What is JB talking about ? And Why would he saying anything ? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What is JB talking about ? And Why would he saying anything ?

We really miss Hop and his charisma. Our assistant coaches don’t seem to excel at the good cop role and keeping kids motivated and encouraged
what? You saying that Gerry and his fishing pep talks aren’t good enough?

Maybe add Tony Scott whom transferred to aTm to that list too?

Sekunda went to Penn State, a pretty irrelevant hoops program at the time. His dad was pretty vocal if I recall correctly for his disdain towards JB. Manning at UW had decent numbers his senior year ( a la Sekunda) same with Lazor at ASU. Neither of these programs were that relevant in hoops either.

The Duncan & Hughes transfers to RU for me stung the most. Duncan, coming from California, was highly rated and supposedly the next coming of Pearl. IMO, both had great promise unfulfilled here. I liked Hughes a lot, thought he was the next Raf Addison type, but with more athleticism.
Manning was a big snitch in the 1st NCAA case.

I mean when you can't give a good player on your bench 5 mins per night why should anyone not established stay?

Woody and Bras were great in the small minutes too making it happen defensively. Recent players to lose PT were liabilities like Carey. The guys he buried this year were good. It was ridiculous. I'm glad Buddy started hitting his threes when there was little/no chance at an at large. He probably finds his stroke sooner if he sat a few more minutes earlier in conference play.
Or didn't get Covid.

The assistant coaches are all these kids have and they are constantly on the phone talking to them. I think some of you would be very surprised at how non existent JB truly is at times. I’ve been out to dinner numerous times with the asst coaches and the players call and text non stop. The coaches talk to their families too. There’s so much behind the scenes and just wish I could share it all so you guys could understand
Thanks for sharing! Much appreciated. I didn’t mean to sound like I was dogging our assistant coaches. They all seem like good guys and talented teachers of the game, though I do wonder about their more reserved personalities (compared to Hop and Murph and Troy Weaver). I guess they’re dealing with more outside-the-program negativity than Hop and Murph did during their tenures, and obviously that’s gotten worse as we’ve declined a bit into a middle of the pack ACC team. It’s frustrating to hear that there are so many easy things JB could be doing to be more engaged with the players and with recruiting.

Last edited:
Sekunda, Lazor, Manning come to mind. Rock Lloyd did well. Duncan and Hughes.

Yeah, it is kinda telling that our bench guys back then could transfer and be the main guys elsewhere. And now they transfer and sit the bench at Seton Hall and Providence.

Woody is a guy who looked like a very solid player though, early. Fully expect him to be a guy who averages 15 ppg somewhere before long. Wish it would be here. This is stupid.
True. But Taurean, Jalen Carey and Brycen were all top 100 recruits.

Fer real? Holy moly, I never heard that.

Richard Manning, who transferred after last season to the University of Washington after playing two years with the Orangemen, said that when his own car was being worked on he would rent cars from Rapp for about half price. Rapp also gave special rates to players' relatives, according to players and their parents. Manning said his father rented a 1990 Bonneville from Rapp for about half the regular rate during a weekend visit to Syracuse. In addition to players renting cars, Manning said Rapp's mechanics performed work on his car at reduced rates.

Richard Manning said he knew recruits sometimes had sex during their visits. "The hosts usually know the girls and the girls will, you know, narrow down to whoever wants to be with him, " according to Manning, who said the introductions were informal, not arranged by the program. "It depends on who's the host and who the host knows."

The assistant coaches are all these kids have and they are constantly on the phone talking to them. I think some of you would be very surprised at how non existent JB truly is at times. I’ve been out to dinner numerous times with the asst coaches and the players call and text non stop. The coaches talk to their families too. There’s so much behind the scenes and just wish I could share it all so you guys could understand
This and the comment (and like-minded comment) you were replying to are the reason the assistants should leave. JB gets all the credit without putting in as much effort as a head coach should be. Then the assistants get the blame for bad recruiting results?

Btw, no assistant is going to be able to recruit top recruits with Buddy taking 20+ shots per game, us playing the zone, and JB not giving freshman enough of a chance.

Richard Manning, who transferred after last season to the University of Washington after playing two years with the Orangemen, said that when his own car was being worked on he would rent cars from Rapp for about half price. Rapp also gave special rates to players' relatives, according to players and their parents. Manning said his father rented a 1990 Bonneville from Rapp for about half the regular rate during a weekend visit to Syracuse. In addition to players renting cars, Manning said Rapp's mechanics performed work on his car at reduced rates.

Richard Manning said he knew recruits sometimes had s e x during their visits. "The hosts usually know the girls and the girls will, you know, narrow down to whoever wants to be with him, " according to Manning, who said the introductions were informal, not arranged by the program. "It depends on who's the host and who the host knows."
Manning was good but he was always going to be a sub at the Cuse. I'm not remembering who played in front of him (DC?), but he was never gonna start. And though I hate snitches as much as the next guy, he didn't owe SU a thing after he left.

Richard Manning said he knew recruits sometimes had s e x during their visits. "The hosts usually know the girls and the girls will, you know, narrow down to whoever wants to be with him, " according to Manning, who said the introductions were informal, not arranged by the program. "It depends on who's the host and who the host knows."
A Pontiac Bonneville. I'm surprised the bottom didn't drop out of our recruiting right there and then.

Bunch of psychologists 'round these parts.

We really miss Hop and his charisma. Our assistant coaches don’t seem to excel at the good cop role and keeping kids motivated and encouraged that their time will come and to be patient. Hop was great at this. Allen Griffin is the poster boy for a senior year revival after getting demoted. He needs to be more effective at using his real-life experiences to communicate that the future looks bright for a kid like Woody and to be an intermediary between him and JB. Woody has a chance to be a star here one day. He could stand to hear from guys like Coleman and Etan, too.

But there shouldn't be a situation where the assistants are spending a good deal of their time putting out fires that the head man has helped to create. We all eventually will become more of a liability to our employers than an asset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom