What's the worst loss in your time as an SU fan? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What's the worst loss in your time as an SU fan?

Tie..and marsh has it right. Indiana. I didn't sleep that night. 2. Arkansas... the pain was actually worse than Indiana. It was honestly like torture. 3. Ill. we led at the half and had our chances. i can still see that missed free throw and their rebound.

I was a mess for 2 months after the Indiana game. Literally a puddle. Arkansas I was in the fetal position for at least 3 hours after the game was over staring at the TV. Illinois was on easter sunday and Macus Liberty was the one who grabbed that rebound. I remember leaving my parents house and driving around the neighborhood because I was so upset.

The reason why these three are the top 3 (over Rhode Island, Vermont, etc) are because obviously Indiana we win the title. Arkansas we had a path to the FF and I think could have won it and Illinois we would have won it for sure. Beat Michigan and then The Hall who we owned at that time.

I dont have a problem with Kentucky at all and that wasnt even in my top 10. We had ZERO business being in that game to begin with and were playing with all house money. Kentucky was 100X better than we were and I was just happy we didnt lose by 25. I knew we had no chance that game to win and was just thrilled we were back in the title game.

I was a mess for 2 months after the Indiana game. Literally a puddle. Arkansas I was in the fetal position for at least 3 hours after the game was over staring at the TV. Illinois was on easter sunday and Macus Liberty was the one who grabbed that rebound. I remember leaving my parents house and driving around the neighborhood because I was so upset.

The reason why these three are the top 3 (over Rhode Island, Vermont, etc) are because obviously Indiana we win the title. Arkansas we had a path to the FF and I think could have won it and Illinois we would have won it for sure. Beat Michigan and then The Hall who we owned at that time.

I dont have a problem with Kentucky at all and that wasnt even in my top 10. We had ZERO business being in that game to begin with and were playing with all house money. Kentucky was 100X better than we were and I was just happy we didnt lose by 25. I knew we had no chance that game to win and was just thrilled we were back in the title game.
I was so calm during that entire Kentucky game that you would have thought the game didn't count. Having said that, if Sims doesn't get hurt, I think we win.

Reactions: MGP

Butler is a similar game as the first 3. We win that game we win the title I think. Or at the very least make the finals, even without Arinze.

I was so calm during that entire Kentucky game that you would have thought the game didn't count. Having said that, if Sims doesn't get hurt, I think we win.

I don't know if that would have been the case. We caught a lot of breaks in that game, including the alley-oop that should have been offensive goaltending but was called a 3.

That being said, might have been the best coaching job JB has ever had, getting that team to the national finals.

oh my... 1 thing that is never talked about is look at that defense after the game was tied! that is incredibly awful aka there was NO defense at all. we literally gave them the ball and said please miss.

Butler is a similar game as the first 3. We win that game we win the title I think. Or at the very least make the finals, even without Arinze.

Yea I agree. Arinze getting hurt killed the mojo but we would have at least went to the final four with that win as we would have wiped the floor with KState

and am i crazy here, it was clearly moten who called the TO right?

I don't know if that would have been the case. We caught a lot of breaks in that game, including the alley-oop that should have been offensive goaltending but was called a 3.

That being said, might have been the best coaching job JB has ever had, getting that team to the national finals.
yeah and a number of calls went Kentucky's way. We were down 2 when Sims got hurt. he goes out and the Kentucky lead balloons to double figures in two minutes. He comes back in and 8 minutes later, we are down two again.

oh my... 1 thing that is never talked about is look at that defense after the game was tied! that is incredibly awful aka there was NO defense at all. we literally gave them the ball and said please miss.

Ugh thats like making me watch a video of my wife being raped by Patrick Ewing

Indiana - I was a high school sophomore and just identifying Cuse as a probable destination for college because one my best friend's brother went there. Was so excited before the game and was talking trash at a friend that went to high school with me that had moved from Indiana when we were in the 4th grade. Never let me live that down. One of the life experiences that taught me not to talk smack.

MV5BMTc3NTM4NTMwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM1Mjg4NA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg
large_walkingoutontothefield.JPG

Butler, Seton Hall and Vermont.

1. Indiana.... So close...
2. Losing Carmelo... We could have repeated..

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Penn. Whenever I talk about gut-punch losses, my parents are quick to one-up me with that one: we win our way to Greensboro in 1979 after Penn upsets North Carolina (#1) and St. John's upsets Duke (#2). Cake-walk to the Final Four? No. Loss to an Ivy and a long and sad drive back from Greensboro.

Iowa and Charlotte also are spoken of in hushed tones.

For me:
1. Vermont
2. Butler
3. Arkansas
4. UMass
5. Ohio State

Was too young for Indiana or Richmond to bother me as much, but I remember everyone else being crushed by those (and Navy and Rhode Island).

Last edited:
Vermont, I couldn't move off my couch for like 3 hrs, I was so upset. Didn't watch another tournament game till the final four.

The Wedding Singer was on TBS afterward. I couldn't move. Just miserable. Ruined Spring Break of my senior year.

Indiana...nothing even remotely close to that one

Ha... there is a local sports afternoon guy in atlanta (mike bell) who does a skit about how friendly southerners calling in are vs NY'ers on the air. And it always includes the southern gentlemen ending the call "ill hang up and listen" vs the NY'er (where Bell is from) gets into an argument with the host.

Here is my million dollar question... where did you hear that phrase? The north or the south?
I first heard it while living in the North, but it was a couple of national sports talk shows. A lot of guys did it so I don't think it was just relegated to southerners. I've listened to some local sports talk since here since moving to Knoxville. They are definitely not all gentlemen, that's for sure. Clueless and obnoxious are the two words I'd use for most of them.

Not to repeat everyone else, ...but,... Indiana.
it wasn't just losing the game, it was having to hear all the IU fans walking back from the superdome, one , in particular felt the need to tell me ( in an indiana redneck voice)"2 things that don't last in this world: dogs that chase cars and teams that don't make their free throws"

Arkansas is second

Indiana 1987. We led almost the whole game and the stakes were enormous.

Georgetown 1979. We lost the Manley winning streak I was so proud of to a scrub program and their arrogant coach just rubbed salt into the open wound.

Richmond 1991 (?). We had a great team that year but some players were sick for the game and the Spiders played great. I was at Cole Field House to watch in person. The ride back was really bad. No matter what radio station we tuned into, they all wanted to talk about the Richmond win over Syracuse. Ughhhh.

Worcester circa 2005. SU didn't have a great team but was a lot better than Vermont. The Catamounts? had a lot of fans there, and of course the neutrals all rooted for them as well. I had 3 or 4 8 year old Vermont fans screaming at me late in the game "Syracuse sucks!". It was pretty sickening.

BC 1981?. We had a big lead on the Eagles in the BET. Believe the game was played in Hartford. Again, it wasn't a great SU team but the meltdown to get the loss was an epic one and Froggy poured gas on the fire with a couple of bizarre calls. Just hated losing to a bad BC team.

Regarding the Arkansas game...

Which would have been worse? The way things actually played out, with Thurman only making 1-of-2 free throws, so that we got overtime?

Or would it have been worse if he'd just made both, taking away the overtime period and any further chance to get the win? Basically - did going to overtime just extend your misery for that game? In retrospect, would you have preferred they just end it and put us out of our misery following that technical?

I think if we beat Arkansas we were 50/50 at best to beat Memphis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom