What I'm hearing | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there's a 0% chance JW hires someone who is not a SU basketball alumni. 0%. It can't imagine it's not simply between Red and Hop.

JB commented on Coach K's succession plan, specifically the part where it was passed down within the program, and said something like "that's the way to do it".

I think Hop is the first choice, in part, because nothing has been announced. Obviously you cannot announce the plan if it involves taking Washington's coach. On the other hand, you could announce the plan if it involved promoting the SU associate head coach, and, from a talent retention and recruiting standpoint, I don't see any benefit to withholding that information if that's the case. If Red's taking over, it would be easier to land and keep players if you tell them that. Last time there was a succession plan (when Hop was coach-in-waiting), they announced the plan. Granted things changed and the plan wasn't executed, but it didn't fail because the plan was public. What reason would SU have to do anything differently the second time (except maybe not identifying an exact deadline in case JB wants an extra year or two)?

On the other hand, maybe it's private simply because JB doesn't like talking about his retirement. We all know that, and Buddy even said as much on a recent podcast I believe with Mike Waters. Buddy said he thinks JB coaches 1-3 more years (with 3 being likely the absolute most), but said he has no idea and JB doesn't talk about it (who knows if that's true, but the point remains).

Also, Chris Bunch said he really liked Hop and was about to commit, but "things changed over night". That could mean he was told Hop was coming back to SU, and that saves him from having to transfer to follow his coach. Could also mean nothing. Hearing something about Hop's potential return would make sense, but I also have a hard time believing they told a kid about it and trust him to keep it quiet.

When asked about the SU job within the last year or so, Hop gave a vague answer -- something like he's worried about winning games this season. That's the exact type of answer someone gives who wants to be considered for the job and leave his options open.

Hop's days at Washington might be limited whether he likes it or not, another reason for him to reset the shot clock and move back to SU.

He would also be more successful on the East Coast given his connections. He wants to build a legacy, and will want to coach the team that will provide him the best opportunity for success.

Hop's best asset is his charisma (as per accounts; I've never met him). Coaching is a job. Charismatic people have a tendency to land jobs. He knows all the decision-makers and important people affiliated with SU, and one could see him being able to talk his way into the job, despite his ups and downs at Washington.

Hop's aging parents work against this though, as he may want to be on the West coast for end of life care. If they are getting close to end of life, and if that's the plan everyone settled on, I'm sure JB would coach an extra year or so (as long as he's healthy). Not sure if he has siblings who live near his parents and could care for them.

There's a lot of moving pieces to bringing Hop back to SU, so I would give at least equal odds the next coach is Red.

Hop was a great recruiter and the program's recent demise was exacerbated by his leaving. Not only was he a recruiting ace, but all of the guys loved him. He kept kids in the program who wanted to leave, including Dion Waiters. That's incredibly important in the new era of the transfer portal. Listen to Devo's podcasts -- Hop was their guy. Syracuse's main issue lately has been lack of top talent. If he can bring that back to SU, then why not give him a chance. Bring in guys with NBA potential and let them get buckets. They don't need to (and won't) give him a lifetime contract. Give him 5 years and see if he can bring them back to consistently being in the top 25 and landing top 75 recruits. If not, move on and open it up. The mixed results at Washington shouldn't count him out. He inherited a dead program and revived it, and then had ups and downs (with the downs being really bad). It's hard to be good at your job, no matter the job, without experience and failing a few times. Maybe he got it out of his system, learned from his mistakes and learned what works and what doesn't, and is ready to lead a winning team. Ultimately, Hop has potential--whether or not he's lived up to it yet--and he's the most obvious choice and close to the program, so why not try it for a few years.

I think a national search for non-SU alumni would be wildly underwhelming. We won't land a big-name proven winner. Popovich isn't going to leave the NBA to coach Syracuse. Rick Pitino has a stained record and SU is paranoid about more sanctions. I think the candidates will be coaches looking to make their name, not unlike Hop or even Red. That means it would be hard to beat out a charismatic alumni who has proven he can recruit and retain talent in Syracuse NY at the highest level. If I'm wrong, and there's a really qualified candidate, by all means hire him. I just don't see it.

Terrific post. Sounds like somebody who has been in the room. Thanks for your insights and opinions.

Those are a couple good sets of numbers you've provided.
What are your thoughts? Do you have a candidate to succeed JB?
Someone who has Northeast coast recruiting relationships with the top AAU and prep school programs and builds a staff that he can rely on for advice on recruiting and strategic decisions.

The best coach out there right now is Rick Pitino, period. Personally, I think he’s rebuilt his image enough now too that he is actually hireable at major programs. He’d be my answer.

I would love to do this, too, and give him 3 years.
I'll bet we'd make at least a regional final in that time.
The only other viable choice is Hopkins.

Would Leo Rautins be an outrageous hire?
He could certainly re-establish the Canadian pipeline.

He did coach the Canadian National team for a while.
As I look his record up, it was six years. He had one good tournament, a couple decent ones, and about 3 that were pretty bad.
Six years, though, and he worked with a handful of NBA players.

I would love to do this, too, and give him 3 years.
I'll bet we'd make at least a regional final in that time.
The only other viable choice is Hopkins.
The best coach out there right now is Rick Pitino, period. Personally, I think he’s rebuilt his image enough now too that he is actually hireable at major programs. He’d be my answer.
Rick Pitino would be awesome, but my gut tells me that wouldn't happen. He's an incredible coach at a local mid-major job and he worked for SU, so one would think he's in contention. However, he's negotiating a lifetime contract with Iona and I've heard that he's happy with the job and may not be looking for change. Maybe he's getting older and is content settling down. Adam Weitsman said that SU is extremely strict with NCAA rules ever since suffering sanctions. I think the administrators go over the top to look squeaky clean, and hiring Rick Pitino might not be the look they're going for.

Would anyone be opposed to hiring Pitino with j Hart being the associate HC with the plan being Pitino does 3-5 years and J Hart takes over when thats done. Obviously not something that is likely to happen but IMO I think it could work.

Rick Pitino would be awesome, but my gut tells me that wouldn't happen. He's an incredible coach at a local mid-major job and he worked for SU, so one would think he's in contention. However, he's negotiating a lifetime contract with Iona and I've heard that he's happy with the job and may not be looking for change. Maybe he's getting older and is content settling down. Adam Weitsman said that SU is extremely strict with NCAA rules ever since suffering sanctions. I think the administrators go over the top to look squeaky clean, and hiring Rick Pitino might not be the look they're going for.

While some have said that he literally lives on a golf course and has a great life down there, I'd bet that he would love one more shot at the big time. And after the 1996 media frenzy about his relationship to Boeheim, this would be a public relations home run. I think the press would eat it up, and I think we would get very favorable treatment. It's the perfect arc to conclude Rick's career, if you ask me.

Can’t help but wonder who we could’ve got after, say, the unlikely Cinderella 2018 sweet 16 run. That would’ve been a great way to go out, and the “brand” was 5 years “better” at that point.

Fwiw (nothing, I'm sure) the big coaching hire that cycle was Chris Mack to Louisville.

I think what is funniest about this whole thread, and the situation, is that there are some who actually think we are looking for a better coach than we currently have.
Better coach when? And in what way? No coach we get is going to be more successful than JB in the long run in all probability. The odds would be great against it. Now, better now in that they will have more energy. I think that is likely. We haven't set the world on fire for a few years now. I don't think it is a high bar for someone to be a better coach or at least more successful than jb has been over the last 7 years or so. Do you?

I believe there's a 0% chance JW hires someone who is not a SU basketball alumni. 0%. It can't imagine it's not simply between Red and Hop.

JB commented on Coach K's succession plan, specifically the part where it was passed down within the program, and said something like "that's the way to do it".

I think Hop is the first choice, in part, because nothing has been announced. Obviously you cannot announce the plan if it involves taking Washington's coach. On the other hand, you could announce the plan if it involved promoting the SU associate head coach, and, from a talent retention and recruiting standpoint, I don't see any benefit to withholding that information if that's the case. If Red's taking over, it would be easier to land and keep players if you tell them that. Last time there was a succession plan (when Hop was coach-in-waiting), they announced the plan. Granted things changed and the plan wasn't executed, but it didn't fail because the plan was public. What reason would SU have to do anything differently the second time (except maybe not identifying an exact deadline in case JB wants an extra year or two)?

On the other hand, maybe it's private simply because JB doesn't like talking about his retirement. We all know that, and Buddy even said as much on a recent podcast I believe with Mike Waters. Buddy said he thinks JB coaches 1-3 more years (with 3 being likely the absolute most), but said he has no idea and JB doesn't talk about it (who knows if that's true, but the point remains).

Also, Chris Bunch said he really liked Hop and was about to commit, but "things changed over night". That could mean he was told Hop was coming back to SU, and that saves him from having to transfer to follow his coach. Could also mean nothing. Hearing something about Hop's potential return would make sense, but I also have a hard time believing they told a kid about it and trust him to keep it quiet.

When asked about the SU job within the last year or so, Hop gave a vague answer -- something like he's worried about winning games this season. That's the exact type of answer someone gives who wants to be considered for the job and leave his options open.

Hop's days at Washington might be limited whether he likes it or not, another reason for him to reset the shot clock and move back to SU.

He would also be more successful on the East Coast given his connections. He wants to build a legacy, and will want to coach the team that will provide him the best opportunity for success.

Hop's best asset is his charisma (as per accounts; I've never met him). Coaching is a job. Charismatic people have a tendency to land jobs. He knows all the decision-makers and important people affiliated with SU, and one could see him being able to talk his way into the job, despite his ups and downs at Washington.

Hop's aging parents work against this though, as he may want to be on the West coast for end of life care. If they are getting close to end of life, and if that's the plan everyone settled on, I'm sure JB would coach an extra year or so (as long as he's healthy). Not sure if he has siblings who live near his parents and could care for them.

There's a lot of moving pieces to bringing Hop back to SU, so I would give at least equal odds the next coach is Red.

Hop was a great recruiter and the program's recent demise was exacerbated by his leaving. Not only was he a recruiting ace, but all of the guys loved him. He kept kids in the program who wanted to leave, including Dion Waiters. That's incredibly important in the new era of the transfer portal. Listen to Devo's podcasts -- Hop was their guy. Syracuse's main issue lately has been lack of top talent. If he can bring that back to SU, then why not give him a chance. Bring in guys with NBA potential and let them get buckets. They don't need to (and won't) give him a lifetime contract. Give him 5 years and see if he can bring them back to consistently being in the top 25 and landing top 75 recruits. If not, move on and open it up. The mixed results at Washington shouldn't count him out. He inherited a dead program and revived it, and then had ups and downs (with the downs being really bad). It's hard to be good at your job, no matter the job, without experience and failing a few times. Maybe he got it out of his system, learned from his mistakes and learned what works and what doesn't, and is ready to lead a winning team. Ultimately, Hop has potential--whether or not he's lived up to it yet--and he's the most obvious choice and close to the program, so why not try it for a few years.

I think a national search for non-SU alumni would be wildly underwhelming. We won't land a big-name proven winner. Popovich isn't going to leave the NBA to coach Syracuse. Rick Pitino has a stained record and SU is paranoid about more sanctions. I think the candidates will be coaches looking to make their name, not unlike Hop or even Red. That means it would be hard to beat out a charismatic alumni who has proven he can recruit and retain talent in Syracuse NY at the highest level. If I'm wrong, and there's a really qualified candidate, by all means hire him. I just don't see it.
You make a ton of good points. While I think JW will conduct a “national search” and may reach out to the Nate Oats of the world, so many signs point to the next guy being Hop or Red. I’m not saying I agree with it, because I don’t. We need a new system and I don’t see Hop and Red changing from the 2-3 zone and stale offensive patterns (although if Hop kills it on the recruiting trail offensive patterns become less important). I also have a feeling that if it isn’t Hop, then JB is going to force JW’s hand similar to what Bo Ryan did at Wisconsin by retiring in August to ensure Red gets the gig on an interim basis.

He hasn't. And he would never be the choice here. For a number of really good reasons. One, his history. 2 our history (2 time offender) his age. Rick is as good a coach as I have seen in my lifetime. I think it is possible that if he had stayed at Kentucky, he would be considered right there with Wooden and K. but he didn't and he is very much damaged goods.

I agree. We are very much on the same page with that. I picked on Shaka Smart out of that list because he used to be a board golden boy. Funny how things change quickly.
I'd still be interested in Shaka Smart.

Also, Chris Bunch said he really liked Hop and was about to commit, but"things changed over night". That could mean he was told Hop was coming back to SU, and that saves him from having to transfer to follow his coach. Could also mean nothing. Hearing something about Hop's potential return would make sense, but I also have a hard time believing they told a kid about it and trust him to keep it quiet.

"things changed over night"...usually this is due to someone being pregnant.

WOW.....after reading the last five pages, all over the place. I feel we have to step back and recognize the AD is going to make the decision - it is his job, and as many say - they already have a plan in place. I am certain the plan does not call for a short term extension with someone like Pitino. I am sure JB will have input into the process but will not be the decision maker. Hopefully the AD and other top officials have a criteria list that has been separated into MUSTs and WANTS with weights assigned to all the WANTS. It would be interesting for us here on this board to take a crack at just the MUSTS. If a candidate does not meet the MUST, they are eliminated. The second exercise would be identifying 5 to 8 wants and assigning 1 (low) to 10 (high) weighting factor. I know, sounds alot like decision making process but that is how my mind works. Is East Coast recruiting a MUST or WANT? How important is prior connections to SU? How will the coach fit in with the returning players and incoming freshman? Do you insist on a player friendly coach? Can the coach relate to todays high school grads with the NIL now in play? How important is ties to players outside of US? Is there a money limit to hiring a head coach? I am sure folks much more skilled in criteria for selecting a coach could fill out this MUST/WANT list.

Just the way my mind works. Tired of reading 35+ pages of Coach X, Coach Y, Coach Z!! (LOL no Coach K!!)

He hasn't. And he would never be the choice here. For a number of really good reasons. One, his history. 2 our history (2 time offender) his age. Rick is as good a coach as I have seen in my lifetime. I think it is possible that if he had stayed at Kentucky, he would be considered right there with Wooden and K. but he didn't and he is very much damaged goods.

Yes, but we could be his redemption arc, and he could make us immediately relevant again nationally. We would start getting better players right away.

While some have said that he literally lives on a golf course and has a great life down there, I'd bet that he would love one more shot at the big time. And after the 1996 media frenzy about his relationship to Boeheim, this would be a public relations home run. I think the press would eat it up, and I think we would get very favorable treatment. It's the perfect arc to conclude Rick's career, if you ask me.
Idk, I think it's 50-50 on the media being favorable to negative. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

It’s gonna be
Head coach- Red
Associate head coach-Gmac
Assistant-Griff
Assistant-Stevie Thompson
Hypothetically, if Hopkins is hired for the job, does Autry stick around for a few seasons before moving on?

They played three years together, they definitely have a relationship... Is it a good one?

Hypothetically, if Hopkins is hired for the job, does Autry stick around for a few seasons before moving on?

They played three years together, they definitely have a relationship... Is it a good one?
I would think that Red would clear out as soon as he could. Whether that was right away or if it takes some time. And it wouldn't be anything mad at Hop but he would have been passed over. Tough to stay anywhere in that situation.

Amaker would be quite the hire! lol...can just see the Duke - SU matchups now ...

I think the former SU - NBA players might be interesting...jason hart? melo????? etc
It’s gonna be
Head coach- Red
Associate head coach-Gmac
Assistant-Griff
Assistant-Stevie Thompson
Red? Have you listened to him in an interview? He says “ya’ know” in basically every sentence………I can’t see him being the face of Syracuse University. Being somewhat articulate is a must!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom