What worries me the most... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What worries me the most...

1. we got no fans in the dome anyways, ratings don’t matter right now, it will bounce back with a new dome experience and some wins next year
2. No one will remember this without the asterisk of the pandemic and weird circumstances
3. We’ve put together a nice class, they understand the weird circumstances better than fans do and recruiting is based on relationships as well as wins
4. If you want to hold the team to the same expectations you had pre-Covid, go for it but I think you’ll see it won’t matter
Problem is everyone else has a better class.

Every year. And I keep reading, “ this is one of the better classes we ever had”, every year. We always rank near the bottom in recruiting in the ACC. Always
That's because you are looking at it the wrong way. When people say that, they are comparing it to classes "We" had the last 20 years. If we can some how get 2 winning seasons in a row then maybe we can get in the middle of the pack in ACC recruiting.

You can find big guys almost anywhere - I'm sure there are plenty in Upstate New York. What you need for OL is 1) a strength & conditioning coach, and 2) an OL coach who can teach technique. Those two will go a long way toward fixing your offensive woes.

Syracuse will need to recruit wide receivers and defensive backs, however - you can't coach speed and agility.

Every year. And I keep reading, “ this is one of the better classes we ever had”, every year. We always rank near the bottom in recruiting in the ACC. Always
I've been critical of the recruiting in previous years, but watching the videos feel more bullish about this class. My only concern in this class is OL, as 4 of our 5 OL are 260 or below. We need some men there. I do think Kalan Ellis is the most underrated recruit of this class-Very good agility for his size.

That's because you are looking at it the wrong way. When people say that, they are comparing it to classes "We" had the last 20 years. If we can some how get 2 winning seasons in a row then maybe we can get in the middle of the pack in ACC recruiting.
We had two in a row 2012 (8-5) and 2013 (7-6).

Morgan’s play in his first start, as a true frosh, can give us some hope. QB is the most important position, but we also need solid lines to run the ball and defend the run.
Will Dino and staff be aggressive in the transfer market? We aren’t going to get back to back winning seasons unless White lands a NT and a safety and Gilbert adds at least one OT and a weapon or two for his offense.
I think the staff probably look everywhere for players, including JUCOs and transfers. Why anyone assumes they are not puzzles me.

We had two in a row 2012 (8-5) and 2013 (7-6).
lol. Wasnt there a coaching change and half of our staff was replaced by D3 coaches with no northeast ties? You dont think that kills the recruiting flow?. One expample, there was 5 or 6 highly regarded prospects that were gonna commit to SU if Marrone was still there.

lol. Wasnt there a coaching change and half of our staff was replaced by D3 coaches with no northeast ties? You dont think that kills the recruiting flow?. One expample, there was 5 or 6 highly regarded prospects that were gonna commit to SU if Marrone was still there.

I know he didn't have gaudy numbers at Miami but it would have been nice to see Gus Edwards playing for Syracuse.

I will remind you that staff recruited Dungey, Erv Phillips, Steve Ishmael, Moe Neal (yeah, he was Shafers), Brisley Estime, James McGloster, Chris Slayton, Zaire Franklin, Jamal Custis, Denzel Ward, Aaron Roberts, Sterling Hofrichter, Evan Adams, Dontae Strickland and others. Without many of these we don't go 10-3 in 2018.

there was 5 or 6 highly regarded prospects that were gonna commit to SU if Marrone was still there.
1605040597061.png

I will remind you that staff recruited Dungey, Erv Phillips, Steve Ishmael, Moe Neal (yeah, he was Shafers), Brisley Estime, James McGloster, Chris Slayton, Zaire Franklin, Jamal Custis, Denzel Ward, Aaron Roberts, Sterling Hofrichter, Evan Adams, Dontae Strickland and others. Without many of these we don't go 10-3 in 2018.
What? You taking a different path. That's a development debate, not recruiting. Two different skill sets. Sales pitch , contacts and relationships influences your ability to recruit high ranked kids. Part of being a saleman is pitching selling a winning product. I thought that's what we were talking about? 2013 class was ranked 74th

I’m not saying it’s improving enough to compete with the top to win the ACC. I’m saying it’s good enough to give us a chance at a bowl year in and year out.

I know some will snicker at that - but I think if not for this weird rash of injuries at OL and not having *anything* behind TD - we had enough to get to 6 wins last year and this year. And that’s what we need to build towards something more.

What? You taking a different path. That's a development debate, not recruiting. Two different skill sets. Sales pitch , contacts and relationships influences your ability to recruit high ranked kids. Part of being a saleman is pitching selling a winning product. I thought that's what we were talking about? 2013 class was ranked 74th
Well, that's parsing things out. Shafer never had a chance to develop any of them. Part of recruiting is judging talent.
I would take Tim Lester over most of what followed him.

Nobody wants to give Shafer any credit for anything and I think that is bogus. So far, Dino's development record is not so hot and recruiting isn't either. Same old, same old.

Well, that's parsing things out. Shafer never had a chance to develop any of them. Part of recruiting is judging talent.

Nobody wants to give Shafer any credit for anything and I think that is bogus. So far, Dino's development record is not so hot and recruiting isn't either. Same old, same old.
Could definitely use Dungey, Ish, and Slayton this year.

You could come up with a similar list of Dino’s recruits. Some of which will end up drafted higher than any of Shafer’s. Both had misses too. A really high number of guys never even made it to campus under SS.

This is what I think DB should do. Totally commit to the new transfer rule and aggressively go after no.2's and 3's at the factory schools with 40-50% of the available scholarships. The remaining scholarships go to guys that want to be at Syracuse for 5 years and have the understanding that they may or may not see PT depending on how they develop, those would be the continuity of program guys. This would allow the program to leapfrog without having hard feelings because of perceived slights.

Im a shafer guy. I had a great relationship with him and wish him the very best. With that said he wasnt a HC. I thought we were talking about recruiting momentum after a couple years of winning seasons. Marrone never got a chance to reel in high ranked classes because he left when he was starting to get hot.

Im a shafer guy. I had a great relationship with him and wish him the very best. With that said he wasnt a HC. I thought we were talking about recruiting momentum after a couple years of winning seasons. Marrone never got a chance to reel in high ranked classes because he left when he was starting to get hot.
Hot? Everyone graduated. He left the cupboard bare and Shafer had to scramble to put together a class. GRobb had better stars than DM.

The class that fell apart the year Marrone left was by far going to be his best. Made sense. I could go back and look but wasn't Gus Edwards one?

Marrone was by far the best at recruiting kids for his system or vision of the program and yeah he used the 7-8 really good kids that GROB recruited very well as well. GROB would recruit 5-6 good players and 15 D2 kids

That said, you change coaches you will always have kids that don't sign and I get it

Last edited:
I’m not saying it’s improving enough to compete with the top to win the ACC. I’m saying it’s good enough to give us a chance at a bowl year in and year out.

I know some will snicker at that - but I think if not for this weird rash of injuries at OL and not having *anything* behind TD - we had enough to get to 6 wins last year and this year. And that’s what we need to build towards something more.
I agree . I wish we would had went harder for transfers in Dino's first two years. We wouldnt have had to rely on Mahoney and Culpepper. Would have had a reliable back up and some defensive transfers and we could have got to 6 wins in 2016 and 17.

Last edited:
You could come up with a similar list of Dino’s recruits. Some of which will end up drafted higher than any of Shafer’s. Both had misses too. A really high number of guys never even made it to campus under SS.
Don't think you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom