What is the deal with Pomeroy ? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is the deal with Pomeroy ?

I'd be fine if his rankings were of the most efficient offensive teams. but they're not. they're supposed to, apparently, rank the best teams in order. and they fail to do that accurately.

I'm confused - you like the efficiency rankings, but don't like teams measured by net efficiency?

He is ranking teams in terms of net efficiency (adjusting for schedule). That is all he is doing.

Its a simple way to rank 351 teams. And its an effective way to get a range of where a team is at. The problem occurs when people want his rankings to be done the same way as the AP does them, and somehow do it for all 351 teams.

I am one of the Pomeroy backers here, but I can definitely tell you I have never said one team is better because they are ranked one, two, three, four or five spots higher than somebody else. .

Last edited:
Riiiight and it's really necessary to watch all of those teams/games, isn't it?
the point is I wager nobody on this board has seen enough of St. Louis to make their personal "eye tests" worth a warm bucket of spit

Much like political forums, it's always surprising when eye test guys don't reconsider their position in these threads. ;)
Btw my eye test has concluded this weekend that everyone sucks. Except maybe Florida.

I'm confused - you like the efficiency rankings, but don't like teams measured by net efficiency?

He is ranking teams in terms of net efficiency (adjusting for schedule). That is all he is doing.

Its a simple way to rank 351 teams. And its an effective way to get a range of where a team is at. The problem occurs when people want his rankings to be done the same way as the AP does them, and somehow do it for all 351 teams.

I am one of the Pomeroy backers here, but I can definitely tell you I have never said one team is better because they are ranked one, two, three, four or five spots higher than somebody else. .
My random example was Cinci and l'vlle. L'vlle, to this point, is not better than (nor deserving of a higher ranking than) Cinci - let alone by 15 places. Cinci beat l'vlle at l'vlle and has a better record and overall resume on top of that, "efficiency" or not.
And there have been many other examples in recent years.
Pomeroy is a decent tool to use (pun probably intended) but to rely on it and not watch the games is, well, disingenuous.

My random example was Cinci and l'vlle. L'vlle, to this point, is not better than (nor deserving of a higher ranking than) Cinci - let alone by 15 places. Cinci beat l'vlle at l'vlle and has a better record and overall resume on top of that, "efficiency" or not.
And there have been many other examples in recent years.
Pomeroy is a decent tool to use (pun probably intended) but to rely on it and not watch the games is, well, disingenuous.
Hmm. So you say that people would rely on Pomeroy, and not watch games? Why would anyone who din't watch games have any reason to visit the Pomeroy site?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom