What is JB talking about ? And Why would he saying anything ? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is JB talking about ? And Why would he saying anything ?

Maybe he hands the team to Red to make sure Buddy and Alan get 39 mpg next year. Then he comes back the year after. :p
Nobody needs to be playing more than 30 at the college level; and that's for subs not resting.

Last edited:
no, but when you finally do get a chance to play you shouldn't immediately go in and do bad things or make bad decisions. thanks for clarifying you've never played sports before.
Puhleeze- I’ve played plenty of sports. Starting PG and free safety in HS. It’s doesn’t take having played a sport to see the illogical presumption of your statement.
It’s asinine to think that one has to have played a sport in order to give an opinion. This is about you giving an ill-conceived and tortured justification, re; Woody’s PT.
Sorry you can’t get that.

Last edited:
no, but when you finally do get a chance to play you shouldn't immediately go in and do bad things or make bad decisions. thanks for clarifying you've never played sports before.
Again: Which specific game are you referring to where Woody came in and immediately did bad things or made bad decisions? I’m genuinely curious (and I was the starting PG on my HS team in ‘88-‘89 and I’m also way taller than 5’-2” in case that matters, too).

I hope Woody comes back. But at the risk of sounding “pro-JB”; one guy transferred out of here in the 2 decades and was successful... BJ Johnson, and that is as in the A10. History shows leaving Syracuse usually doesn’t equate to success. If JB thought Woody leaving was a massive detriment I guarantee he’d be getting more PT

Maybe for Q having pro aspirations doesnt mean going pro this year but it might mean he wants to play his natural position and perhaps play in a man to man team to showcase his talents. he is not going to get much better or get better prepared for a pro career by banging against guys bigger and heavier than he is because the team doesnt recruit real power forwards he is not show casing his best chance to be a pro by coming back and playing out of position. He is not going to get drafted as a 4 .

One of the reasons Buddy plays so much is he is the one guy on the team who plays where he belongs, other guys play big minutes but not at there best positions. when you are twenty years old and your dream is to play pro ball you want to showcase your talents at what you do best.

Why do we think woody leaves? But also why hasn't woody been playing

Back in the day when you were disrespecting the coaches we ran suicides...until someone coughed up a lung...disrespect again...(whistle blowing)...everyone back on the line. One practice we did nothing but suicides for 2 hours. Message delivered.

Woody
Ajak
Q
Griff
Marek

My best guess.

I could see Q coming back, but it should be interesting.

I could be way off on his potential...but I don’t think so. I don’t understand when guys like Ajak transfer. Like Dash Riley. You went to Eastern Michigan and averaged 6 and 4 or something, why not just stay at Cuse? Same with the kid from Rochester(Bryant’s HS teammate) from 5 years or so ago, Greg Davis, Howard Washington, etc.

If I’m a guy like that, I’m staying at Cuse and being happy as hell to be on the squad at one of the name brand programs. It’s not like you’re going to even be a star at a smaller school.

Maybe Ajak is better than those guys, but I don’t know...I’m thinking not.

Don't read too much into kids social media stuff but this was from Woody IG a few nights ago. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he's gone.
View attachment 197467
Can one of the assistants please get Scoop, Dion, Josh Pace, and anyone else who either had it out with Boeheim or was thinking of transferring early on, and get them in a room with Woody to have a conversation?

We really miss Hop and his charisma. Our assistant coaches don’t seem to excel at the good cop role and keeping kids motivated and encouraged that their time will come and to be patient. Hop was great at this. Allen Griffin is the poster boy for a senior year revival after getting demoted. He needs to be more effective at using his real-life experiences to communicate that the future looks bright for a kid like Woody and to be an intermediary between him and JB. Woody has a chance to be a star here one day. He could stand to hear from guys like Coleman and Etan, too.
The assistant coaches are all these kids have and they are constantly on the phone talking to them. I think some of you would be very surprised at how non existent JB truly is at times. I’ve been out to dinner numerous times with the asst coaches and the players call and text non stop. The coaches talk to their families too. There’s so much behind the scenes and just wish I could share it all so you guys could understand

I hope Woody comes back. But at the risk of sounding “pro-JB”; one guy transferred out of here in the 2 decades and was successful... BJ Johnson, and that is as in the A10. History shows leaving Syracuse usually doesn’t equate to success. If JB thought Woody leaving was a massive detriment I guarantee he’d be getting more PT
We have had guys leave that did very well in other places. Maybe a little over your two decades but that may be because our recruiting has fallen so badly.

We have had guys leave that did very well in other places. Maybe a little over your two decades but that may be because our recruiting has fallen so badly.
Sekunda, Lazor, Manning come to mind. Rock Lloyd did well. Duncan and Hughes.

Yeah, it is kinda telling that our bench guys back then could transfer and be the main guys elsewhere. And now they transfer and sit the bench at Seton Hall and Providence.

Woody is a guy who looked like a very solid player though, early. Fully expect him to be a guy who averages 15 ppg somewhere before long. Wish it would be here. This is stupid.

Yeah, it is kinda telling that our bench guys back then could transfer and be the main guys elsewhere. And now they transfer and sit the bench at Seton Hall and Providence.

Woody is a guy who looked like a very solid player though, early. Fully expect him to be a guy who averages 15 ppg somewhere before long. Wish it would be here. This is stupid.

Maybe add Tony Scott whom transferred to aTm to that list too?

Sekunda went to Penn State, a pretty irrelevant hoops program at the time. His dad was pretty vocal if I recall correctly for his disdain towards JB. Manning at UW had decent numbers his senior year ( a la Sekunda) same with Lazor at ASU. Neither of these programs were that relevant in hoops either.

The Duncan & Hughes transfers to RU for me stung the most. Duncan, coming from California, was highly rated and supposedly the next coming of Pearl. IMO, both had great promise unfulfilled here. I liked Hughes a lot, thought he was the next Raf Addison type, but with more athleticism.

Can one of the assistants please get Scoop, Dion, Josh Pace, and anyone else who either had it out with Boeheim or was thinking of transferring early on, and get them in a room with Woody to have a conversation?
Such different times, especially with Pace. The Dion thing is kinda crazy, announcers are still talking about him not starting and it being foolish he didn’t, Dion balled out, had nothing to do with the uniform he wore, he leaves he’s getting found and it can be argued he should’ve played more not only as a freshman but as a sophomore too. You could add MCW to the list too, but even in another thread it sounds the family isn’t a fan of coach. One thing that stands out to me from these pods of late 2000s and later players, they mention Hop over and over and over, coach seems kind of like an afterthought. Just my opinion.

Maybe they’d rather sit somewhere else than sit here?

Maybe add Tony Scott whom transferred to aTm to that list too?

Sekunda went to Penn State, a pretty irrelevant hoops program at the time. His dad was pretty vocal if I recall correctly for his disdain towards JB. Manning at UW had decent numbers his senior year ( a la Sekunda) same with Lazor at ASU. Neither of these programs were that relevant in hoops either.

The Duncan & Hughes transfers to RU for me stung the most. Duncan, coming from California, was highly rated and supposedly the next coming of Pearl. IMO, both had great promise unfulfilled here. I liked Hughes a lot, thought he was the next Raf Addison type, but with more athleticism.
Did Scott even end up playing at A&M though? Talented kid, but thought he sat out for eligibility reasons and then tried to go pro after going to A&M.

i know those schools were lesser than SU, but I was just saying at least our guys could transfer and be the man at those schools. Penn State was irrelevant but Sekunda was their best player, and he couldn’t really even get on the court consistently at Cuse.

Lazor sat behind Wallace(McDonalds AA and all time Cuse great) for 2 years, then we had Winfred Walton(top 10 recruit)coming here and Ryan Blackwell(top 25 recruit) transferring in, so he left and put up like 18 and 8 at ASU. Lazor was better than Quincy and Marek, no offense to them. He’s probably the best player on this Cuse team if we could time travel.

Such different times, especially with Pace. The Dion thing is kinda crazy, announcers are still talking about him not starting and it being foolish he didn’t, Dion balled out, had nothing to do with the uniform he wore, he leaves he’s getting found and it can be argued he should’ve played more not only as a freshman but as a sophomore too. You could add MCW to the list too, but even in another thread it sounds the family isn’t a fan of coach. One thing that stands out to me from these pods of late 2000s and later players, they mention Hop over and over and over, coach seems kind of like an afterthought. Just my opinion.

Bottom line with Dion though, is he went 4th. And was on arguably the best team in the country with Fab here. There’s nothing to complain about his decision to come here or stay here, because b-ball wise that soph year was the most successful one he ever had and it got him started on a hell of an NBA career by most people’s standards. When you get picked 4th after two years of college, it’s hard to say it didn’t work out.

They do mention Hop as the guy they communicated the most with...but you can also hear what they like about JB...”he lets you ball, he just wants to win, he’s loyal to you, etc.”

GMac and Devendorf(often) made the points that soft guys can wilt under him, but the guys like them(which would be Dion) are going to thrive even if they butt heads at time.

Wallace made the point that if you’re good, he lets you ball and he “puts the battery in your back”.

I think Coleman made the point that he doesn’t just talk all day(and that players hate when coaches just talk and talk and talk).

Devendorf talked about how there was a game where Cuse was short handed and Boeheim told him and Flynn that he needs 25-30 points out of both of them. Devo loved it, and I think that might’ve been his convo with Wallace about how he “puts the battery in your back”.

I think it was Devo talking about how he lost his mind and flipped out on Boeheim over sitting him out when he thought he wasn’t healthy and ready. And JB moved on and was just “you ready to play?” A few days later. Devo clearly loves his ability to not make a big deal out of kids being stupid and allowing them to move on with no grudges held...at least back then.

He’s always been really good at identifying and riding his best players and getting the most out of them. There used to be a “Syracuse guys disappoint in the pros” narrative but some of that was Boeheim knowing how to get the most out of them.

As much as I love the guy, I’m a “father time is undefeated” guy and while the game is still in him, things are clearly sputtering and getting worse. But I’ll go to bat for him being an all time great coach up until very recently, all day long.

Bottom line with Dion though, is he went 4th. And was on arguably the best team in the country with Fab here. There’s nothing to complain about his decision to come here or stay here, because b-ball wise that soph year was the most successful one he ever had and it got him started on a hell of an NBA career by most people’s standards. When you get picked 4th after two years of college, it’s hard to say it didn’t work out.

They do mention Hop as the guy they communicated the most with...but you can also hear what they like about JB...”he lets you ball, he just wants to win, he’s loyal to you, etc.”

GMac and Devendorf(often) made the points that soft guys can wilt under him, but the guys like them(which would be Dion) are going to thrive even if they butt heads at time.

Wallace made the point that if you’re good, he lets you ball and he “puts the battery in your back”.

I think Coleman made the point that he doesn’t just talk all day(and that players hate when coaches just talk and talk and talk).

Devendorf talked about how there was a game where Cuse was short handed and Boeheim told him and Flynn that he needs 25-30 points out of both of them. Devo loved it, and I think that might’ve been his convo with Wallace about how he “puts the battery in your back”.

I think it was Devo talking about how he lost his mind and flipped out on Boeheim over sitting him out when he thought he wasn’t healthy and ready. And JB moved on and was just “you ready to play? A few days later.” Devo clearly loves his ability to not make a big deal out of kids being stupid and allowing them to move on with no grudges held...at least back then.

He’s always been really good at identifying and riding his best players and getting the most out of them. There used to be a “Syracuse guys disappoint in the pros” narrative but some of that was Boeheim knowing how to get the most out of them.

As much as I love the guy, I’m a “father time is undefeated” guy and while the game is still in him, things are clearly sputtering and getting worse. But I’ll go to bat for him being an all time great coach up until very recently, all day long.
Nothing you said was wrong, but every player isn’t built the same way, some guys are sensitive, some don’t respond the same way, some can’t handle it. It’s not it’s right or wrong but just different, personally, I couldn’t learn nor would want to under JB, not that I don’t think he’s a great coach because he is, but I wouldn’t want to play under Bobby Knight either.

Nothing you said was wrong, but every player isn’t built the same way, some guys are sensitive, some don’t respond the same way, some can’t handle it. It’s not it’s right or wrong but just different, personally, I couldn’t learn nor would want to under JB, not that I don’t think he’s a great coach because he is, but I wouldn’t want to play under Bobby Knight either.
I agree. There’s something to that.

And on that point, at least one of the recent Devo podcasts talked about “can you imagine if JB got on these guys the way he got on Duany?” They talk like JB has actually mellowed considerably.

There are exceptions, but big picture wise there’s something to that as far as how these current kids need to be handled. The guys are generally careful to not knock the kids and go all “back in my day”...but you can sense that they think a lot of these kids are softer than they were in a lot of the podcasts too, IMO. Personally I wonder if it’s not so much the yelling, but the communication in the ways they are used to it. Can’t imagine JB texting too often with these guys.

Times are changing and it’s probably going to seem really weird without JB here, real soon though.

I mean when you can't give a good player on your bench 5 mins per night why should anyone not established stay?

Woody and Bras were great in the small minutes too making it happen defensively. Recent players to lose PT were liabilities like Carey. The guys he buried this year were good. It was ridiculous. I'm glad Buddy started hitting his threes when there was little/no chance at an at large. He probably finds his stroke sooner if he sat a few more minutes earlier in conference play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom