What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced?

2003 Hoops

WV Owens

Pearl committing to the Cuse

Pat Dye going for the tie

Considered... Shermans hike pass against Indiana

Ref throwing flag on our db against Tennessee

Georgetown- Cuse Michael Graham punching Hawkins
After reading so many great responses another I just had to add John Wallace and the 96 team Rappin "The Cuse is in the house" with Al McGuire joining in!!!

1. 0:00 on the scoreboard clock versus Kansas in the 2003 NCAA championship game.

2. Final 41 seconds of Syracuse over WVa in football in 1987 to go undefeated. I was there.
3. Syracuse over Florida in football in 1991 at the Dome. In particular, Kirby Dar Dar's game-opening punt return for a TD (after which Florida coach Steve Spurrier, who had promised to be less emotional during games, threw his cap into the dirt in disgust/anger). I was there. Classic Big East - Kirby Dar Dar and Syracuse Punish Laid Back Spurrier and the Florida Gators

4. The Pearl's halfcourt winner vs BC in 1984. Pearl Washington's greatest shot ever against Boston College 1/21/84

i was at the dome for :

pearls shot.
mcnabb to brominskie.
air gait.
the john thompson ejection.

walking out of the dome after those games i remember the mood was electric.
(honorable mention to the beat down mcnabb gave to miami his last game)

Basketball National Champions - '03
'87 win over WV
Any win over VT football
Tie - Beating Nebraska and Florida in football

UVA in E8
Clemson FB in 2017
Soccer Natty
6 OT game

Do we mean witnessed live or just in our time?

2003 Kansas Game overall but specifically when Hakim Warrick block to win the game
14 Jan 1971 Bill Smith‘s 47 point game against Lafayette
Pearl Washington (his “enough is enough“ punch of Patrick Ewing/Georgetown intimidation)
Sherman Douglas backward pass to Stevie Thompson
12 March 2009 6OT game against UConn

The four Syracuse heads for Mount Rushmore (excluding Jim Boeheim) would be
Dave Bing
Pearl Washington
Sherman Douglas
Carmelo Anthony

HONORABLE MENTION:
Derrick Coleman
John Wallace
Gerry McNamara
Billy Owens

Syracuse over LeMoyne in the inaugural CARRIER CLASSIC (1977) which was my first in-person game as a youngster and which of course led to the next night where SU knocks off Michigan State yet a young guy named Earvin Johnson (who-dat) is given the Carrier Classic MVP award and Boeheim goes classic Boeheim.

"We've played in tournaments 15 straight years. Always a player from the winning team is the MVP...This is typical; it only happens in Syracuse," Boeheim said.

Can we quote you on that Coach?

Syracuse over LeMoyne in the inaugural CARRIER CLASSIC (1977) which was my first in-person game as a youngster and which of course led to the next night where SU knocks off Michigan State yet a young guy named Earvin Johnson (who-dat) is given the Carrier Classic MVP award and Boeheim goes classic Boeheim.

"We've played in tournaments 15 straight years. Always a player from the winning team is the MVP...This is typical; it only happens in Syracuse," Boeheim said.

Can we quote you on that Coach?
Did he say anything after 1986 BET?

I tweeted this but thought it may make for good discussion here. I know we asked in the past about individual people in regards to your own Syracuse Mt. Rushmore...but what about moments? If you had to isolate 4 Syracuse sports moments that you experienced in one fashion or another...ie, since you began following the team in some fashion.

What is your Mt. Rushmore for Syracuse moments you personally experienced? It could have been on TV, in person, whatever, just during your random (as opposed to years or decades prior).

For me, the top 3 are slam dunks. In no particular order they are

- The 1996 Win over Georgia in the NCAA Tourney
- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The 4th was trickier. 6 OTs is absolutely worth consideration. As was Gillon. The Allen Griffin game (St. John's, MSG) was a sneaky contender for me on a personal level, but i think it's too personal and relatively insignificant a memory to belong on here for me. The 2022 Soccer title SHOULD be on here but I am just not a big enough soccer fan. If I didn't watch the majority of the game live it really can't count for me personally.

Ultimately, the Final 4 that I landed on, and in large part to add a contemporary event that happened to be huge...

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

- Cuse over Clemson football 2017

Curious to see how the Mt Rushmores may change based on era people began following the team.
SU -Indiana 1987
SU - Georgetown 1980
SU - Richmond 1991
SU lax - UMass 2005
The GRob era

Am I doing this right?

- GMac’s BET. The whole thing was one big moment. I got detention for skipping class to catch the games. Worth it.

- ‘03 Title

- Both Duke wins in the Dome, mostly cuz I was there.

- UVa NCAAT Malachi comeback

Hoops

Su-gown 1985 in the dome
Su-unc in 1987 ncaas
Georgia 96 game
6ot game

Football

Nebraska win
Penn state 1987
Wvu 1987
Florida 1991

Misc

Cornell lax title game win

SU -Indiana 1987
SU - Georgetown 1980
SU - Richmond 1991
SU lax - UMass 2005
The GRob era

Am I doing this right?

Hmmm...Nadirs:

I don't count the national championship game loss became I was proud of them for playing in the national championship game, even through they lost it at the end.

Football: Many #10 SU losing to #9 California 0-43 in Berkeley in 1968, thanks to 11 turnovers.
Syracuse 13 Bowling Green 41 in 1973. (BG actually returned a pick 6 90+ yards to make it 6-47 but there was a flag).
1998: Syracuse gains revenge on NC State in Raleigh on their march to the national championship and the Heisman Trophy for McNabb! Oops! 17-38.
Syracuse 20 Maryland 63 in 2019. Bye-Bye Gameday.

Basketball: DePaul 2006 and St. John's at home 2017
Richmond and Vermont.
1977: Western Kentucky in the NCAAs. Marty Byrnes had scored the tying basket and was at the line for the winning FT when Bill Packer convinced the refs "There's no continuation in college!" They bought it and took the basket off the board and made it a 1 and 1. Marty makes the first, misses the second and we lost 86-87 to make Billy happy.
"Manley Field House is CLOSED!"

For me it’s in person that really make them sizzle:
1. Sweet 16 vs Georgia-
2. Gator bowl 1996 vs Clemson-
3. Gtown/Syracuse 1996 (stole Boeheims water bottle during the court storming still got it)
4. Oklahoma game 1994 -a loss but an all timer at the dome
5. Sweet 16 vs Wisconsin, 96 Kansas elite 8 (got a piece of the net) and Round of 32 Ok st tie.

I tweeted this but thought it may make for good discussion here. I know we asked in the past about individual people in regards to your own Syracuse Mt. Rushmore...but what about moments? If you had to isolate 4 Syracuse sports moments that you experienced in one fashion or another...ie, since you began following the team in some fashion.

What is your Mt. Rushmore for Syracuse moments you personally experienced? It could have been on TV, in person, whatever, just during your random (as opposed to years or decades prior).

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The 4th was trickier. 6 OTs is absolutely worth consideration. As was Gillon. The Allen Griffin game (St. John's, MSG) was a sneaky contender for me on a personal level, but i think it's too personal and relatively insignificant a memory to belong on here for me. The 2022 Soccer title SHOULD be on here but I am just not a big enough soccer fan. If I didn't watch the majority of the game live it really can't count for me personally.

Ultimately, the Final 4 that I landed on, and in large part to add a contemporary event that happened to be huge...

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

Curious to see how the Mt Rushmores may change based on era people began following the team.
1981 Big East Championship game. Triple OT win over Nova. From that point forward, I bled Orange.

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

Favorite moments, not necessarily most historically significant.

Floyd Little's debut game against Gale Sayers & Kansas. It seemed like every time he touched the football, he was a threat to score. My first in-person game as a 5 year old with my dad, and I was hooked. We saw two more games in person that year.

First time I saw a hoops game in person at Manley in the fall of 1971. I forget who we played (either Cornell or Penn State), but it hardly mattered. The pre-game warm-ups were like watching the Harlem Globetrotters pass it around to some serious soul music. The crowd hostility was off the charts intimidating. I had been to Syracuse Blazers hockey games at the War Memorial, and it would sound like this during a fight on the ice. But this was basketball, not hockey, and the yelling, booing, cheering and intimidation went on for the entire game. No wonder we didn't lose there for over 50 games in a row. Again, instantly hooked.

The McNabb team's total beat-down of Michigan on national TV after having been robbed the week before at home vs. Tennessee was a moment where I felt that we could still truly play for another national championship.

My final top moment was the 1987 final against Indiana, even though we lost on the Keith Smart shot. We were amazing in that game. We deserved to win. I had friends over to watch, and drank literally 20 beers and smoked several joints, and we still not only coherent, but almost straight-up sober because of all the adrenaline coursing through my body.

So many great moments (like DC going up to block a shot on the baseline, and just swallowing it up with both hands and coming down with the ball). But the one amazing moment that I'll never forget was a fast break we had, and Sherman (I believe) threw an alley oop on the fast break that was intended for Howard Triche, and an Indiana guy tipped the ball, but Seikaly swooped in and dunked it anyway! Holy cow, such an unbelievable play that I threw myself over backward in the chair I was sitting in, such was my excitement.

People will say "how can that be one of your greatest moments, when the championship was SO CLOSE and we lost?" Many of you won't understand, but when I started watching SU hoops, we never had any "glory days" like the football team had had, with the Championship, the great 44s, Larry Csonka, etc. Beating Providence in the national semi-final didn't really prove anything to me. But taking Bobby Knight, already a legend, right to wire, well, from then on I knew we were a "national" program, among the elite. As Coach Knight said to Boeheim at the end, "you'll be back", and we were. We stayed among the elite for nearly the next 40 years.

Favorite moments, not necessarily most historically significant.

Floyd Little's debut game against Gale Sayers & Kansas. It seemed like every time he touched the football, he was a threat to score. My first in-person game as a 5 year old with my dad, and I was hooked. We saw two more games in person that year.

First time I saw a hoops game in person at Manley in the fall of 1971. I forget who we played (either Cornell or Penn State), but it hardly mattered. The pre-game warm-ups were like watching the Harlem Globetrotters pass it around to some serious soul music. The crowd hostility was off the charts intimidating. I had been to Syracuse Blazers hockey games at the War Memorial, and it would sound like this during a fight on the ice. But this was basketball, not hockey, and the yelling, booing, cheering and intimidation went on for the entire game. No wonder we didn't lose there for over 50 games in a row. Again, instantly hooked.

The McNabb team's total beat-down of Michigan on national TV after having been robbed the week before at home vs. Tennessee was a moment where I felt that we could still truly play for another national championship.

My final top moment was the 1987 final against Indiana, even though we lost on the Keith Smart shot. We were amazing in that game. We deserved to win. I had friends over to watch, and drank literally 20 beers and smoked several joints, and we still not only coherent, but almost straight-up sober because of all the adrenaline coursing through my body.

So many great moments (like DC going up to block a shot on the baseline, and just swallowing it up with both hands and coming down with the ball). But the one amazing moment that I'll never forget was a fast break we had, and Sherman (I believe) threw an alley oop on the fast break that was intended for Howard Triche, and an Indiana guy tipped the ball, but Seikaly swooped in and dunked it anyway! Holy cow, such an unbelievable play that I threw myself over backward in the chair I was sitting in, such was my excitement.

People will say "how can that be one of your greatest moments, when the championship was SO CLOSE and we lost?" Many of you won't understand, but when I started watching SU hoops, we never had any "glory days" like the football team had had, with the Championship, the great 44s, Larry Csonka, etc. Beating Providence in the national semi-final didn't really prove anything to me. But taking Bobby Knight, already a legend, right to wire, well, from then on I knew we were a "national" program, among the elite. As Coach Knight said to Boeheim at the end, "you'll be back", and we were. We stayed among the elite for nearly the next 40 years.
Not 1 single thing I can argue with here. Beautifully said!

Also the Kickoff Classic where we destroyed Ron Dayne’s Wisconsin team. We looked like the best team in CFB that day.

I was at that one. Lived about 2 miles from Giants Stadium back in those days.

The Block

McPherson to Rob Moore vs Penn State 1987. That said “we’re not afraid of you guys.”

John Wallace and Jason Cipolla vs Georgia in 1996

Men win Cross Country national championship in 2015. Those kids were so, so happy.

I hate when threads like this get bumped during the season. It usually means we've resigned ourselves to another mediocre/bad season. :(

Sweet Ds warm up routine
Roy's Runts magical season
3 yards and a cloud of dust watching czonk.

Special performances
Calvin Murphy
Dr. J
Bill Smith
Bug
Kid
Herman
Father B
DON'T CALL ME BUG!!!

:D

Beating Mel Davis and St John's at Manley when they were ranked no. 9; beating UNC and K State in Providence to go to the 75 FF; beating UNC at the Meadowlands to go to the 96 FF; McNabb to Brominski to beat VT. First lacrosse championship vs Hopkins at Hopkins.

Lee Brothers ( the originals)
Cherry Bowl win actually very important.
" what? Jake picked Paul to be the coach"
Owens Brothers ( most talented)