UNC situations because of how vastly different the status of the programs are compared to SU - I'm not sure how people aren't recognizing that it's not the same...at all.

If Cuse were a top 10 team every year, Red/GMac were known on the recruiting trail for being a big time recruiter (as Scheyer is, and they are not) this would not be a debate, hire within. Recruiting is down, winning % is down, program allure is down. To just say "hire within because it worked for blue bloods" is a recipe for making a misguided decision. Recognize the state of the program, the quality of what the assistant have brought/or lack thereof, and make the appropriate decision.

Not saying in-house CAN'T be the choice, but the Duke/UNC discussion holds little weight in my eyes given the drastic turnaround in the program necessary at this time.

Why do you think Red or Gmac wont do well?
Why do you think they will do well? Look, either one might be the next Coach K. But so far, they have done very little to suggest that. The objection I believe is just to hand them the keys to the car. It would be one thing if it was Hop after the 2013 season. Or even after the 2016 season. But it's not. We haven't been very good for quite a while. There can't be any denying that. What have either of these two guys done to merit getting this job? Other than having the fortune of sitting next to a Hall of Fame coach, not much. And every other school in D-1 has told you that by not offering either of them a D-1 job. Hop, when he was here, had offers. Red and G-Mac haven't. What would be wrong with a open search for the best possible candidate. This isn't a let's hire Brad Stevens or Jay Wright. We aren't a candidate for those guys. But there are people out there that given the chance, just might knock it out of the ball park for us. It's sure worth taking a look at in any case.

Why do you think they will do well? Look, either one might be the next Coach K. But so far, they have done very little to suggest that. The objection I believe is just to hand them the keys to the car. It would be one thing if it was Hop after the 2013 season. Or even after the 2016 season. But it's not. We haven't been very good for quite a while. There can't be any denying that. What have either of these two guys done to merit getting this job? Other than having the fortune of sitting next to a Hall of Fame coach, not much. And every other school in D-1 has told you that by not offering either of them a D-1 job. Hop, when he was here, had offers. Red and G-Mac haven't. What would be wrong with a open search for the best possible candidate. This isn't a let's hire Brad Stevens or Jay Wright. We aren't a candidate for those guys. But there are people out there that given the chance, just might knock it out of the ball park for us. It's sure worth taking a look at in any case.

Agreed 144%!!!!

Why would we NOT look at outside candidates??
There's literally ZERO reason NOT to.

Yes, I am sure that Red, Hop, and GMac (what, no Griff?) will also be given consideration.

But NONE of them should be the leader in the clubhouse, for any reason.

Limiting our search to alumni who played for/coached with JAB is needlessly self-limiting.

Many of our very best seasons were years when we had at least one NON-Alum on the coaching staff.
Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, et al.

Agreed 144%!!!!

Why would we NOT look at outside candidates??

There's literally ZERO reason NOT to.

Yes, I am sure that Red, Hop, and GMac (what, no Griff?) will also be given consideration.

But NONE of them should be the leader in the clubhouse, for any reason.

Limiting our search to alumni who played for/coached with JAB is needlessly self-limiting.

Many of our very best seasons were years when we had at least one NON-Alum on the coaching staff.
Troy Weaver, Rob Murphy, et al.
While I agree we should look at all candidates from both the inside and outside, ADJW has shown us thus far he likes to hire individuals within the Syracuse umbrella. Hopefully, he truly does a complete thorough search.

Great post!!

I am willing to bet 100% that our next head coach is either Hop, Red or GMAC. If anybody would like to take the field against these three potential coaches, please DM me

Play a game with me:

John Wildhack has added you to a panel of interviewers for the next head coach of the Men's basketball team. You are asked to prepare two questions, each with two follow up questions. What would you ask?

My take:
  1. For years Syracuse basketball has been tightly associated with the Zone defense. Many observers have justified this, while others have been critical. Assuming you are the next Syracuse Men’s Basketball Head Coach, what is your philosophy about playing man-to-man defense versus zone, or for that matter, any other defense?
Follow up questions:
  1. If you think one is more suitable to the Syracuse situation, why?
  2. How would you change the current recruiting model to suit your preferred defense?
  1. For better or worse, NIL has changed the playing field in how colleges recruit players. How would you approach recruiting in the face of financial constraints for a school like Syracuse?
Follow up questions:
  1. If you could change one strategy that Syracuse is currently pursuing, what would it be?
  2. What strategies would you pursue to maintain talent on the bench?

True or false - you can get a slice and wings in the same line at Varsity.

Do you have the cell # for the local DA.

FALSE.

Slices at the F, wings (and all other non-pizza food) at the R.

I don't put merit into the Duke & UNC situations because of how vastly different the status of the programs are compared to SU - I'm not sure how people aren't recognizing that it's not the same...at all.

If Cuse were a top 10 team every year, Red/GMac were known on the recruiting trail for being a big time recruiter (as Scheyer is, and they are not) this would not be a debate, hire within. Recruiting is down, winning % is down, program allure is down. To just say "hire within because it worked for blue bloods" is a recipe for making a misguided decision. Recognize the state of the program, the quality of what the assistant have brought/or lack thereof, and make the appropriate decision.

Not saying in-house CAN'T be the choice, but the Duke/UNC discussion holds little weight in my eyes given the drastic turnaround in the program necessary at this time.
Right said, Fred. We are not Duke or UNC. What they did shouldn't have much influence on what SU does.

I'm guessing that a plan, or at least the concept of the plan, has been in place since the end of the season and that JB is on board with the plan. I'm not convinced that JB's successor is set in stone...yet. But, there has been a lot of smoke around Red. None of that smoke, that I am aware of anyway, is coming from within the AD's office.

I like the analogy of Red or Gmac just getting "the keys to the car"...
And that's the problem..with either of these 2 guys it's likely to be the same car.
Tires have little tread left, the seats are worn and the paint faded.
We need a new car, one that will bring 30,000+ back to the dome REGULARLY.
0-60 in 5 seconds.
Lately Cuse has been I hope we hit our 3 pt shot and hope THEY miss their 3 pt shot.
If we're skilled, hardnosed, look to run, play harassing D, we no longer need to hope.

What would be wrong with a open search for the best possible candidate. This isn't a let's hire Brad Stevens or Jay Wright. We aren't a candidate for those guys. But there are people out there that given the chance, just might knock it out of the ball park for us. It's sure worth taking a look at in any case.

And, after going through that process, if the people doing the hiring still think that Red or GMac are the best available candidate, then everyone should feel better about the direction we're headed. If Red or GMac aren't the best available candidate, or really close to it, then they shouldn't be getting the job.

And, after going through that process, if the people doing the hiring still think that Red or GMac are the best available candidate, then everyone should feel better about the direction we're headed. If Red or GMac aren't the best available candidate, or really close to it, then they shouldn't be getting the job.
Exactly

Phenomenal post, Dasher.

I certainly think the interview process should involve several outside candidates along with red. But for those who say there isn’t anything that suggests he could be good a coach, what game have you seen him coach ?

I’ve been to practice. I’ve been to shootarounds. I think all of you would be wildly surprised at his coaching ability. If he was allowed to run his system, I think many of you would genuinely like what they see. Does that result in wins? I don’t know. But to say he doesn’t have what it takes without ever coaching a game I think is very crazy take.

Red and Griff run a completely different style of basketball than JB and Gmac. I do not want Gmacs system. But Red I’m all for. I’m also all for the right candidate, but there’s just as much uncertainty with someone who isn’t a huge name. Some huge names will be considered, but I don’t think any will bite

all of the zany emojis, eating-popcorn gifs, and crying Jordan memes in the world won't be sufficient for how this place will be when one of the current assistants is named HC... will make the tantrums over daddyball look downright quaint

all of the zany emojis, eating-popcorn gifs, and crying Jordan memes in the world won't be sufficient for how this place will be when one of the current assistants is named HC... will make the tantrums over daddyball look downright quaint
But then if an outside coach fails, two years into it everyone will say “we shoulda stayed in house. They know the program. Know the recruiting trail, etc”. We know our fans lol

I certainly think the interview process should involve several outside candidates along with red. But for those who say there isn’t anything that suggests he could be good a coach, what game have you seen him coach ?

I’ve been to practice. I’ve been to shootarounds. I think all of you would be wildly surprised at his coaching ability. If he was allowed to run his system, I think many of you would genuinely like what they see. Does that result in wins? I don’t know. But to say he doesn’t have what it takes without ever coaching a game I think is very crazy take.

Red and Griff run a completely different style of basketball than JB and Gmac. I do not want Gmacs system. But Red I’m all for. I’m also all for the right candidate, but there’s just as much uncertainty with someone who isn’t a huge name. Some huge names will be considered, but I don’t think any will bite
Do you think there would be a chance where Red becomes head coach and both Gmac and Griff stay on staff and they just add a third assistant or would Gmac be gone?

But then if an outside coach fails, two years into it everyone will say “we shoulda stayed in house. They know the program. Know the recruiting trail, etc”. We know our fans lol
Right, and I'm not saying the mob-vitriol that will undoubtedly come when gmac or Red is named will be justified - just saying I know this place and how it gets

Status
Not open for further replies.