What the ACCt will look like in 2014 | Syracusefan.com

What the ACCt will look like in 2014

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Doing the same thing I did with the BET 2014 projection, I added Pitt and SU and used RPI rankings to seed the teams. The ACC will have to add a day to their tourney, and adopt a "double-bye" system to make the tourney work.

Day 1: Wednesday
11. Clemson vs 14. Boston College
12. Wake Forest vs. 13. GaTech

Day 2: Thursday
5. NC State vs Wake/GaTech winner
8. Pitt vs 9. Maryland
6. Virginia vs Clemson/BC winner
7. Miami vs 10. VaTech

Day 3: Friday
1. Syracuse vs. Pitt/Maryland winner
4. FSU vs NCSt/Wake/GaTech winner
2. UNC vs Miami/VaTech winner
3. Duke vs UVa/Clemson/BC winner

Day 4: Saturday
Semifinals

Day 5: Sunday
Championship

Looks a little more attractive to me, despite being located in Greensboro every other year.

Wasnt there an article posted on here recently about the tourney being moved on a rotation to NYC as one of the locations? I know Swofford mentioned it when we originally joined but I thought the new article was more concrete.

Once we join the Acc/Tiers

Cuse, Duke, Unc The powers

Pitt, FSU, Virginia Contenders

NC state, Maryland Programs on the rise

Va tech, Miami depends on the year

BC, Wake, Ga tech, Clemson Dumpster fire, Gaurantee wins

Overall not bad, better at the top with some threats

But really looking forward to beating up on those bottom teams

Judging by the current strength of the participants (which is always subject to change obviously) that's still an ugly tournament. The Thursday round looks like current Big East Tuesday; Duke/UVA would be a decent game on Friday, the rest of that day shapes up to be two ass-beatings and like a 5 seed vs. a bubble team (about on par with Louisville vs. Seton Hall).

Major issue.

If they play two games Wednesday night then what do they do Thursday? You cannot have one of those teams play a morning session the next day. I think a better option would be the following:

Wednesday Night
7pm 3 vs 14
9:30pm 4 vs 13

Thursday
12pm 8 vs 9
2:30pm 5 vs 12
7pm 7 vs 10
9:30pm 6 vs 11

Friday
12pm 1 vs 8/9
2:30pm 4/13 vs 5/12
7pm 2 vs 7/10
9:30pm 3/14 vs 6/11

Saturday
1pm 1/8/9 vs 4/13/5/12
3:30pm 2/7/10 vs 3/14/6/11

Sunday
3pm Champ game

This format makes the most sense for rest. So seeds 3, 4, 13 and 14 need to win 4 games in 5 days to win a title. Seeds 5-12 need 4 games in 4 days. The first two seeds need only 3 games in 3 days.

Major issue.

If they play two games Wednesday night then what do they do Thursday? You cannot have one of those teams play a morning session the next day. I think a better option would be the following:

Wednesday Night
7pm 3 vs 14
9:30pm 4 vs 13

Thursday
12pm 8 vs 9
2:30pm 5 vs 12
7pm 7 vs 10
9:30pm 6 vs 11

Friday
12pm 1 vs 8/9
2:30pm 4/13 vs 5/12
7pm 2 vs 7/10
9:30pm 3/14 vs 6/11

Saturday
1pm 1/8/9 vs 4/13/5/12
3:30pm 2/7/10 vs 3/14/6/11

Sunday
3pm Champ game

This format makes the most sense for rest. So seeds 3, 4, 13 and 14 need to win 4 games in 5 days to win a title. Seeds 5-12 need 4 games in 4 days. The first two seeds need only 3 games in 3 days.
You could do it that way, but being a 3 or 4 seed is a disadvantage because you have to arrive a couple of days earlier.

You just make the games on the first day afternoon sessions if you have issues with the teams playing an afternoon game the next day.

FWIW, the old ACC and BET formats use to have the format where the 8/9 games were played on the first night, and the winner of that game played at noon the next day vs the #1 seed.

The ACC Tourney at MSG talk looks more and more like it was blown smoke every day. Unless they add UConn and ND to the conference, I don't see it happening. Just not enough gravitational pull outside of North Carolina to move the tourney north of the Mason-Dixon. Plus if they don't want to have it there every year, MSG is probably not inclined to have a vacant building during championship week in the off years. I'll give it a 10% chance of ever happening.

They don't have to adopt a double bye

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

They don't have to adopt a double bye

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
True, but if they don't utilize the double bye system the either have to only invite the top 12 teams, or the top teams will have to play 4 games to win the tourney. I think they will most likely go the double bye route.

True, but if they don't utilize the double bye system the either have to only invite the top 12 teams, or the top teams will have to play 4 games to win the tourney. I think they will most likely go the double bye route.

If I am a 3 seed I rather play the 14 seed on Wednesday rather than not play a game till Friday. You will be rusty by then. Which is why some BE coaches want to go to 1 vs 16 on Tuesday vs the double bye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom