What Jim Phillips has done to unify ACC football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What Jim Phillips has done to unify ACC football

It is funny of the Atlantic schools I only want to play BC yearly. I have no desire to see the others yearly. But of the Coastal teams I would like to see all of them, yet we never play them outside of Pitt.
Playing each twice over 4 years would be great. I hate not playing Clemson or FSU - giving up Miami and GT annually to get Clemson and FSU twice every 4 years is a big improvement.

Wake was our first game (in baseball as well) which is the reason we have played them in OOC games. But playing Wake twice over 4 years is acceptable. If we go 3 (annual) + 5 (5), our 3 most likely would be UVA (South's Oldest Rivalry), Dook (Victory Bell), and MooU (AKA State College).

If 4 + 4/4/4(1+3)/4/4(2+2)/4/4(3+1)/4/4 gives you Wake every year, is that not better? Having FSU vs Clemson every year is not better for the conference TV contract?

Playing the non yearly schools every 2.25 years is a negligible difference from once every 2 years.

Are the B1G, B12, P12 really going to go down from 10 P5 games (9+1) to 9 games (8+1)? Especially if the SEC goes up to 10 from 9? TV won't want that.

I think the ACC will go 8+2 because of the ND problem. So Clemson and FSU don't have to worry about having years of 9 ACC + SEC Rival + ND (11 P5 games).

Someone has to be paired with Louisville. I hate that we play them yearly, but unfortunately we are likely odd man out.
TV should realize that fans are going to want variety in the schedule and should continue to leave plenty of room for interconference matches to occur.

I don't want to see SEC teams constantly only play other SEC teams year in and year out, with the exception of their FCS cupcake and non-P5 opponent. Same for ACC, B1G, Pac, whoever. That will get old very quick.

As much as it makes sense (and is somewhat likely) that NC schools get what they want - it’s not the only concern. As sutomcat said - much depends on going to 9 games or not.

8 games + pod where you see everyone in a 2 year span + an alliance game = more money

Might be enough for Wake and UNC not to play every year

You are confusing two points. I am saying if you only have 8 games it is better to play 4 perm and 4 rotating than 3 perm and 5 rotating. With 4 perm you get home and away every 4.5 years and keep more yearly games vs 3 perm and every 4 years.

If 4 + 4/4/4(1+3)/4/4(2+2)/4/4(3+1)/4/4 gives you Wake every year, is that not better? Having FSU vs Clemson every year is not better for the conference TV contract?

Playing the non yearly schools every 2.25 years is a negligible difference from once every 2 years.
Your math is absolutely giving me a headache

If we end up with a 9 game conference schedule in the ACC, I like your suggestion. The pairings are not acceptable; we can't be paired with UL for instance.

But the general premise is good and I agree, the more often we play all the teams in the conference, the better.

The key to me is money.

If the ACC is going to get more money playing an 8 game conference schedule with an Alliance game every year, I am for that.

If the ACC gets more money going to 9 conference games, I am for that.

ESPN is underpaying the ACC big time and that has to be addressed for the status quo to change. I think that is the way Phillips is playing this and really, it is his only play.

I hope it works.

Personally, I think the B1G, P12 and ACC are all going to play 8 game conference schedules and have a 9th Alliance game annually. There will be an oddball team or two in the ACC each year that has to schedule an extra OOC game because the ACC has more teams but my guess is that this will get all the Alliance teams the most money and they are going to go in that direction.

Very glad to hear the ACC is finally open to change on this. The current conference schedule setup is truly awful and has to change ASAP.
The ACC is being grossly, almost criminally, underpaid (per our TV numbers) for 2 primary reasons: 1) ESPN invested 100% in the SEC (including in basketball) and ESPN wants to squeeze Notre Dame. The latter will not work until the last second when ND literally must choose to hop into bed with the BT for the most money or else be full in the ACC. And by that last second it will be too late.

You are confusing two points. I am saying if you only have 8 games it is better to play 4 perm and 4 rotating than 3 perm and 5 rotating. With 4 perm you get home and away every 4.5 years and keep more yearly games vs 3 perm and every 4 years.
Gotcha - you caught me going half arsed with not doing my homework lol

It seems all of this would be much simpler and much cleaner if you did a 5-4-4 instead.

5 permanent opponents and cycle the other 8 opponents 4 teams on 4 teams off. But that would mean a 9 game ACC schedule and I hate it

Still a proponent of the 3-5-5

Would you rather play Wake yearly or Wake every other year? You can achieve yearly with 4 perm and then rotate the other 4 games with the other 9 teams. So UNC would play SU 4x (twice home and twice away) over 9 seasons, or home and away every 4.5 seasons. That is a lot better than once home and once away over 12 years. While 3+5/5 is home and away every 4 seasons, so you add half a season to go with 4 perm rivals. It isn't as clean, but it preserves tradition better.
After what we've had, I would be OK with playing both Wake and Moo twice every 4 years if that is what it took to make the league better paid and we got a third team as an annual that makes sense for us and our needs (Miami, GT, FSU, and Clemson all fir that bill).

So the question for me now is whether I would rather UNC play Wake annually or else play Wake and Clemson and FSU and Miami all twice over 4 years. I would pick the latter. And i think ESPN would prefer UNC playing FSU and Clemson more often rather than playing Wake annually.

After what we've had, I would be OK with playing both Wake and Moo twice every 4 years if that is what it took to make the league better paid and we got a third team as an annual that makes sense for us and our needs (Miami, GT, FSU, and Clemson all fir that bill).

So the question for me now is whether I would rather UNC play Wake annually or else play Wake and Clemson and FSU and Miami all twice over 4 years. I would pick the latter. And i think ESPN would prefer UNC playing FSU and Clemson more often rather than playing Wake annually.

Mathematically it would come out to Wake 18x in 18 years and FSU 8x in 18 years or both Wake and FSU 9x over 18 years. You get FSU 1 more time but Wake 9x less.

It is funny of the Atlantic schools I only want to play BC yearly. I have no desire to see the others yearly. But of the Coastal teams I would like to see all of them, yet we never play them outside of Pitt.
We get low priority in who get in the 3 annuals.

These schools are easy to get 3 annuals.
Clemson- Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State
North Carolina- Duke, Virginia, NC State
NC State- North Carolina, Clemson, Wake Forest
Duke- Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest

These schools have 2 prerty easy
Miami- Florida State, Virginia Tech
Boston College- Syracuse, Pittsburgh
Syracuse- Boston College, Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech- Duke, Clemson
Wake Forest- Duke, NC State
Virginia Tech-Miami, Virginia
Florida State- Miami, Clemson,
Virginia- Virginia Tech, North Carolina,
Pittsburgh- Boston College, Syracuse

1 school with zsro
Louisville

Then fill in the blanks.
I mean its easy to fill in the rest but its not hard.
Virginia-Louisville have been “rivals” since UMd left.

So give Louisville-Virginia, Wake Forest, Syracuse.
Boston College-Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh-Miami
Georgia Tech-Florida State

Last edited:
We would definitely have Pitt, Louisville, and BC. Without a doubt

TV should realize that fans are going to want variety in the schedule and should continue to leave plenty of room for interconference matches to occur.

I don't want to see SEC teams constantly only play other SEC teams year in and year out, with the exception of their FCS cupcake and non-P5 opponent. Same for ACC, B1G, Pac, whoever. That will get old very quick.
Right now, the SEC plays 8, like the ACC. It will go to 9 with OU and UT. And at that point, scheduling most SEC teams OOC will be very difficult because none of them want to lose any games

1 school with zsro
Louisville

Then fill in the blanks.

Pittsburgh-Miami
Louisville's most played rival in both revenue sports is Cincy. If we were to go to 15 (which is possible if you do not play divisions), Cincy would be the choice.

I am okay with that as well.
We would get Miami every 4 years rather than 12.

Plus those are peers we “should” be able to compete with and not the factories.
I would want Cuse, BC, and Pitt all playing each other annually to try to maximize interest in ACC football in the northeast.

Your list of 4 schools who have an obvious 3 rivals is spot on.

FSU playing GT annually makes sense as FSU has a ton of alums in the Atlanta area and in GA more generally. FSU playing in Atlanta every other year can help the ACC fight the foothold that SEC football has over the market.

I like Cuse-Miami as an annual game because in the old days, Miami when good had very good TV ratings in NYC.

I am okay with that as well.
We would get Miami every 4 years rather than 12.

Plus those are peers we “should” be able to compete with and not the factories.
100%

I’m just a Cuse fan who would like to see a bowl more often than not.
Yes, but for team and league respect, we all need decent OOC scheduling. I think Cuse needs to play Rutgers often, to try to have a major say in NJ recruiting. I think Cuse should regularly play non-Elite BT programs, like Purdue and IU and Northwestern, to try to help recruiting the midwest.

I think the same about BC. I think Pitt needs to play PSU as often as possible.

Right now, the SEC plays 8, like the ACC. It will go to 9 with OU and UT. And at that point, scheduling most SEC teams OOC will be very difficult because none of them want to lose any games
Another reason why the SEC expansion was just garbage. That's fine. They can be in their own insular world, and fight for #1 in that impossible conference. The rest of college athletics should lock them out anyway and see if they bleed some of that stupid money they are getting.

Now let me tell you how I really feel ...

1 school with zsro
Louisville

Then fill in the blanks.

Pittsburgh-Miami

Clemson's most played ACC rival is Wake. You don't fix UNC-Wake not playing, nor NC State-Duke. UVA-Louisville would not stay IMO. Pitt-BC hasn't been played all that much. Not worth keeping vs having Pitt-Louisville.

With only 3, I think it should be:

Clemson- GA Tech, NC State, Wake
UNC- UVA, Duke, NC State
Duke- UNC, GA Tech, Wake
NC State- UNC, Clemson, Wake
Wake- NC State, Clemson, Duke
GA Tech- Clemson, Duke, FSU
FSU- Miami, GA Tech, Louisville
Miami- FSU, VA Tech, BC
VA Tech- Miami, UVA, BC
UVA- UNC, VA Tech, Pitt
SU- BC, Pitt, Louisville