What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power? | Syracusefan.com

What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power?

They've been to one of the four major bowls only once in the last 30 years (which they lost 70-33). In that time SU has gone to four.
it's the same as for Louisville currently - they beat a top tier SEC team in their bowl game and have been recruiting at a high level, so they must be a national power

everyone ignores the fact that Louisville only managed a 4-way tie for the big east title and a were taken behind the woodshed by SU prior to that bowl game win

Clemson has been recruiting at a high level for a while. They are one of the few ACC schools who are like SEC schools in which football is a religion and their fanbase is large in-state and supportive. I wouldn't call them a national power as only USC, Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida, Florida State would be national powers right now. However, Tajh Boyd has breathed some life into that program and they have made the leap the last couple of years and beating LSU in that bowl game really helped springboard them for this season. They need to beat Georgia in season opener and can't have another 2002 Georgia game where the Bulldogs went into Clemson for the season opener and smoked them. The ACC needs Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech to be the bedrocks of the conference and North Carolina, Virginia, Syracuse, NC State, Boston College, Georgia Tech to provide a good underbelly.
Clemson is probably in that 2nd tier of good schools, if Georgia, South Carolina, Texas A&M, are getting national power hype then I want ACC schools getting that same hype and right now only Clemson and Florida State have won anything recently to get that respect.

They've been to one of the four major bowls only once in the last 30 years (which they lost 70-33). In that time SU has gone to four.
I ask the same question every time I read someone's comments treating Clemson's program as if it were like e.g. Michigan's or Alabama's. I respect Clemson but don't get how they are categorized so highly. Maybe it has something to do with 41-0.

The real issue is Orange bragging rights, nothing more. I want them to win everything OOC and hope they do well except when they play us.

I want FSU to win everything OOC and hope they do well except when playing us. As for the FSU Clemson game, they can split, just so long as both lose to us.

Go ORANGE!

I ask the same question every time I read someone's comments treating Clemson's program as if it were like e.g. Michigan's or Alabama's. I respect Clemson but don't get how they are categorized so highly. Maybe it has something to do with 41-0.
What year was that game? It was almost twenty years ago. Why do we still use that game as a point of reference

What year was that game? It was almost twenty years ago. Why do we still use that game as a point of reference
Because we have seldom played Clemson in the past, and is our only reference point. We will have many more going forward. Hope they on balance are as positive outcome.

Let's end the season in the top 40 of recruiting till we start acting like elitists. GRob knocked our program from high three star status down to two star status. Marrone got us back to low three star status, but let's not make ourselves out to be world beaters. I want some damn four star recruits and occasionally maybe a five star kid. Clemson has recruited really well since Tommy Bowden became the coach through Dabo. They get the respect because people see the talent and Dabo utilizes they will become a consistent top 15 program just like their neighbors in Columbia under Spurrier.

clempson is a national power because they are.

thats why.

1 who which it would take Syracuse adding up 3 home games attendence v major opponents...when the Orange have a winning record....to get what they get v 1 d1aa.

Oh Lord

The real issue is Orange bragging rights, nothing more. I want them to win everything OOC and hope they do well except when they play us.

I want FSU to win everything OOC and hope they do well except when playing us. As for the FSU Clemson game, they can split, just so long as both lose to us.

Go ORANGE!
Orange bragging rights is very important. The Dome should have a ton of orange for the Cuse Clemson game that's for sure.

Highlights of our only meeting with Clemson. This was during the last Golden Age of SU football and hopefully back where we belong.

I gotta laugh...just on a yelp site about the dome and saw this comment:

The bathrooms are terrible - the urinals are huge metal sinks in the center where everyone stands next to each other in full glory.

Either this guy has never been to the dome or he's been pissing in the sink.

Wonder where he washed his hands. Oh no.

Hey man when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Poor guy--sounds like a case of wee-wee envy!

I feel very good about moving into a league with programs like Clemson. They've been to 35 bowls and have won a national championship. The best reason to move to the ACC was to join other national championship programs. They've been in the top 20/25 during 27 different years. Clemson has been in the top 20 in average attendance for over 20 consecutive years. I really want to compete with Clemson, along with several other strong ACC football programs, but as a program they have more active fans, are getting better recruits, and may contend for the national championship this year. Let's be happy we're playing against them instead of the teams we left, and collaborating with them in building a better ACC.

Clemson is a national power but an overrated one, just like any team coached by Lane Kiffen.
I like to rationalize our superiority using this logic from last year's match-ups: Syracuse>Louisville>Florida>USC (S. Carolina)>Clemson = We win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom