What I'm hearing | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, one quibble: Pitino is not a member of the SU family.

pitino.png

What about it Ed Cooley? He’s a guy who could really take the next step at a place like Syracuse. I think Willard could work, too, but I don’t think it’s realistic as there’s probably too much bad blood there with JB over Taurean, Kadary and other issues.
Pretty sure PC is locking up Cooley.

Well, I get your point but he sorta is. First JB ass't. For those of us old guys and girls, who were around then, we look at him as a Syracuse guy. He loved his time at Syracuse. I do know that.
I stand by my assessment, but understand your's too.

I felt no level of pride when he won with the PC, Knicks, Celts, UK, Louisville, Greece and zero shame when he finished in 4 seconds in the restaurant. He is a really good coach. I just don't see him as a member of the SU basketball family. No.

Way I see it odds that the next coach are successful is greater than zero but probably not super high. The whole "don't wanna be the guy that follows the guy" thing.

That said, here's how I order the odds of success of guys from the family:

Pitino - highest

Hart
Hop

Autry

GMac
We can forget Slick Rick. SU isn’t hiring a guy with his baggage.

If Hop is hired, the emotional side of me will always root for him. He’s a Cuse guy. Was key to our success. Part of the title group. I wish he had taken over when it was originally time for him.

My rational side would not be excited. Also, a lot would be dependent on the ACs. If he had a vet bench coach and Hart included on his bench, well then I’d be intrigued.

I think the excitement with the fan base will also depend on how the program is when JB leaves, which is no fault of Hop’s. If we have a season where we win 13 games, JB throws kids under the bus and generally just tells fans to get a life, I think that is a bad setup for Hop just by association.

It would also help if Hop got the job, it came with landing a number of big recruits right after being named and a strong AC roster, then I think fans will feel better.

This is all assuming that it’s 90% Hop or Red with some external candidacy but not a true national search, which is what actually want.

We can forget Slick Rick. SU isn’t hiring a guy with his baggage.

Nor at his age.

But mostly the former.

And here's the thing:
I absolutely believe he could get things turned around, and rapidly.
But - he's a walking show-cause waiting to happen, and we're already playing with 2 strikes against us.

I felt no level of pride when he won with the PC, Knicks, Celts, UK, Louisville, Greece and zero shame when he finished in 4 seconds in the restaurant. He is a really good coach. I just don't see him as a member of the SU basketball family. No.
Reggie Jackson played a season for the Orioles.
Reggie Jackson is not a member of the Orioles family.
baltimore-orioles-reggie-jackson-august-30-1976-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

I understand. I think the difference is I was at Syracuse when Rick was an ass't. That makes it a tie that binds.

I guess Carmelo Anthony isn’t a part of the Cuse family either. 3 or more years pal, take your name off the Melo Center and here’s your donation back.
Carmelo's greatest on-court moment came as an Orangeman. That is obviously not the case with Pitino.

I also don't see Nick Saban as a member the the SU Football family. It is an interesting footnote that he spent on season (1977) on campus as an assistant coach. But nothing more. Same/similar for Pitino.

Carmelo's greatest on-court moment came as an Orangeman. That is obviously not the case with Pitino.

I also don't see Nick Saban as a member the the SU Football family. It is an interesting footnote that he spent on season (1977) on campus as an assistant coach. But nothing more. Same/similar for Pitino.

What are the qualifications to be part of "the lineage" then??

... or is it a "gut tells me this" arbitrary assessment?

Last edited:

Saban was an ass't for a guy that was fired at Syracuse. He didn't leave to become a Head Coach. He left to be an ass't at West Virginia. Once again, I was a student while both were here. I think if you asked both Pitino and Saban about Syracuse, you would have two very different response.

The difference is that Pitino and Boeheim and their families have remained close friends over the years, Pitino coached in the Big East at two different programs and coached against Syracuse regularly, and Pitino is a New York guy.

You think hiring Hopkins would deflate the fan base? Honest question

It shouldn't!!

There will be people that are pissed but come on those will be fans much like those that post "Mark Few, Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens" should be the coaches that Syracuse should reach out to whenever JAB leaves his post.

Hop is a top recruiter nationally. People reference how Washington performed with Stewart and the gang. They had no point guard after Quade became ineligible. Everyone here should have a decent idea how a college basketball team looks/performs without a point guard!!!!!

From what I gathered here Hop was the one that was trying to get the SU staff to move on from QG and then gets let down royally by him out at UW. Talk about irony...

It shouldn't!!

There will be people that are pissed but come on those will be fans much like those that post "Mark Few, Jay Wright, Rick Pitino, Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens" should be the coaches that Syracuse should reach out to whenever JAB leaves his post.

Hop is a top recruiter nationally. People reference how Washington performed with Stewart and the gang. They had no point guard after Quade became ineligible. Everyone here should have a decent idea how a college basketball team looks/performs without a point guard!!!!!

From what I gathered here Hop was the one that was trying to get the SU staff to move on from QG and then gets let down royally by him out at UW. Talk about irony...
How is Hop a top recruiter nationally and he isn’t recruiting well at Washington now.
He clearly has East coast contacts but he isn’t recruiting well at Washington the last few years.

I do.
His performance at Washington won’t inspire optimism that he should be given the keys to the HC job.

Performance matters.
Hop was an excellent number 2 here. That doesn’t mean he will be an excellent number 1. The performance at Washington doesn’t inspire confidence.

If he has contacts on the East coast why won’t those players continue going to play for him out West.
Players go for the coach.
Stewart went out there.
Why has it stopped?
Stewart was a first round pick so Hop can sell that.

I like Hop but he hasn’t shown enough to think he will do here as HC. Wildhack’s list if its only alums lacks faith.
I think it would deflate about 35 people on this site ... and that might be the whole list.

This week has been very, very cool with the introduction for Coach Felisha Legette-Jack at Head Coach. Great job by Wildhack. She played four seasons on The Hill, coached here for a short bit of time post playing career. This hire has been in the cards for a while now. Thrilled it is official and she is onboard.

Mike Hopkins spent 25-26 years in Syracuse playing, coaching and/or marrying his wife. He chose to make our neighborhood his hometown for a quarter century. He is certainly one of us.

While none of this automatically means he will get the job or be a smashing success, it does ensure that this will be a wildly popular appointment when it comes to pass. It's a mortal lock, contrary to what Alsacs and the Doomsday Cult might insinuate.

I am also really glad that Wildhack did not hold Coach FLJ's early career struggles at Hofstra or IU against her. And I assume that Wildhack called Dawn Staley and made her say "no." Right?

Last edited:
I think it would deflate about 35 people on this site ... and that might be the whole list.

This week has been very, very cool with the introduction for Coach Felisha Legette-Jack at Head Coach. Great job by Wildhack. She played four seasons on The Hill, coached her for a short time. This hire has been in the cards for a while now. Thrilled it is official and she is onboard.

Mike Hopkins spent 25-26 years in Syracuse playing, coaching and/or marrying his wife. He chose to make our neighborhood his hometown for a quarter century. He is certainly one of us.

While none of this automatically means he will get the job or be a smashing success, it does ensure that this will be a wildly popular appointment when it comes to pass. It's a mortal lock, contrary to what Alsacs and the Doomsday Crew might insinuate.

I am also really glad that Wildhack did not hold Coach FLJ's early career struggles at Hofstra or IU against her. Right?
Lol this post makes stuff way to personal.
If I bother you that much. Put me on jgnore. Your post legit made me laugh.
My god.
I make it pretty clear I don’t care if people disagree with my opinions as long as what is said.
This post is freaking hilarious.

FLJ was a home run. It’s also a non revenue sport. The idea you would compare her hire to men’s basketball is just hilariously pointless and out of context of reality.

FLJ is a great hire. It has NOTHING to do with hiring Mike Hopkins. Syracuse men’s basketball job is not the same as Syracuse women’s basketball job.

The points brought up to be worried about hiring Hopkins are all legit. It’s not personal like you try to make opinions you don’t like personal.

Thanks for the funny post i needed it during my lunch.
Lol.

Lol this post makes stuff way to personal.
If I bother you that much. Put me on jgnore. Your post legit made me laugh.
My god.
I make it pretty clear I don’t care if people disagree with my opinions as long as what is said.
This post is freaking hilarious.

FLJ was a home run. It’s also a non revenue sport. The idea you would compare her hire to men’s basketball is just hilariously pointless and out of context of reality.

FLJ is a great hire. It has NOTHING to do with hiring Mike Hopkins. Syracuse men’s basketball job is not the same as Syracuse women’s basketball job.

The points brought up to be worried about hiring Hopkins are all legit. It’s not personal like you try to make opinions you don’t like personal.

Thanks for the funny post i needed it during my lunch.
Lol.
It's 4 p.m. It's way past lunch in North Carolina. What kind of American are you?

It's 4 p.m. It's way past lunch in North Carolina. What kind of American are you?
I had a meeting from 2:30-3:30pm so i took a late lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom