What I'm hearing | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax, everyone.

Adam Weitsman will have Kevin Warren sitting courtside at a Cuse-FSU game with the Pope, Easter Bunny and Michael Jordan.

We got this.
I hear Pope and Easter Bunny can come in and teach man to man D. Or man to bunny. Or something

RU doesn't deliver NY more than SU and they don't deliver Mass. PSU has PA, but taking WVU would not work for the Big Ten. They wouldn't take Cincinnati or probably Louisville.
A good SU team can land some tv numbers.
UNC, Duke, Virginia?

And I’ve been living in Boston the past few years now. Hope you realize they’re are literally no BC fans here, let alone in the rest of Massachusetts. No one cares about them. They’re definitely more Ohio State, Michigan, and other people here among the NCAA fans. But in the end, people only care about the pro sports. It’s the same in NYC and most major markets, where you have alumni/fans from all over the country, and which the locals usually only care about their pro teams.

UNC, Duke, Virginia?

And I’ve been living in Boston the past few years now. Hope you realize they’re are literally no BC fans here, let alone in the rest of Massachusetts. No one cares about them. They’re definitely more Ohio State, Michigan, and other people here among the NCAA fans. But in the end, people only care about the pro sports. It’s the same in NYC and most major markets, where you have alumni/fans from all over the country, and which the locals usually only care about their pro teams.
If BC were in the Big 10, that could change things

Hop should be murderously mad at JB.

Why? He made his choice, and choices have consequences.

If he was killing it at UW like many of you thought he would initially, then this wouldn't matter. Since he's basically crapped out there, he shouldn't lament not having an orange colored safety net.

Why? He made his choice, and choices have consequences.

If he was killing it at UW like many of you thought he would initially, then this wouldn't matter. Since he's basically crapped out there, he shouldn't lament not having an orange colored safety net.
Made a choice? He didn’t have a choice imo.

Correct. And JB has surrounded himself with yes men.

None of them are bulldog recruiters, they can't seem to get JB to listen which suggests that they lack The assertiveness chops needed, etc

Just some of the many reasons why the in-house candidates are under qualified.

To mikesu2002's question above, I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 to 33% is on the assistant coaches. Even with JB being authoritarian, Hop seem to get it done on the recruiting trail. Can you envision Weaver not bringing in top flight talent?

I get the hope that the guy is on the bench could change things around, but it seems like wishful thinking given the track record of the last 8 years, and what we see unfold in recruiting. Lots of near misses, not enough results -- on and off the court.
That first paragraph/sentence, you are wrong about. They play their part of course and JB will throw down the hammer but those 3 dudes try their hardest vs JB. I dont envy their position or job

That first paragraph/sentence, you are wrong about. They play their part of course and JB will throw down the hammer but those 3 dudes try their hardest vs JB. I dont envy their position or job

Not really. They try and are ineffectual. An inability to manage upward effectively is an indicator of their relative limitations as leaders.

I certainly don't disagree that JB is difficult, and has gotten worse with age. But he doesn't listen to them at all. That's... telling.

There's a collective dysfunction around this group that has dragged the program down. That's one of the main reasons that I'm not in favor of hiring from within -- we need new blood / a fresh approach to snap out of the malaise.

Last edited:
Not really. They try and are ineffectual. An inability to manage upward effectively is an indicator of their relative limitations as leaders.

I certainly don't disagree that JB is difficult, and has gotten worse with age. But he doesn't listen to them at all. That's... telling.
Also, representative to where he’s been over the last many years as a coach. Unwilling to let outside voices help evaluate an ever changing landscape.

"FJB," but...

It's important to keep it in the family...

JB's going to pick his successor...

It would be a slap in the face to JB to go against his wishes...

Hop's the clubhouse front runner...

Hop's getting the first call...

I don't agree with the above, just pointing out some of the logic being thrown around, and how it begins to break down when layers get peeled back.
Not following…slow Weds I guess

There's a collective dysfunction around this group that has dragged the program down. That's one of the main reasons that I'm not in favor of hiring from within -- we need new blood / a fresh approach to snap out of the malaise.
I disagree about managing up at least in terms of the broad strokes. Honest question but do you manage up to CEO level in your D2D? It’s tough and lots of them are unmanageable.

My guy…Hop is in play. He’s getting a call
Yeah I’m totally confused here. I think JW sticks to his plan, no additional contract and JB has his swan song this year. Mike is getting the first call from JW. If he takes, GMAC moves up and RED and GRIFF move on. If he doesn’t, next offer is to
RED, in which case Griff moves up and GMAC moves on.

Correct. And JB has surrounded himself with yes men.

None of them are bulldog recruiters, they can't seem to get JB to listen which suggests that they lack The assertiveness chops needed, etc

Just some of the many reasons why the in-house candidates are under qualified.

To mikesu2002's question above, I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 to 33% is on the assistant coaches. Even with JB being authoritarian, Hop seem to get it done on the recruiting trail. Can you envision Weaver not bringing in top flight talent?

I get the hope that the guy is on the bench could change things around, but it seems like wishful thinking given the track record of the last 8 years, and what we see unfold in recruiting. Lots of near misses, not enough results -- on and off the court.
Half the guys we recruit now aren't even top 100 in most recruiting services. We just offered a 2023 3 star. Mintz is the only top 40 guy we have got in a while and that was serendipity in an unusual situation. Something big needs to change to charge recruiting.

Yeah I’m totally confused here. I think JW sticks to his plan, no additional contract and JB has his swan song this year. Mike is getting the first call from JW. If he takes, GMAC moves up and RED and GRIFF move on. If he doesn’t, next offer is to
That's not his plan.

If those two contingencies are "his plan," then JW has a lot less strategic acumen than I've given him credit for.

And JB has a lot less clout than many of you give him credit for.

I'm confused, too.

JB has two years remaining on his contract? So, if this is his last year, it's going to play as if he's been fired, not just decided to retire a year early, and after saying he's not even near ready to retire. I hope they have the messaging crafted well...

Then, JB is pissed at Mike, and so Mike is 100% out of the picture, but then he's the first call? Which?

I really, really hope JB's grudges aren't determining the next 10-20 years of this program. First it was some petty remark from Oats and now it's Mike?

We don't have an HCiW, because...? Because that didn't work the last time and it might play in the media as "here they go again—let's see how this one blows up?" Or, because JW is just going to wait to see if someone else emerges at the 11th hour? One way or another, this seems like it's being mismanaged, even if it isn't. Which kinda is mismanaging it. I really wish i knew what HS kids are being told. I'm sorta surprised that's not leaking.

That's not his plan.

If those two contingencies are "his plan," then JW has a lot less strategic acumen than I've given him credit for.

And JB has a lot less clout than many of you give him credit for.
I don’t think JB has much of any “clout” here on this topic. But it doesn’t matter

Hop is going to need someone that recruits, if Gmac is the only holdover then Hop is in trouble and he’ll be lucky to last 3 years.

I'm in this camp also. I think there is a "plan" in place regarding when JB will step down, AND a hierarchy of who will get the first call. I'm with you, that first call is going to Hop. Next in line if Hop turns this down is likely more fluid - it might depend on who is available and interested at the time.

Wild guess, but JB might already have an extension as part of the plan - not that he will coach that full contract (fingers crossed). More so that he can "honestly" tell recruits that the "plan is I will be your coach for X years."

Made a choice? He didn’t have a choice imo.
I have to agree with you there. Hop left so that he wouldn't have to take the job away from his mentor who made it clear that he didn't want to retire. Hop did nothing wrong. Now, I had serious doubts about him and after seeing him coach, he wouldn't be my first choice. But he did nothing wrong when he left Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom