What merits playing time? | Syracusefan.com

What merits playing time?

Cuse House

All American
Is it being a 5th year senior or being productive within the boundaries of the court? I am struggling with the answer to this question. Jim, play freaking Franklin Howard! Down 4, he gets an assist and then gets to the line. Throughout the game he was our best playmaker. This is not rocket science!

Is it being a 5th year senior or being productive within the boundaries of the court? I am struggling with the answer to this question. Jim, play freaking Franklin Howard! Down 4, he gets an assist and then gets to the line. Throughout the game he was our best playmaker. This is not rocket science!

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side if you think Howard's getting minutes in the waning moments of a close game. He got good run today and is doing well as our third guard.

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side if you think Howard's getting minutes in the waning moments of a close game. He got good run today and is doing well as our third guard.
It's not about the end of the game, it is being pulled for a shot that wasn't that bad or whatever other crap he gets pulled for. Why do you believe in the context of TODAY's game that he should have not played more?

6 assists. Best playmaker on offense...because he's our only PG. Had a few hockey assists too.

Said it before and again and again...he's going to be really good.
It just infuriates me that we have good players who get buried on the bench simply because they are young. I understand that seniors tend to produce more and make smarter plays, however, on days like today where Cooney was non-existent, why not play him more when he is clearly playing well?

I love Howard's potential and what he showed today with creating for his teammates. But he has to get in a gym and develop a consistent jumper. Not gonna happen this year but he should be ready next year.

I'll take a 10 foot floater over a rushed 3 from the corner that comes mere seconds after missing...a floater.

I'm confused...is he against all floaters? Or just from Howard? Because Edelin and Pace made a killing on floaters.
Has Howard made a floater?
Cooney absolutely shot poorly, but that happens. Even shooting poorly, he commands attention and teams do not double off of him, which helps open up the lane.
Howard played great. It will be great for SU if he could get 15-20 minutes a game and help SU out.

If DC gets more consistent, we will be hard to beat for most teams left on the schedule.

I'll take a 10 foot floater over a rushed 3 from the corner that comes mere seconds after missing...a floater.

I'm confused...is he against all floaters? Or just from Howard? Because Edelin and Pace made a killing on floaters.

Not sure. I didn't hear Boeheim say this but he may have been sarcastic. Also could have been serious about it. Thought it was worth posting the tweet though.

Cooney was 3-12 from the field and 1-5 from 3. Howard had 6 assists in 14 minutes. Just saying, that 1 "bad" shot in the grand scheme was nothing. I am a big fan of JB, not a fan of him pulling guys simply because they are young.
How about being pulled for doing exactly what the coach tells you not to do? In the grand scheme of things this was a one possession game. One more bad play by Howard and we may have lost. That is the grand scheme of things right there.

Last edited:
Has Howard made a floater?
Cooney absolutely shot poorly, but that happens. Even shooting poorly, he commands attention and teams do not double off of him, which helps open up the lane.
Howard played great. It will be great for SU if he could get 15-20 minutes a game and help SU out.

If DC gets more consistent, we will be hard to beat for most teams left on the schedule.

Howard really hasn't taken many shots of any kind, let alone floaters. But yeah, if it's not a good shot for him that's one thing. That's why I asked...is that what Boeheim meant, or has he had some kind of thought change on the floater in general not being a good shot(it's a tough shot, but in the past we had some guys that were really good at it).

How about being pulled for doing exactly what the coach tells you not to do? In the grand scheme of things this was a one possession game. One more bad play by Howard and we may have lost. That is the grand scheme of things right there.

Fair. Maybe next time he should just hold the ball and let the shot clock run completely to zero :).

Kidding of course. But how funny would that be?

I mean...how can I say this...hmm...You realize we won BECAUSE of Howard's play right?

Talk about selective watching. We don't have the chance to win if he doesn't play that well in the first half. I bet he had the highest plus/minus. Although that stat is ehh, I think it holds merit in close games.

He has potential as a PG play maker and has a role to play. Which at this stage isn't taking shots he can't make. It's hard to keep a guy who can't score on the floor and have a guy who is not a good FT shooter have the ball in his hands at the end of a close game. Work on that shot "young fella".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom