What merits playing time? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What merits playing time?

Howard played well today. He needs to play to his strengths running the offense, playing good defense and
Help rebounding. Shooting is not his strength right now. Fg% .211 3fg% .077. Ft% .522.
When Jim took him out after the missed jumper you could read his lips that is not your game repeated about 5 times

I'm confused...is he against all floaters? Or just from Howard? Because Edelin and Pace made a killing on floaters.[/QUOTE]
I'll take a 10 foot floater over a rushed 3 from the corner that comes mere seconds after missing...a floater.

I'm confused...is he against all floaters? Or just from Howard? Because Edelin and Pace made a killing on floaters.

When Howard makes even nearly the same percentage of flaters as Edelin or Pace, he'll be encouraged to take them. Now, its to the rim or nothing.

I'm confused...is he against all floaters? Or just from Howard? Because Edelin and Pace made a killing on floaters.

When Howard makes even nearly the same percentage of flaters as Edelin or Pace, he'll be encouraged to take them. Now, its to the rim or nothing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up, Jim.

Again, I was asking if Boeheim has had a shift in thinking and is anti-floater in general - there is a large anti-mid-range shot contingent out there, who are get to the basket or shoot a 3 to put it simply - and that's kind've how we play this year. Or is he simply anti-Howard floater because he doesn't make them (referring more to practice because he hasn't shot many in games).

It just infuriates me that we have good players who get buried on the bench simply because they are young. I understand that seniors tend to produce more and make smarter plays, however, on days like today where Cooney was non-existent, why not play him more when he is clearly playing well?
Mainly because Frank cannot play defense as well as Cooney.

Franklin got a standing O from the crowd in a first half time out! No one is mentioning this. Perhaps it wasn't apparent from the tv. The crowd was extremely supportive of him and his dishes to DC.
I was applauding him too - just don't think it had much affect as I was still in Florida. He couldn't have played any better I thought.

I mean...how can I say this...hmm...You realize we won BECAUSE of Howard's play right?
Gosh darn - I was so sure he only played about 15 minutes and 6 other SU players had as much or more to do with the win.

Sarcasm aside and I apologize for it since I can't seem to help it. I am thrilled how well he played offensively but his effort on "D" is sadly lacking. He needs to do what he is best at and that isn't shooting right now. I watch 'D" probably more than most and he doesn't put in the effort. I was screaming at the TV screen one time as a rebound hit the floor twice before it got to where he was standing and waiting for it. Did he have a nice part in the win? Absolutely! Did we win because of Howard? That is a very huge stretch.

Cooney
+ Defense
+ Has the ability and has already proven to get us back in games as a streak shooter.
+ Foul shooting
+ Leadership and intangibles. Played a ton of minutes and had a red shirt. He's seen plenty of college basketball and been part of some big games.
- When he's cold and not making up for it by getting in the lane, pulling up or finishing on the right side, etc, hurts our percentages to get points.
- Not known to get his teammates easy looks. All or nothing most of the time when the ball is in his hands.

Howard
+ Natural PG
+ Been a great passer since high school. Makes people around him better.
- Defense
- Shooting, scoring

It's a tradeoff. Cooney still deserves the bulk of the minutes and if he's shooting the ball well, he is more important in a tight game. But for Howard, he's clearly shown that he deserves run. I trust his ability to make plays and handle the ball as a PG. And even with the current limitations, I don't think he's completely lost on defense and he should learn what other underclassmen learn eventually: go as far inside as you can to get your shot and work your way out after you get your percentages up. Dribble all the way into the paint and either pass or take your shot. Roberson slowly learned this lesson. Even Cooney, Richardson and G drive when they get cold. The fact remains that JB is going to value the guy who plays better on the defensive end. But if Cooney is ice cold and his defense effort and whatever else he's doing right isn't enough to keep us in the game, play the kid. We need another guard for this reason alone. Sometimes you need a spark. He was a spark today.

I think others make Howard better to. Hes just not a offensive pg yet.

Without the luxury of balanced scoring we wouldn't have the luxury to play Howard much at all. Imagine playing him together with coleman for 20 minutes on a night coleman isn't scoring. It would be a mess. Your also benching Malachi by moving Gbinije to forward.

imo, Alot of Howards run is because Gbinije is one of the best drivers on the team, and it opens up shorter drives for Gbinije. Our inside defense is much more suspect then Howards by a long shot.

Last edited:
Mainly because Frank cannot play defense as well as Cooney.

There should be no doubt, Howard doesn't play limited minutes because he is young, he plays limited minutes because he is a FAR inferior basketball player to Cooney and Gbinije and this team has a very small margin for error.

So many people look at Cooney's 3 point % and seemingly nothing else, and judge his game based solely on that, which is ridiculous. This Georgia Tech game was a well played game, it just wasn't a well played offensive game. Defense is HALF the game, and Cooney and Gbinije played about as well on defense as it is possible to play. They won this game. If Howard scored 30 points offensively that would have made him about the equal on offense of what Cooney did on defense . . . he scored zero. The minutes were distributed properly and because they were distributed properly, we won.

It just infuriates me that we have good players who get buried on the bench simply because they are young. I understand that seniors tend to produce more and make smarter plays, however, on days like today where Cooney was non-existent, why not play him more when he is clearly playing well?
I guess the defensive side of the court doesn't matter much to you. Howard is not there yet on the defensive side of the court. We all saw him just stand there and let a ND player get a rebound and cause a foul for a teammate. I like the kid but he plays about the right amount of minutes

Cooney was 3-12 from the field and 1-5 from 3. Howard had 6 assists in 14 minutes. Just saying, that 1 "bad" shot in the grand scheme was nothing. I am a big fan of JB, not a fan of him pulling guys simply because they are young.

Well Frank had 14 minutes which might be a season high, and Cooney had 34 which might be a season low so I would say you got your wish.

I'm not sure how you can be mad at coach for leaving Cooney in a game though. The guy has been en fuego over the past few. Look at Mali today - he scored zero in the first half but in the last 6 minutes he absolutely won us the game. Frank would have probably been in the game to replace MR, not Cooney in that stretch (moving Mike G to SF), so we probably would have lost the game if Frank got more minutes even though he was great today.

Well Frank had 14 minutes which might be a season high, and Cooney had 34 which might be a season low so I would say you got your wish.

I'm not sure how you can be mad at coach for leaving Cooney in a game though. The guy has been en fuego over the past few. Look at Mali today - he scored zero in the first half but in the last 6 minutes he absolutely won us the game. Frank would have probably been in the game to replace MR, not Cooney in that stretch (moving Mike G to SF), so we probably would have lost the game if Frank got more minutes even though he was great today.

I think FH is good for giving TC and G a rest. It look like in the middle of the second half FH gave TC a five minute rest. So we had FH and G. And then G got a rest at you had FH and TC. And then when the game entered crunch time you had TC and G. I thought it was a good rotation because TC and G could player harder at the end with some rest. It's hard to second guess the catch when he wins.

He is not starting next year and neither is Chewy.

My biggest complaint about the Frank Howard situation is the way JB has a double standard. I know many people don't respond well being yelled at and being pulled for minor mistakes that others do. Most of the time JB doesn't even bat an eye at them. I'm of the opinion to letting guys like Howard go out and create, he just has an instinct and vision that no one else on this team has.

Quite honestly, I'd be a bit concerned if I had your fan club from that post. ;)
image.jpg

Funny you are.

If Howard scored 30 points offensively that would have made him about the equal on offense of what Cooney did on defense . . . he scored zero. The minutes were distributed properly and because they were distributed properly, we won.

Say what? That's the weirdest made-up stat I've seen in a long time. Exaggerating for effect, right?

Is it being a 5th year senior or being productive within the boundaries of the court? I am struggling with the answer to this question. Jim, play freaking Franklin Howard! Down 4, he gets an assist and then gets to the line. Throughout the game he was our best playmaker. This is not rocket science!

Pretty simple. Right now TC and G are playing some of the best defense at the top of the zone that we've seen in years. They're not coming out at crunch time.

Cooney
+ Defense
+ Has the ability and has already proven to get us back in games as a streak shooter.
+ Foul shooting
+ Leadership and intangibles. Played a ton of minutes and had a red shirt. He's seen plenty of college basketball and been part of some big games.
- When he's cold and not making up for it by getting in the lane, pulling up or finishing on the right side, etc, hurts our percentages to get points.
- Not known to get his teammates easy looks. All or nothing most of the time when the ball is in his hands.

Howard
+ Natural PG
+ Been a great passer since high school. Makes people around him better.
- Defense
- Shooting, scoring

It's a tradeoff. Cooney still deserves the bulk of the minutes and if he's shooting the ball well, he is more important in a tight game. But for Howard, he's clearly shown that he deserves run. I trust his ability to make plays and handle the ball as a PG. And even with the current limitations, I don't think he's completely lost on defense and he should learn what other underclassmen learn eventually: go as far inside as you can to get your shot and work your way out after you get your percentages up. Dribble all the way into the paint and either pass or take your shot. Roberson slowly learned this lesson. Even Cooney, Richardson and G drive when they get cold. The fact remains that JB is going to value the guy who plays better on the defensive end. But if Cooney is ice cold and his defense effort and whatever else he's doing right isn't enough to keep us in the game, play the kid. We need another guard for this reason alone. Sometimes you need a spark. He was a spark today.
All that and FH has to show he is earning his minutes when he steps on the court. If he contributes he will play minutes. Just like DC. So far FH is 1-14 from the field in ACC play. No matter how good he is in other facets of his play, if he isn't able to put the ball in the basket, he won't play many minutes. You can't have a guard who can't score.

Pretty simple. Right now TC and G are playing some of the best defense at the top of the zone that we've seen in years. They're not coming out at crunch time.
They were exceptionally good yesterday, but Triche and MCW absolutely killed it up top game after game, and remain the gold standard for how to play JB's zone. If Cooney and Gbinije can find that level of consistency, this team could make a nice run in March. And you're right, they will be on the court in crunch time, and not Howard, just as they should be.

Last edited:
seems to me any smart coach would look down the road a bit and try to develop the younger talent in game situations. especially in blowouts. not JB's style.

Say what? That's the weirdest made-up stat I've seen in a long time. Exaggerating for effect, right?
Exaggerating about as much as your apparent exaggerated missing of the point :noidea:

seems to me any smart coach would look down the road a bit and try to develop the younger talent in game situations. especially in blowouts. not JB's style.
ergo, JB isn't a smart coach :)

All that and FH has to show he is earning his minutes when he steps on the court. If he contributes he will play minutes. Just like DC. So far FH is 1-14 from the field in ACC play. No matter how good he is in other facets of his play, if he isn't able to put the ball in the basket, he won't play many minutes. You can't have a guard who can't score.
But you can have a guard that makes a handful of assists.

Jimmy gave a young point guard the whole season to develop. How did that work out??? You think a few minutes here an there is developing a player. It's called practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom