What is your breaking point? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is your breaking point?

I'm curious- where honestly are the last remaining optimists on this program? I have been at the point of turning off games and purposely avoiding them in our recent bad stretch of years but this year, honestly it is hard to care much while there is no sign of change at the top of program. Not bailing on supporting my alma mater but I have about reached my breaking point with accepting this as a reality that could still turn positive.

I'm curious what about others? Is it two losing seasons in a row or more ? Or is it JB can coach till he is 90 and it is absolutely ok because he has earned it? I think more and more are frustrated but not to the point where they aren't willing to choose Netflix every night over SU games in the dome or at home...
In the rear view

I think in general this season is healthier for the fans. No more cardiac arrest for anyone. We lose by 20+ points every game no need to hurry you could take a slow bubble bath at half time and not miss anything.

Last edited:
That didn’t take long.

pretty sure I was still drunk when I left you. 4 quick jack and cokes had me typing like ablind person. Made it through security, realized it was thewrong security. Made it through the right security and hit the closest bar. Pretty sure my gate is in this terminal

I don’t get that mad anymore. Some of that is just getting older, but most is numbness.

Last year broke me.
It’s supposed to be entertainment.
The previous 5 years have built up numbness for me.
I still care about the program but watching the games is honestly the worst part and that is supposed to be the entertainment.
Our season ticket holders for basketball should be commended.
The quality of basketball on the court has just been poor.
Winning some ugly games have masked that fact.

My cable do not carry ACCN and I haven't even looked to see if I can get it another way.

I hate to disagree with the majority of the board but I think by Buddy's sr year, we will be good. I like Edwards and think he will be a very good 5 for us. I have heard great things about JBA. Not from anyone on the hill either. A noted basketball guy watching Syracuse practice before the year said next year those guys will be able to play. And in two years, no one will want to play against them. Girard and Buddy by that time will be very tough. Sort of N.D. guard types. We will need a 3 to be good. I'm hopeful that team will be very good and send JB off to the sunset. I'm more confidant that we will be very good than I am that Jb will leave at that point.
Man I hope you're right! And I hope l get to see ! I do prefer an experienced squad who play smartly over 1-n-doners.

It’s supposed to be entertainment.
The previous 5 years have built up numbness for me.
I still care about the program but watching the games is honestly the worst part and that is supposed to be the entertainment.
Our season ticket holders for basketball should be commended.
The quality of basketball on the court has just been poor.
Winning some ugly games have masked that fact.
But a team scoring 60ppg is NOT entertaining. I feel sorry for Virginia fans what a boring team. So much so winning barely off sets that. If SU was losing 85-80 games, it wouldn't be so bad.

To answer the original question - I do not really know if I have a breaking point.

It's like my Oakland Raiders who have not returned to their glory days in a lot of years. However, I have been a fan of them since the late 60's and continue to this day. Same holds true for my Orange hoops that I have followed since the early 80's. I am not pleased with the product we have put on the court for a number of years, even though we have made a couple of nice March runs. It is indeed very frustrating, but with the lack of talent we have, and have had in recent years, I really don't have any great expectations. I was very disappointed today when we didn't try to run them out of the building as they only had seven players.

I am getting up there in age and I sincerely hope we can get some high quality consistency before too long. Changes are coming, it's just a matter of when.
Good to know I'm not the only Raiders fan on this site.

I've been an SU FB/BB fan since the 1960's and wouldn't know how not to be one. The only time I wondered if it was worth the pain and frustration was in the wake of that night in Raleigh in 1998 when I'd convinced myself that we were going to run the table after the Tennessee loss and get to the first BCS title game and McNabb was going to win the Heisman in his senior year and we sleep-walked through a 17-38 loss that crushed our, (my) dreams. I really wondered: is this adding to my life or subtracting from it?

I've learned since then not to get too high or too low, to deal with reality rather than expectations and to see the Upside and the Downside. if it gets too much, I simply enjoy the other things in life, (books, old movies, etc.). the players and coaches don't get to do that. We do. I'll still follow the teams and can still enjoy their triumphs. In a downturn, I look for signs of improvement. It's still early in the season with a young team. We may not make the NCAAs or even the NIT. I'd be very sad if we couldn't at least continue our run of winning seasons, which I think is special. But I'll still be rooting for them no matter what happens. Loyalty gets rewarded eventually.

JB seemed calm and even encouraged at the press conference. I'll panic when he does.
I could not agree more with your comment. I too go back to the 50's - graduated in'59, had my ups and downs since then and am comfortable with the not too high/not to low description.

So can I be clear I have no intention of choosing to dump SU sports?? Not sure why that is the interpretation. Breaking point is not equivalent with walking away and forgetting SU sports exists. If that is how some are reading it- then you are reading it wrong.

Sorry to have misinterpreted your original post. Re-reading it, I think you meant a loss of optimism. I've had many times when I lost optimism. I have never lost hope.

I'm grappling with the likelihood that this season will be a total whiff: No NCAA. NO NIT, the string of winning seasons broken. That would make me very sad. But I still think there are players on this team that will be part of our next really good team and I will look for improvement in the players as the season goes on even if our normal team goals are missed. It's the same in football, where we found out that we are not "back". But I think that we have now developed the ability to have a year like last year and are building toward the next one.

I don't think I have a breaking point. I took a season off when the Chargers moved to LA in protest, and promised myself I'd never go back, but here I am following those losers again.

I still make plans to watch the hoops games just as I always would, but I really don't get emotional about the games at all any more.

I just assume we're going to lose, and/or just be enjoyable to watch, and occasionally have a pleasant surprise when games like Ga Tech arise. Perhaps there is a point where I start missing games that are easily found, but at the moment the biggest change is that I actually give up if a stream becomes hard to find as it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

But do you enjoy the games? Loyalty is great, but if it leaves you in a bad mood once or twice a week, when is it enough? The team needs to be good enough to be competitive to make it fun.

Losing for so long in football was no fun, until Dino sparked my interest again.
(There were some good wins under Marrone, but not enough to really get excited about, and then he was gone.)

But next year, we have to win games again. No more of this ineptitude.
For both football and basketball programs really if you think about it.

I don't think I have a breaking point. I took a season off when the Chargers moved to LA in protest, and promised myself I'd never go back, but here I am following those losers again.

That has to suck basically playing 16 road games per season.

pretty sure I was still drunk when I left you. 4 quick jack and cokes had me typing like ablind person. Made it through security, realized it was thewrong security. Made it through the right security and hit the closest bar. Pretty sure my gate is in this terminal

Any guesses as to what city or country CuseTroop makes his next post from?

SMH Guys are ready at their time. We have had plenty of kids that were not ready to play as freshman but did well later. And he is a project. One that some that have actually seen him, think a lot of.

No no no this is not true. Maybe some guys were blocked as freshmen but they at least showed plenty of promise. The Christmas revisionary history on here drives me insane too he was blocked as a freshman but looked good when he played maybe not to his recruiting level, underwhelmed So and Jr years big time, put it together as a senior. Good posters look silly when they reference him as a guy gradually progressing.

The fact that Sidibe who’s clearly overmatched has shown far more good than the young guys I’m referencing should say it all. Sure it’s still early but 2 years in a row of duds other than Boeheim and Girard is why we stink along with our 2 best players forgoing eligibility with no shot at being drafted.

Edwards Gurrier Carey Ajak Goodine is almost half the roster. They are not giving us much collectively. Fine 2 aren’t playing but that means minutes for the other 3. Howard Washington has beat them out for minutes.

Without naming anyone I think our best shot at winning soon is to open up a handful of scholarships to grad and regular transfers for the rest of the JB/Buddy era and punt on guys who have shown up far worse than their recruiting rankings indicated. Happy to be proven wrong.

I'm curious- where honestly are the last remaining optimists on this program? I have been at the point of turning off games and purposely avoiding them in our recent bad stretch of years but this year, honestly it is hard to care much while there is no sign of change at the top of program. Not bailing on supporting my alma mater but I have about reached my breaking point with accepting this as a reality that could still turn positive.

I'm curious what about others? Is it two losing seasons in a row or more ? Or is it JB can coach till he is 90 and it is absolutely ok because he has earned it? I think more and more are frustrated but not to the point where they aren't willing to choose Netflix every night over SU games in the dome or at home...

These days if I catch the game live, cool. If not I DVR them and if they get boatraced I just erase the recording. My last angry game was last year's tourney loss. Now it's more apathy then anger when they lose.

To answer the original question - I do not really know if I have a breaking point.

It's like my Oakland Raiders who have not returned to their glory days in a lot of years. However, I have been a fan of them since the late 60's and continue to this day. Same holds true for my Orange hoops that I have followed since the early 80's. I am not pleased with the product we have put on the court for a number of years, even though we have made a couple of nice March runs. It is indeed very frustrating, but with the lack of talent we have, and have had in recent years, I really don't have any great expectations. I was very disappointed today when we didn't try to run them out of the building as they only had seven players.

I am getting up there in age and I sincerely hope we can get some high quality consistency before too long. Changes are coming, it's just a matter of when.

At least you got to see the glory years. I started watching the LA Raiders in mid 80's, at the beginning of the decline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom