What is your number ? | Syracusefan.com

What is your number ?

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I’m going to have to say zero. They’re talking about putting a guy from the NBA onto a 16 seed and winning it all. It’s ZERO. This is not up for debate. Read the comments. People have no clue about sports. They really do not understand what they are watching. We’re talking about a SIXTEEN SEED beating UConn because they have one NBA player? Do these people understand how bad 16 seeds are ?

I’m going to have to say zero. They’re talking about putting a guy from the NBA onto a 16 seed and winning it all. It’s ZERO. This is not up for debate. Read the comments. People have no clue about sports. They really do not understand what they are watching. We’re talking about a SIXTEEN SEED beating UConn because they have one NBA player? Do these people understand how bad 16 seeds are ?

I agree. If we went up a bunch of seeds then I can see it but not a 16 seed. For instance a guy like Giannis on Wagner would make them much better but he’s only one person.

Put Giannis AND Curry on Wagner and now we are talking. But one guy, no way.

Let’s look at it this way. Davidson made a tournament run with college Steph Curry. Replace Curry with just a good college PG for that season and they probably don’t make the tournament. Maybe they make it as a 16 seed.

NBA Curry beats college Curry in a game of 21, 21 to like 6 probably. He would rip college Curry to pieces.

So put NBA Curry on Davidson and they don’t make the title game??

A top NBA guy? Yes they are winning it all IMO. Remember how unstoppable Carmelo was late in the tourney and he was just a pup. Imagine the Melo vs Texas FF game only that is like the low end of the bar. The amount of pressure a top flight NBA guy would put on the opposing defense would be nuts.

Last edited:
Yeah have to disagree with the top 2 comments. Wouldn’t be shocked if Giannis won a chip with a 16 seed. He averages 30,11, and 6 on over 60% shooting in the NBA, it would be a war crime what he would do to college kids. He’s only 1 player but nobody in college is stopping that player.

Let’s look at it this way. Davidson made a tournament run with college Steph Curry. Replace Curry with just a good college PG for that season and they probably don’t make the tournament. Maybe they make it as a 16 seed.

NBA Curry beats college Curry in a game of 21, 21 to like 6 probably. He would rip college Curry to pieces.

So put NBA Curry on Davidson and they don’t make the title game??
That Davidson team lost by 2 to the eventual National Champion(Kansas) in the elite 8. They were probably a 10 win team without Curry.

He's a rookie and could probably do it.
Slam Dunk Sport GIF by NBA

I read the thread title and thought, "You're not even going to buy me a drink first?"

:D

Seriously though, W or someone like him could maybe put together a Danny and the Miracles-type run.

That Davidson team lost by 2 to the eventual National Champion(Kansas) in the elite 8. They were probably a 10 win team without Curry.

Just my opinion, but I think using 1 random tournament run by a small school with a future NBA player to make this argument is flawed.

The NCAA tournament is extremely random. If you replay that 2008 NCAA tournament 10 times Davidson probably makes the Elite 8 how many times, once? Someone on the other end of the debate could look at Kevin Durant’s early NCAA tourney flameout and say “you need more than one amazing player to win a championship.”

This whole hypothetical question is kind of silly. But I keep responding to these threads so I guess the joke is on me.

Just my opinion, but I think using 1 random tournament run by a small school with a future NBA player to make this argument is flawed.

The NCAA tournament is extremely random. If you replay that 2008 NCAA tournament 10 times Davidson probably makes the Elite 8 how many times, once? Someone on the other end of the debate could look at Kevin Durant’s early NCAA tourney flameout and say “you need more than one amazing player to win a championship.”

This whole hypothetical question is kind of silly. But I keep responding to these threads so I guess the joke is on me.
The finished 11th in Kenpom. They beat a 7, 2, and 3. They did go through the toughest teams they could on the way to the elite 8 during that run. After Curry was drafted they went from 27 wins to 16 and dropped to 190 in KP.

Last edited:
All of these examples are NBA players when they were puppies. We are talking about putting a grown man who competes against grown men at the highest level and succeeds at a high level on a COLLEGE TEAM.
I think Victor W could and I dont think he's 20 yet. Think rookie or 2nd year Luka probably could too.

The finished 11th in Kenpom. They beat a 7, 2, and 3. They did go through the toughest teams they could on the way to the elite 8 during that run. After Curry was drafted they went from 27 wins to 16 and dropped to 190 in KP.

Obviously Curry was the driving force of their success but they also lost their other top 3 scorers that year. And they were down double digits in their first 2 tournament games (I believe they were down nearly 20 to Georgetown). Both games were essentially coin flips in the final minutes.

If they play that tournament 10 times how many times do you think they make the elite 8? It might be more than 1, but it’s not more than 2 or 3.

Obviously Curry was the driving force of their success but they also lost their other top 3 scorers that year. And they were down double digits in their first 2 tournament games (I believe they were down nearly 20 to Georgetown). Both games were essentially coin flips in the final minutes.

If they play that tournament 10 times how many times do you think they make the elite 8? It might be more than 1, but it’s not more than 2 or 3.
They probably beat Georgetown and Wisconsin 4 out of 10 times each, but we are talking about young Curry here anyway. 2014-2024 Curry probably gets them to the championship at least.

Since UMBC and Fairleigh Dickinson have already established that a 16 can beat a 1 without an NBA player, I'd guess they could win a few if you gave them a top NBA player. like Giannis and many others.

All of these examples are NBA players when they were puppies. We are talking about putting a grown man who competes against grown men at the highest level and succeeds at a high level on a COLLEGE TEAM.
Yes this is what people are overlooking. You can't say "then why didn't ___ team win when that current NBA player was in college? (ex- Tatum on Duke, Durant on Texas, etc. etc.)". Because these guys get substantially better the first few years in the NBA. Age 25-35 is not even close to the same physically or mentally as when they were 21 (or younger).

This is not up for debate. Read the comments. People have no clue about sports
LOL. As was said above, this has already happened with scrawny college kids. What am I missing here???

A top NBA guy? Yes they are winning it all IMO. Remember how unstoppable Carmelo was late in the tourney and he was just a pup. Imagine the Melo vs Texas FF game only that is like the low end of the bar. The amount of pressure a top flight NBA guy would put on the opposing defense would be nuts.
Remember how Carmelo had another NBA player on his team? Put Carmelo on the Swac champ and see how that works out

Since UMBC and Fairleigh Dickinson have already established that a 16 can beat a 1 without an NBA player, I'd guess they could win a few if you gave them a top NBA player. like Giannis and many others.

You have to win 6 games. Sure a 16 seed with an nba player could win one or two. Now do six .

LOL. As was said above, this has already happened with scrawny college kids. What am I missing here???
I don’t understand what you are saying. But I rarely understand what you are saying .

We had a thread on this a week or two back.

You are severely underestimating how good NBA players are. Giannis would score 40 and block 15 shots on a bad night against the best college team.
He’d have to score a lot more than that

He’d have to score a lot more than that

Not really. The gap between 16 and a 1 is about 20 points, maybe 30. His 40 on a night where he has the flu and a sprained ankle would close a lot of that gap.

He’d be making all of the guys around him better, getting them easy looks. These are 16 seeds, not the worst teams in basketball. They have shooters, they have a couple guys with some size and ability, not just doofuses tripping on themselves.

His defense would be nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom