What is your breaking point? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is your breaking point?

If JBA was anything more than another big man project, he would be playing this year. Our frontcourt is atrocious at rebounding. Anybody with a semblance of rebounding skill would be on the floor now and not redshirting.
SMH Guys are ready at their time. We have had plenty of kids that were not ready to play as freshman but did well later. And he is a project. One that some that have actually seen him, think a lot of.

If JBA was anything more than another big man project, he would be playing this year. Our frontcourt is atrocious at rebounding. Anybody with a semblance of rebounding skill would be on the floor now and not redshirting.

JBA is very thin. Reminds me a bit of a taller BJ. I think giving him the RS is a great idea.

In the pregame shoot around, he takes 3's with the rest of the forwards. Once he adds some muscle, he should be a pretty decent player.

This is not all on the players (they are young, they can't press, they have to many turnovers). This is all we hear from JB. Just once I would love to hear him point out the obvious. He doesn't know how to teach any other defense but zone. Or the the coaches blew this game. Never hear that the coaching is poor. Well guess what, the coaching is just as bad. That falls on you JB!!! For me personally, I can't wait for JB to retire and I've been following SU before he was head coach.

To answer the original question - I do not really know if I have a breaking point.

It's like my Oakland Raiders who have not returned to their glory days in a lot of years. However, I have been a fan of them since the late 60's and continue to this day. Same holds true for my Orange hoops that I have followed since the early 80's. I am not pleased with the product we have put on the court for a number of years, even though we have made a couple of nice March runs. It is indeed very frustrating, but with the lack of talent we have, and have had in recent years, I really don't have any great expectations. I was very disappointed today when we didn't try to run them out of the building as they only had seven players.

I am getting up there in age and I sincerely hope we can get some high quality consistency before too long. Changes are coming, it's just a matter of when.

my point breaking point ? when i'm willing to digest a noble endangered species rather than watch the games

870682280-6-Point-Break-quotes.gif

And just like w/ football, we didn't expect it to be this bad.
Can’t agree. Never saw this bunch anything more than an NIT team with our goto player being Hughes (who has been great). Football however I felt we would’ve at least went bowling.

Can’t agree. Never saw this bunch anything more than an NIT team with our goto player being Hughes (who has been great). Football however I felt we would’ve at least went bowling.
With what we're seeing, NIT might be JB's best coaching job ever.

I watch the games, I hope we win. I don’t get that worked up though. JB is 75, nothing is forever. He built a brand that’s well equipped to withstand a down cycle at the end of his career.

We don’t recruit nearly as well as we used to. There are no adjustments or quick fixes this year. We need better players. It’s tough to recruit on the downside of your career.

Better days will come. Don’t get too upset. It’s not really worth it. Brand is strong. And we have the right guy running the Athletic Department.

I think my current apathy is probably my breaking point.
Yeah. I’m ‘bent’ rather than broken. I’m still, obsessively, going to watch every game and every minute. But whereas it used to be an event—lucky tee, lucky socks, OJ, etc., sitting on the edge of my seat—it’s now just ‘on,’ and I might be playing solitaire or on a guitar forum while I’m giving the game like 80% attention.

I can’t imagine what it would take or for how long for me to actually stop watching. Can’t imagine it. I’ve missed like two or three broadcast games (radio/tv) since 1985. Can’t imagine it.

This is not all on the players (they are young, they can't press, they have to many turnovers). This is all we hear from JB. Just once I would love to hear him point out the obvious. He doesn't know how to teach any other defense but zone. Or the the coaches blew this game. Never hear that the coaching is poor. Well guess what, the coaching is just as bad. That falls on you JB!!! For me personally, I can't wait for JB to retire and I've been following SU before he was head coach.
Very true. This coaching staff has no idea how to press. You NEVER triple the ball and they do it all the time. They double for no reason and have no idea where to trap on the floor. Unless they trap the first pass, they have no idea about rotations or where to trap next. Rule number one, always keep the ball in front of you. They have no clue. If JB has great athletes, they get lucky with their length, not with the technical aspects of trapping. They try to trap with a 1-2-1-1 press, which is the easiest press to break. One good pass and it’s broken and the other team is off to the races. The total lack of detail when they press is laughable. JB’s answer is “we’re not a good pressing team”, when he should say I can’t teach this group how to press. It’s not going to change so I just see it for what it is. He won’t evolve after all these years. It will be the same old, same old for at least the next two years. I do see improvement on the offensive end, but nothing on the defensive end.

I don’t understand. We have some talent. JG3, Edwards and guerrier all still developing. They all look like they will be here for at least two more years. No seniors and Everybody is most likely going to return next year.

Can’t we watch them develop take their lumps with the expectation they will be better next year? Last year we had a bunch of upper classmen who underachieved which made it more frustrating.

I don’t understand. We have some talent. JG3, Edwards and guerrier all still developing. They all look like they will be here for at least two more years. No seniors and Everybody is most likely going to return next year.

Can’t we watch them develop take their lumps with the expectation they will be better next year? Last year we had a bunch of upper classmen who underachieved which made it more frustrating.
[/QUOTE
Develop into what.? After watching this team in person and many who were in attendance were stunned how bad we looked and GT was missing two players. Time for JB to go play golf

Yeah. I’m ‘bent’ rather than broken. I’m still, obsessively, going to watch every game and every minute. But whereas it used to be an event—lucky tee, lucky socks, OJ, etc., sitting on the edge of my seat—it’s now just ‘on,’ and I might be playing solitaire or on a guitar forum while I’m giving the game like 80% attention.

I can’t imagine what it would take or for how long for me to actually stop watching. Can’t imagine it. I’ve missed like two or three broadcast games (radio/tv) since 1985. Can’t imagine it.
Perfectly stated.

I think this is what every fan of every team at the bottom of every P5 conference tells themselves... When all these guys we got are Seniors and Juniors watch out big boys, WATCH OUT!!!

I can see the logic, but not sure it's how it works. Buddy is not going to get faster, JGIII isn't likely going to turn into an AA, and our future Centers may be what Sidibe is, just a hope and a dream of something better. Like Marek... Who still hasn't morphed into Dirk.

Idk what you being in attendance has to do with anything. I watched on TV and saw the same stuff.
They need to learn how to close out halves and games. The good thing is they are young. If this was a veteran team (last year) with a bunch of returning starters I would be pissed. This team is playing 3-4 regular freshman...the most experienced player is marek. He seems to have developed well overall after a few years.
I’m not saying it doesn’t suck...just take it for what it is and assess whether the team is better at the end of the year. Getting frustrated to me is a waste of time this year.

Take that from a cowboy/braves fan who has been mediocre since 1995 though.

My breaking point is when the basketball program no longer exists. Until that point... me, my brother, my dad, my son, my nephews, and friends will continue to watch, cheer, cook meals, and hope like hell we win. That’s called loyalty. I hope you all end up with wives, kids, co-workers, and friends who love you unconditionally. Life is much more fulfilling when you have that kind of support system. Real fans show extra support when their teams need it. In the end the good times are so much sweeter when you love unconditionally when times are tough. I watched all 40 minutes today as always. We made roast beef and hung our Christmas ornaments. The Roast was cooked to perfection (medium rare). My son hung his 44 ornament (his first) at halftime. It was a solid afternoon despite the loss. Wish we would have played better and won. No different than anyone else on the board. But certainly wouldn’t have rather not could I migraine doing anything else on a Saturday in December with my family. Love you all.

I might take a longer look at how I spend my monies

Not likely to attend anymore games this year (and I have season tix). ACC game crowds are going to look like we’re playing Colgate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom