What Jim Phillips has done to unify ACC football | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What Jim Phillips has done to unify ACC football

Is your scenario an 8 game or 9 game conference season.

Tbe ACC isn’t going to a 9 game season because FSU/Clemson and the ND series.

The SEC may go to 9 because ESPN gave them 4 billion dollars for 10 years in their new TV deal and they will have 16 teams. Florida is the only school really affected. Georgia will play 9 SEC games and keep Ga.Tech because even their road games at Tech are de facto home games.

If the ACC expands maybe they would add a game but the Big XII took a lot of candidates and ND isn’t joining.

4 annual opponents isn’t clean scheduling like 3+5+5 in an 8 game conference season.

8 games. You play 4 teams yearly and rotate the other 9 teams for the other 4 games. Over a 9 year span you end up playing these 9 teams 4x each. With the 3+5/5 you end up playing the 10 teams 4-5x each.

It isn't "clean" but it works so much better. What is more important being clean or protecting matchups?

I hate that we play Louisville. Really hope they are off the yearly schedule. Of the teams that make sense for SU...

Yes- BC, Pitt
No- FSU, Miami, Clemson, GA Tech, VA Tech, UNC, NC State, Louisville
Maybe- UVA, Duke, Wake

Duke and Wake have a bunch of other schools that they rather play so we don't fit for them. That leaves UVA by default. UVA has a long history with the original ACC schools but they are all tied up with bigger rivalries. They kind of get stuck with us. With BBall and Lax I think it is a good fit, despite no real history in FB. If it isn't UVA then I think we get stuck with Louisville. Wake is a possibility too if they are forced to give up historical yearly rivalries.
Virginia if we get our UVA fan to chime in have 2 must plays
1. North Carolina and 2. Virginia Tech.
Maryland was probably their 3rd.
If they had their choice their 3rd is probably Duke but it’s not a must play.

We get stuck with Louisville because of what you said.

I have said Louisville should be matched up with ACC teams in SEC states just to give the ACC something in those areas.
I would like to get Louisville with Georgia Tech, Florida State, and then Pittsburgh. Just because i think a Pittsburgh-Louisville game could get some juice.

Florida State though would prefer Georgia Tech themselves annuallly than Louisville.

8 games. You play 4 teams yearly and rotate the other 9 teams for the other 4 games. Over a 9 year span you end up playing these 9 teams 4x each. With the 3+5/5 you end up playing the 10 teams 4-5x each.

It isn't "clean" but it works so much better. What is more important being clean or protecting matchups?
I would say if every team had 4 must plays maybe.
But its hard to for a lot of conference.
3 +5 +5 allows for NFL like scheduling where you can know years in advance whom you are playing and can plan.

Playing every team home and away atleast once over 4 years is achieved.

I have said Louisville should be matched up with ACC teams in SEC states just to give the ACC something in those areas.
I would like to get Louisville with Georgia Tech, Florida State, and then Pittsburgh. Just because i think a Pittsburgh-Louisville game could get some juice.

Florida State though would prefer Georgia Tech themselves annuallly than Louisville.

Makes me curious who has any juice in this. I assume Phillips would create a committee, but would they let the schools get 1 preference pick. Maybe 1 veto with no guarantees?

I would assume UNC-UVA and Miami-FSU are preserved but other than that, all bets are off.

I'd try to hook up VT with Clemson annually. Get the two most rabid fanbases and two most popular team entrances in an attractive TV rivalry. 300 miles between them, so opposing fans traveling wouldn't be an issue. Maybe even throw every 5th game at the midway point in Charlotte.

I hate that we play Louisville. Really hope they are off the yearly schedule. Of the teams that make sense for SU...

Yes- BC, Pitt
No- FSU, Miami, Clemson, GA Tech, VA Tech, UNC, NC State, Louisville
Maybe- UVA, Duke, Wake

Duke and Wake have a bunch of other schools that they rather play so we don't fit for them. That leaves UVA by default. UVA has a long history with the original ACC schools but they are all tied up with bigger rivalries. They kind of get stuck with us. With BBall and Lax I think it is a good fit, despite no real history in FB. If it isn't UVA then I think we get stuck with Louisville. Wake is a possibility too if they are forced to give up historical yearly rivalries.
You think Miami doesn't make sense for Syracuse?

Surely you meant you write that you think Syracuse doesn't make sense for Miami, right?

Why? You know they were our strongest advocate when we were up for discussion as a future ACC member, right?

They wanted us because they wanted the conference to be more Northeast oriented. They wanted more UM games played in the Northeast, more visibility to their key market for their student body and fanbase.

I don't pretend to know what Miami wants today. But I would be really surprised if given the choice, they would prefer to play VT annually instead of Syracuse.

Hopefully the ACC will finally get rid of divisions, choose a pod based scheduling system, and make some smart decisions establishing annual rivals.

Makes me curious who has any juice in this. I assume Phillips would create a committee, but would they let the schools get 1 preference pick. Maybe 1 veto with no guarantees?

I would assume UNC-UVA and Miami-FSU are preserved but other than that, all bets are off.

I'd try to hook up VT with Clemson annually. Get the two most rabid fanbases and two most popular team entrances in an attractive TV rivalry. 300 miles between them, so opposing fans traveling wouldn't be an issue. Maybe even throw every 5th game at the midway point in Charlotte.
If one of Syracuse or Boston College could get their chit together I have advocated splitting BC/SU and UVa/VPI for the current divisions.

Put VPI in the Atlantic and one of SU/BC preferably us in the coastal and just make the crossovers protected. However Tech is needed for balance in the Coastal.

Great article. We can go round and round on opponents, but the most important thing is that the conference is seriously discussing ditching divisions and enacting something that makes far more sense, even if its not perfect.

Syracuse is a minnow in the ACC football pond. If the 3 permanent opponent thing were to happen, we'll get BC, Pitt and then be told 'you get what you get and don't get upset'. Its our own fault, if we hadn't mostly sucked since joining the league we'd have far more sway.

And honestly, I doubt we're on the top 3 list of most in the conference outside of BC and Pitt, and certainly not for any of the southern schools.

I see your point, but to be fair many fans won’t understand the matchup sequence if the schedule isn’t “clean”. A simple formula definitely has its own value to consider.

I would say if every team had 4 must plays maybe.
But its hard to for a lot of conference.
3 +5 +5 allows for NFL like scheduling where you can know years in advance whom you are playing and can plan.

Playing every team home and away atleast once over 4 years is achieved.

You would know 9 years ahead of time with the 4+ model. For instance, let's say SU gets BC, Pitt, UVA, Louisville as our 4 teams:

Year 1 FSU, GA Tech, UNC, Duke
Year 2 Miami, Clemson, NC State, Wake
Year 3 VA Tech, FSU, GA Tech, UNC
Year 4 Duke, Miami, Clemson, NC State
Year 5 Wake, VA Tech, FSU, GA Tech
Year 6 UNC, Duke, Miami, Clemson
Year 7 NC State, Wake, VA Tech, FSU
Year 8 GA Tech, UNC, Duke, Miami
Year 9 Clemson, NC State, Wake, VA Tech

That completes a full cycle. We get each team 4x (2H & 2A). It is no different than knowing the Notre Dame games years in advance.

Louisville should be with VA Tech, Pitt, GA Tech, FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC State before SU. The problem is GA Tech, FSU, Clemson, NC State do not have Louisville in their Top 3. So SU is in danger of getting stuck with Louisville. Sadly we are their most played ACC opponent.

You are assuming that the 3+5/5 model will be chosen because it is pretty. The 4+ model is so much better at keeping rivalries. Why should Clemson even have to choose to give up their #1 played ACC team?
You sure they are dying to play Wake? It’s not a rivalry - more of a punching bag situation. Maybe they like that?

You think Miami doesn't make sense for Syracuse?

Surely you meant you write that you think Syracuse doesn't make sense for Miami, right?

Why? You know they were our strongest advocate when we were up for discussion as a future ACC member, right?

They wanted us because they wanted the conference to be more Northeast oriented. They wanted more UM games played in the Northeast, more visibility to their key market for their student body and fanbase.

I don't pretend to know what Miami wants today. But I would be really surprised if given the choice, they would prefer to play VT annually instead of Syracuse.

Hopefully the ACC will finally get rid of divisions, choose a pod based scheduling system, and make some smart decisions establishing annual rivals.

Sorry SU doesn't make sense for Miami. Playing SU every other year is fine. It isn't like SU is in NYC's backyard. I think they rather play Pitt and BC over SU as a Northeastern game.

I prefer to see everyone more often than protect rivalries, but any pod type system is way way better than what we have now.

You sure they are dying to play Wake? It’s not a rivalry - more of a punching bag situation. Maybe they like that?
It isn't a rivalry but it is tradition. CFB is so much about tradition. I don't like throwing that away if you don't have to. Wake is their most played ACC opponent. It would be a shame if they only play every other year. Also you really screw Wake as the don't have UNC or Clemson yearly. And they will end up with BC or SU in return.

VT-Miami is a bigger game, it's not even worth getting into. Miami has no fans, going to Cuse or Blacksburg or anywhere, doesn't really matter. Tech can flood the Carolina schools and others before UL is in the picture.

We'll get stuck with UL because we're both newbies named after cities where hoops comes first.

Stupid Wallace Loh and Maryland...

Of all the people trying to sell them on playoff expansion, it's Swarbrick. I came up with this great idea where we could stay independent and have better access to the playoffs!

DhJHtdOX4AAwak2.jpg

Of all the people trying to sell them on playoff expansion, it's Swarbrick. I came up with this great idea where we could stay independent and have better access to the playoffs!

DhJHtdOX4AAwak2.jpg
I wish the BigEast had never formed a football conference.

If one of Syracuse or Boston College could get their chit together I have advocated splitting BC/SU and UVa/VPI for the current divisions.

Put VPI in the Atlantic and one of SU/BC preferably us in the coastal and just make the crossovers protected. However Tech is needed for balance in the Coastal.

Rotating pods might work better than 3+5/5

FSU is always in the Atlantic
Miami is always in the Coastal

South- Clemson, GA Tech, Wake
East- UNC, Duke, NC State
North- UVA, SU, BC
West- VA Tech, Louisville, Pitt

Year 1
A- South and East
C- North and West

Year 2
A- East and North
C- West and South

Year 3
A- North and South
C- East and West

The 2 crossover games you prioritize with protected rivals. For example:

Clemson-NC State is protected
Clemson-FSU
GA Tech-Duke
Wake-NC State
Wake-Duke
UVA-UNC
UVA-VA Tech
SU-Pitt

Edit

Maybe it would be better as...

North- Pitt, SU, BC
South- Clemson, GA Tech, NC State
East- UVA, UNC, Duke
West- VA Tech, Louisville, Wake

And these pods are easy to keep should ND ever join:

North- ND, Pitt, SU, BC
South- Clemson, GA Tech, NC State, Wake
East- Miami, UVA, UNC, Duke
West- FSU, VA Tech, Louisville, Cincy

You protect:

ND - GA Tech
Clemson - FSU
GA Tech - Duke
NC State - UNC
Wake - UNC
Wake - Duke
Miami - FSU
Miami - VA Tech
UVA - VA Tech

Last edited:
With the staff Miami is putting together and their improved recruiting, not sure I want to play them every year. A wimp I am.

DhJHtdOX4AAwak2.jpg

Yeah, that was super funny. The side eyes in that meeting must have been pretty epic

With the staff Miami is putting together and their improved recruiting, not sure I want to play them every year. A wimp I am.

Yeah, we've been numb to the "Miami is back" storylines, but they are building a deathstar down there. USC and Miami are moving like teams who want to be a part of the semi-pro tier that the SEC is dreaming of.

Because you wanted SU to get rid of the football program?
At that time, SU football was the number 1 independent program. Wish we could've signed a deal with the YES network for football and LAX.

Yeah, we've been numb to the "Miami is back" storylines, but they are building a deathstar down there. USC and Miami are moving like teams who want to be a part of the semi-pro tier that the SEC is dreaming of.
And Clemson, FSU, NCST and VT are prime programs for flight to the SEC. The income spread is getting too wide. I expect to hear some of these programs being in contact with the SEC anytime now.

At that time, SU football was the number 1 independent program. Wish we could've signed a deal with the YES network for football and LAX.
At one point ever was Syracuse football the number one independent program.
I want to post the Billy Madison gif but you are trolling.