What is there to get excited about | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is there to get excited about

I normally would feel the same way but that punt after the penalty on 4th and 1 was really, really bad.

Not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

If we had decided to punted on 4th and 1, that would have been bad.

But punting in that situation on 4th and 6 was not a bad call.

The same people who are complaining about that call would also be complaining if we hadn’t converted the 4th and 6 play.

Some people like to complain. I guess an online fan forum is a good place for that.

Me too. I might have disagreed with whatever play we might have called, but not the overall decision to go for it. That's silly.
I will never have an issue with a coach making a decision to a) keep the ball or b) try and score points.

I wasn't even mad about the crazy field goal try against Clemson.

Now, the three bombs down the sideline didn't make sense if that's what we were going to do anyway. But whatever.

Coaches are going to get second guessed. It's part of the job. They can deal with it.

Last edited:
I’m excited for the VT game. If we handle our business against them then I’ll feel a lot better. I can’t bring myself to be excited for next week, it’s going to be a slaughter. Even if you thought we were going 0-3 in this stretch, context matters. This isn’t how I thought we would lose and that’s really taken a toll on my perspective on this season. We’re going to be 4-3 going to VT, so that game will either enhance what I’m feeling now or somewhat get me back on track.
Exactly. It is the way we lost last two that casts doubt. I know the company line this year has been get through these 3 healthy and last 5 are all manageable. The problem is with other teams in the last 5 look less manageable than 2 weeks ago right now

The same people who are complaining about that call would also be complaining if we hadn’t converted the 4th and 6 play.

Some people like to complain. I guess an online fan forum is a good place for that.
Believe that the models say the decision to punt after the penalty was an egregiously bad decision

I’m very upset tonight for several reasons, but by nature I tend to see the bright side when it comes to sports. It’s almost a certainty that we will be bowling. That alone is enough to get me excited.

It’s not going to be the warm weather bowl that we would like most likely, but we will be looking forward to one more game come Christmas time. I’ve always said as long as we’re bowling I’m happy.
Who do we beat besides BC? VT, GT, Pitt and WF all are playing better then we are.

That we can be an 8-4 team, which would be a successful regular season.

To me this is the quintessential debate around Syracuse football. What is a successful season? And the answer isn't just X or more wins.

Is 8-4 a successful season with eight wins over:
Colgate
Western Michigan
Purdue
Army
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Pitt
Wake Forest

And four losses to:
Clemson
UNC
Florida State
Georgia Tech

And then a mediocre bowl game against another mid-level team.

If so, what's that based on? Would 8-4 be successful if we had eight wins over Colgate/Western Michigan/Army level teams? Or is it just a successful season because we beat Purdue and didn't get upset by any of the lower tier teams?

I guess it boils down to, is it successful to be like a top 60 program and beat who we're supposed to bet and get trounced by the top-25 teams, or do we aspire to more for this program?

I aspire to more.

I really hope Gameday doesn’t talk about or pick the FSU game. It’s definitely second hand embarrassment at this point and I don’t even want to hear anything about Cuse.

To me this is the quintessential debate around Syracuse football. What is a successful season? And the answer isn't just X or more wins.

Is 8-4 a successful season with eight wins over:
Colgate
Western Michigan
Purdue
Army
Virginia Tech
Boston College
Pitt
Wake Forest

And four losses to:
Clemson
UNC
Florida State
Georgia Tech

And then a mediocre bowl game against another mid-level team.

If so, what's that based on? Would 8-4 be successful if we had eight wins over Colgate/Western Michigan/Army level teams? Or is it just a successful season because we beat Purdue and didn't get upset by any of the lower tier teams?

I guess it boils down to, is it successful to be like a top 60 program and beat who we're supposed to bet and get trounced by the top-25 teams, or do we aspire to more for this program?

I aspire to more.
VT and Wake are not guaranteed wins. Honestly teams just need to run a QB spy/ extra man in the box and play man coverage. Force GS and these receivers to beat you every play. Not sure if that’s possible.

Down that much, that late in the game, what was gained from punting? The only slim hope that they had was to score EVERY possession. Punting there was giving up, end of story.

We are in big, big trouble next year if the staff isn’t able to get a transfer Schrader/Dungey type. Even if that person ends up being good, we’ll be lucky to go bowling next year. I’m ready for Marrone 2.0.

Down that much, that late in the game, what was gained from punting? The only slim hope that they had was to score EVERY possession. Punting there was giving up, end of story.
And Dino has given up a few times in various games over his years here. I can’t recall specifics now, but those of us watching each game know that’s true.

Look, even in the games where he made decisions to “give up”, we were never going to win anyway. Just like punting or not punting yesterday wasn’t going to make a difference. But, it is a bad look. He doesn’t think we can win going into games I don’t think. Why should his players?

Looking way ahead. This offseason there needs to be a serious influx of talent at OL, WR and maybe DL? I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing a little more CDRW to see if he can play..
If they are able to bring in all of this via portal I’d get excited. If not, I’ll tune out.

Right. We needed points on EVERY possible drive as time was not on our side given how far behind we were. Giving up the chance to score points, was just that... giving up.
^^^This. The decision to punt should have had nothing to do with the odds against converting a 4th and 6 (DB's explanation in the presser). The issue was that, despite the odds against converting, you HAD TO go for it in that situation because you were not going to have enough possessions going forward given the score and time left (even if you pinned them to the goal line and got a 3 and out). It was tantamount to giving up or, at best, trying to lose by the least points possible.

The great thing about college football is, we can beat FSU. Unlikely, but possible. Do that and the season changes instantaneously.

Basketball and Lacrosse seasons are upcoming; as for Football, it seems to be one letdown after another. They need to come off the Matt and show us wins this season, at least 3 more this season, IMO!

Looking way ahead. This offseason there needs to be a serious influx of talent at OL, WR and maybe DL? I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing a little more CDRW to see if he can play..
If they are able to bring in all of this via portal I’d get excited. If not, I’ll tune out.

This discussion is probably worthy of its own thread.

I agree we definitely need to improve the offensive line. No one’s job is safe. Our current talent level here is not competitive.

We need to add another QB. One who can compete for immediate playing time not just someone to add depth.

Other needs will develop as we see who leaves us via the portal and or who decides to leave eligibility on the table and. take a shot at the NFL. We could have to replace 80% of our secondary.

I’m still bullish on the season. Let’s face it. We all knew these three games would likely be losses. If we can get through FSU relatively intact with Shrader not injured, I like our chances the rest of the way. Between 7-9 wins is still possible if we remain healthy
You have to beat these teams once in a while even coach P did and we had tons of fans supporting this team.

I’m looking forward to 8-4 then a new years trip to El Paso.

Then I’m looking forward to making a donation to something SU related, upping my donor rank, and grabbing my preferred seats.

After that, I’m looking forward to the meltdowns that will come with the seat selection process.

Sagarin rankings of Non 2020 Ls in the Dino era when his starting QB played and was not named Tommy:

#22, #32, #51 (N), at #48, at #1

#100, at #19, at #22, at #16, at #28

at #1, at #50 (OT), #7 (N)

at #63, #21 (OT), #8, at #52, at #17, #16

at #14, #17, #16, at #34, #24 (N)

Losing to BC or Wake at home will be by far our 2nd worst home L, which is currently #32. Losing to VA Tech, Pitt, or GA Tech would be our worst away from home L, which is currently #63. The 2nd worst is #52.

For the most part Dino will beat bad teams and get beaten badly by good teams. With Dungey or Shrader as his QB he has only 2 Ls outside of the Top 52. Losing one of our last 5 games would be bad. Losing two seems unlikely.

Of course this might be another 2019 and all of the above is meaningless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom