What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced?

I’ll play, things I actually saw in person

1.6 ot game never will see anything like it again In my lifetime.
2. Beating Clemson around a bunch of obnoxious Clemson fans who bought the seats next to me
3. 1998 in the big house we beat Brady and Michigan
4. Shocking two Greg Robinson coached games he actually won2007 at Louisville fans were the worst there, and 2008 at Notre Dame.
5. Any time we beat Georgetown

McNabb to Brominski is the best one I attended live. If you lived in Northern Virginia at the time, swarmed by Hokie locusts, it was even more special.

2003 natty is my favorite Cuse thing of all. Nothing beats a natty.

1991 Florida and Dar Dar has to be on there because it was my freshman year when all this started.

Maybe Kansas in 1996, slightly over Georgia. Only because it kicked off what was one of this most fun days I’ve ever had, completely unscheduled on a Sunday afternoon.

Under the radar honorable mention. Gator Bowl after the 95 season. Clemson fans in Jacksonville were generally nice but couldn’t have been more disrespectful when it came to our football program. One of the biggest beatdowns I’ve seen from us and I enjoyed every second of it.

Brominski - I rushed the field a little too early. If they threw a flag on that play I would have gone to jail.

I’ll play, things I actually saw in person

1.6 ot game never will see anything like it again In my lifetime.
2. Beating Clemson around a bunch of obnoxious Clemson fans who bought the seats next to me
3. 1998 in the big house we beat Brady and Michigan
4. Shocking two Greg Robinson coached games he actually won2007 at Louisville fans were the worst there, and 2008 at Notre Dame.
5. Any time we beat Georgetown
Fans weren’t great at South Bend. The students pelted their own team with snow balls if I remember correctly.

84 Nebraska- was at homecoming in Geneseo. Caught the 4th quarter in the main lounge in Monroe hall. When the game ended there was a reaction uptown. Ramped up the party. Left there around 5 , went right to campus and that was nuts.

97 Gtown - Mcnabb game. Right behind the SU bench.

87 PSU

91 UF

01 Auburn

Not sure if this was the original intent but I am sticking to ones I witnessed in person:
1- 1980 - Morris 94 yard TD in first Dome game vs Miami Oh.
2- 1987 - McPherson to Moore 80 yard TD on 1st play vs Penn State.
3 - 1987 - Owens around the end for 2 vs WVU for undefeated season.
4 - 1982 - SU takes down Phi Slamma Jamma and their little known center named Hakeem Olajuwon (Clyde the Glide also on that team).

1) Joe Morris taking a pitch around the right edge, the seas parted and he took it to the house about 80 yards. I was top row against the wall near the roof inaugural year of the dome looking right down the hash marks with the perfect vantage point. Jaw dropping.
2) big east basketball, Jim boeheim serves as the face of for SU, pick just about any Georgetown Villanova or St John's game mid 80s I was there
3) phi slamma jamma victory 1983
4) boarding a plane to relocate to NJ from TX listening to the close out of Miss St to get to the 97 championship game

These are the Top 4 that come to mind that I experienced in person.

1. Sherman's final game versus G'town. The reverse jam at the end is still cemented in my brain.
2. Following year, G'town game. The JT Technical's, Billy O makes two free throws, so awesome.
3. GMac's game winner at G'town. Was living in DC at the time and lost my voice doing my part in turning the MCI Center into a home game
4. Marvin Graves leads 'Cuse to an upset over Florida in the Dome. Kirby Dar Dar reverse kickoff TD to start the game.

Not sure if this was the original intent but I am sticking to ones I witnessed in person:
1- 1980 - Morris 94 yard TD in first Dome game vs Miami Oh.
2- 1987 - McPherson to Moore 80 yard TD on 1st play vs Penn State.
3 - 1987 - Owens around the end for 2 vs WVU for undefeated season.
4 - 1982 - SU takes down Phi Slamma Jamma and their little known center named Hakeem Olajuwon (Clyde the Glide also on that team).
We share 2 events, kindred spirits my guy

-- 2003 'Ship
-- Football Home win over Clemson (I would have rushed the field but didn't think it was wise to jump from section 304 :))
-- 6OT (I'm glad my boss was also up late watching, and was also dragging the next morning :))
-- Gillon shaking the foudations of the Dome (Buzzer Beater against Duke)

1959 Football National Championship win over Texas in the Cotton Bowl
2003 NCAA Basketball National Champional win over Kansas
2009 NCAA Mens Lacrosse National Championship OT win over Cornell
6 OT win over Connecticut

I’m going to spread it to lax also
McNabb to Brominski
The Block
Air Gait
Owens for 2

For mine i'm going for underrated/overlooked moments, at least to me.
1. 96 win over Kansas to go to the Final 4. The Georgia game has all of the memories, rightly so, but that Kansas team was loaded (Jacque Vaughn, Paul Pierce, others), and SU pretty much controlled that whole game.
2. 94 regular season win over Uconn, 108-95. UConn was loaded, Ray Allen came off the bench as a Frosh, they we so good. Both teams played great, ranked in the top 10. Wallace with 25/10, Moten with 31/10. Just a great night.
3. Regular season win over Gtown in 85. One of their 2 regular season losses that year at the height of the Ewing era, Pearl at his best with a great move to win it.
4, Football win over Florida 91.

I tweeted this but thought it may make for good discussion here. I know we asked in the past about individual people in regards to your own Syracuse Mt. Rushmore...but what about moments? If you had to isolate 4 Syracuse sports moments that you experienced in one fashion or another...ie, since you began following the team in some fashion.

What is your Mt. Rushmore for Syracuse moments you personally experienced? It could have been on TV, in person, whatever, just during your random (as opposed to years or decades prior).

For me, the top 3 are slam dunks. In no particular order they are

- The 1996 Win over Georgia in the NCAA Tourney
- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The 4th was trickier. 6 OTs is absolutely worth consideration. As was Gillon. The Allen Griffin game (St. John's, MSG) was a sneaky contender for me on a personal level, but i think it's too personal and relatively insignificant a memory to belong on here for me. The 2022 Soccer title SHOULD be on here but I am just not a big enough soccer fan. If I didn't watch the majority of the game live it really can't count for me personally.

Ultimately, the Final 4 that I landed on, and in large part to add a contemporary event that happened to be huge...

- The 1996 Win over Georgia in the NCAA Tourney
- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

- Cuse over Clemson football 2017

Curious to see how the Mt Rushmores may change based on era people began following the team.
Penn State 1987
Kansas 2023 NCAA Championship
Michigan - McNabb drubs the Wolverines
Pearl Sinks Mid-Court Shot

Great, and hard, question. Strictly games I was at:

2017 upset over Clemson
2016 Sweet Sixteen win over Gonzaga
2003 2nd round comeback against OSU
1998 McNabb’s final game destruction of Miami

Mt Rushmore of Syrfan threads

If Pitt was a person

311 fans are great

The Chris Ash “meltdown”

The Michigan State board meltdown thread

I made it!!!

Chris Ash!!! Someone called him a “steak head” and that was basically the most accurate description of a coach that I’ve ever seen.

Michigan State…was this in 2000? I don’t remember that if so, but I was probably banned and stirring the pot on Syracuse.com.

Michigan State…was this in 2000? I don’t remember that if so, but I was probably banned and stirring the pot on Syracuse.com.

Oh wow. I even see my reply. Vaguely remember it now. Good stuff.

Just moments; just basketball: Not in order

Sherman Douglas Hikes to Stevie Thompson in the Garden

The Block

John Wallace beats Georgia

Any moment Pearl had the ball in his hands

Honorable Mention:

Coleman, Douglas and Stevie Thompson Games

Oh, one more thing; the opposite of Mt. Rushmore >>>> A weird one, I think it was the post-season NIT in the Garden against South Carolina when both teams showed up in their white uniforms. Syracuse was in the closer hotel, so someone went back to the hotel and brought their orange uniforms and the players changed on the court during the first half, iirc.

Edit: Video of the white vs white uniforms. Right after the first commercial break. (2002)

2002 NIT White Uniforms

Last edited by a moderator:
Great responses so far!

To be clear, my original intent was for people to posit any moment they experienced in person, on TV, radio, watching online, whatever. But for those who limited it to in-person or something else, absolutely fine. Do whatever feels right.

Unless you are that moronic Albany DJ who can't read and tried to blast me on twitter.

Great responses so far!

To be clear, my original intent was for people to posit any moment they experienced in person, on TV, radio, watching online, whatever. But for those who limited it to in-person or something else, absolutely fine. Do whatever feels right.

Unless you are that moronic Albany DJ who can't read and tried to blast me on twitter.
Albany?!!? Don’t even have Giants training camp anymore. Just sit down.

These are the Top 4 that come to mind that I experienced in person.

1. Sherman's final game versus G'town. The reverse jam at the end is still cemented in my brain.
2. Following year, G'town game. The JT Technical's, Billy O makes two free throws, so awesome.
3. GMac's game winner at G'town. Was living in DC at the time and lost my voice doing my part in turning the MCI Center into a home game
4. Marvin Graves leads 'Cuse to an upset over Florida in the Dome. Kirby Dar Dar reverse kickoff TD to start the game.
I've never heard the dome louder then the Dar Dar return.

Ones that I attended in person.
6 OT
Melo debut vs Memphis
2002 FB OT win vs Hokies
1st BB game at Dome - Jan 2000 win vs ND