What will it take to beat Clemson? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What will it take to beat Clemson?

Both have been unavailable off and on for weeks. I don't think it's any guarantee either will be available vs Clemson
Carey is

Hima and Carey will only see action in an emergency.
If that is the case we will lose. Need to play them early as Clemson is going to go right after Brown

If that is the case we will lose. Need to play them early as Clemson is going to go right after Brown
That's silly. Red may try to steal few minutes with them in the first half, but they will see little time unless Brown gets in early foul trouble. He's becoming adept at pacing himself and staying on the floor, and I expect he'll be able to do so tonight.

Last edited:
Calling on General and some of you other high IQ bball analysts to lay out a game plan.
IMG_0065.gif

That's silly. Red may try to steal few minutes with them in the first half, as he did with Hima against Louisville, but they will see little time unless Brown gets in early foul trouble. He's becoming adept at pacing himself and staying on the floor, and I expect he'll be able to do so tonight.

Backup center will be spot minutes at best.

The bigger issue is playing more efficiently on offense unlike last time we played Clemson. We have been better on O lately.

32 FGAs bw Judah and JJ and 30 points last game against Clemson.

As a team, 39% FG, 30% three last game.

We lost boards 41-24, but won TOs 21-8.

The bigger issue is playing more efficiently on offense unlike last time we played Clemson. We have been better on O lately.

They were terrible offensively in the first game. I still don't know how they actually got back in it with a chance to win late. They almost have to be more efficient this time, and they will need to again generate a lot of their offense off turnovers.

Not to mention the rebound discrepancy was mostly due to our poor shooting. They shot 60 pct and we shot 39 and offensive rebounds were 8 to 7 in our favor. Turn them over and make our shots and it’s a different game( easier said than done of course). They play a bigger lineup so it was a solid strategy just have to play better on offense and force them into tougher shots

Not to mention the rebound discrepancy was mostly due to our poor shooting. They shot 60 pct and we shot 39 and offensive rebounds were 8 to 7 in our favor. Turn them over and make our shots and it’s a different game( easier said than done of course). They play a bigger lineup so it was a solid strategy just have to play better on offense and force them into tougher shots
Fair, but they still had 7 offensive rebounds on 20 missed shots compared to just 8 offensive rebounds on 39 missed shots for us. Pretty sure 2 of them turned into Girard 3's.

Clemson's TO's were crazy last game. If I recall correctly a number were just them screwing up. We need to rebound somehow.

Don't get into foul trouble early (Maliq) but try to get them into foul trouble early (Hall). Ideally we have a sizzling shooting day (55, 40, 75%+), but imagine we will know early how that will go (i.e. Bell). Other than that, try to keep it within 8 on the glass and try to take advantage of mismatches (JJ/Judah/Q isolated with Joe) when it makes sense.

Clemson's TO's were crazy last game. If I recall correctly a number were just them screwing up. We need to rebound somehow.

It’s not an anomaly for them this year though and has in general played a role in why they are 20-9 and not 23-6 for example. Not so much in overall number but just in the careless category and we are tops in the ACC in forcing them.

It’s not an anomaly for them this year though and has in general played a role in why they are 20-9 and not 23-6 for example. Not so much in overall number but just in the careless category and we are tops in the ACC in forcing them.
They have lost 3 conference games by one point and another OT game by 3. They are completely opposite to us in the “luck” category according to KenPom.

They were terrible offensively in the first game. I still don't know how they actually got back in it with a chance to win late. They almost have to be more efficient this time, and they will need to again generate a lot of their offense off turnovers.
Our offense looks completely different since that time.

The isolation plays are actually part of something bigger and better now... Not just a guy going one on one while everybody else watches.

Having a guy that can do something useful with the ball at the three point line like Brown is a huge benefit as well, as Sherman20 broke down a few days ago.

I think we'll be ok on offense, but defense and rebounding is key. Fortunately, all the guys seem to be more committed and effective rebounding lately. Especially Bell makes a difference here.

They have lost 3 conference games by one point and another OT game by 3. They are completely opposite to us in the “luck” category according to KenPom.

They’ve been the better team all year hands down. Right now we are playing the closest to that level vs a team that’s been at it all year and is a much older team. They don’t turn it over a lot and don’t turn opponents over much. Their biggest flaws have been consistency from 3, depth and then just silly turnovers in their losses.

The true difference between them and us besides the size and rebounding has been Tempo. They are 246th in Ken Pom AdjT where we are 35. We have to make them uncomfortable and speed them up playing our game but also rebound and be physical.

This game will be a true upset if we win even with how we are playing now. I expect we probably are going to come up a bit short but hope I’m wrong

These things...

1) PJ Hall cannot get the ball near the basket as he will prob easily score on Maliq. Ball denial by Maliq is key. Hopefully he can get some weak side help without Sheffelin getting open.

2) Sheffelin as well, whoever guards him needs to make sure he cannot get the scrappy baskets and fill the void that may be left by our defense doing a good job against Hall.

3) Whoever guards Girard needs to make sure he's prepared for screens. Our switching on screens set up for Girard is key. They'll try to backdoor/pick-n-roll on those.

Limit Clemson 2nd chance shots!

Its enough for the win but not the NET. . . . . . . . . . . . . lol
At least in this case, we won't go backwards for "Just getting the win" since we are expected to lose by the metrics.

These things...

1) PJ Hall cannot get the ball near the basket as he will prob easily score on Maliq. Ball denial by Maliq is key. Hopefully he can get some weak side help without Sheffelin getting open.

2) Sheffelin as well, whoever guards him needs to make sure he cannot get the scrappy baskets and fill the void that may be left by our defense doing a good job against Hall.

3) Whoever guards Girard needs to make sure he's prepared for screens. Our switching on screens set up for Girard is key. They'll try to backdoor/pick-n-roll on those.

Limit Clemson 2nd chance shots!

Re points one and two, agreed. Maliq needs to push him off his spot before he gets set. And the help has to be there. We need to be strong on our rotations, assuming Red maybe will mix up the doubles (on catch, on dribble, etc). If Maliq is left alone and Hall catches, Maliq is going to have to try to tip the ball away once he brings it down.

Re point three - very worried about this. You have to be locked in, communicative, and fight like hell. And I’m not super confident that our guys on the perimeter will be able to do this consistently.

We crushed them in turnovers last game. I know that’s our thing as a team, but they’re definitely going to be prepared more for it this game.

I just said the same before I posted. We will not see favorable officiating in Clemson country.
Deep below the Mason-Dixon. 100% gonna get jobbed. This back water league won't allow it. Bunch of water heads down there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom