Whats this team's ceiling? | Syracusefan.com

Whats this team's ceiling?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
ive seen some people say on here "if kaleb or roberson can score more we can be a tournament team". my expectations are a little higher than that if those guys start to score more consistently. i think the team now is good enough to make it, probably close to the bubble but still get in. if kaleb and/or roberson improve offensively then i dont think making the 2nd weekend is out of the question.

do you think the potential is there for this team to go on a uconn/butler type of cinderella run in march? or even if everything breaks right we're still not that good? i guarantee 1 year ago today uconn fans werent thinking national championship.

ive seen some people say on here "if kaleb or roberson can score more we can be a tournament team". my expectations are a little higher than that if those guys start to score more consistently. i think the team now is good enough to make it, probably close to the bubble but still get in. if kaleb and/or roberson improve offensively then i dont think making the 2nd weekend is out of the question.

do you think the potential is there for this team to go on a uconn/butler type of cinderella run in march? or even if everything breaks right we're still not that good? i guarantee 1 year ago today uconn fans werent thinking national championship.

Not being banned from post season play. Otherwise it doesnt matter unfortunately

The tournament is just such a crazy crapshoot, I think a better way to look at it is what is our ceiling is terms of NCAA seeding (which is a more accurate reflection of how strong of a team we are over an entire season).

I think our realistic "ceiling" is a 5/6 seed in the tourney.

SU can win any game in which Roc stays out of foul trouble and C&G shoot the three ball like they have been, and that includes winning 2 games per weekend for three weekends straight

This is where I am at! If Rak, Cooney and G play well and the other guys toe the line we can beat anyone any given night, no one is that great this year. Its hard to figure us going 6 games in the tourney without Rak getting into foul trouble in at least one however.

The tournament is just such a crazy crapshoot, I think a better way to look at it is what is our ceiling is terms of NCAA seeding (which is a more accurate reflection of how strong of a team we are over an entire season).

I actually think we can do better even adsorbing a few more losses. Remember Duke already has 2 losses as does Lville beating these teams head to head, finishing ahead of them in conference and having a good ACCT would mean a protected seed. Is it a huge long shot? Sure but we are talking ceiling as in everything goes well.

Agreed, any team that makes it can go on a cinderalla run. But as far as a reasonable ceiling; thats basically a top 20-25 team. If all goes well, sure.

I actually think we can do better even adsorbing a few more losses. Remember Duke already has 2 losses as does Lville beating these teams head to head, finishing ahead of them in conference and having a good ACCT would mean a protected seed. Is it a huge long shot? Sure but we are talking ceiling as in everything goes well.

Obviously I would love for you to be right. To be a protected seed, I think we would need to go 14-4 in the ACC and then do a little damage in the ACCT. We accomplished very little during the non-conference season, so we have some ground to make up.

Obviously I would love for you to be right. To be a protected seed, I think we would need to go 14-4 in the ACC and then do a little damage in the ACCT. We accomplished very little during the non-conference season, so we have some ground to make up.

I do not think I'm right but it would be the ceiling. Remember UVA accomplished basically nothing in the nonconference last year and was a protected seed so it can happen although you had better be awesome in conference.

Look at Virginia last year for a good example of that.

If we were to go 16-2 in the league and win the tournament, we'd be a 1 seed.

I don't think we'll do that, of course. But this team can continue to improve (with better defense from Joseph, more scoring from Roberson, consistency from Gbinije) and that'll give us a team that can string a lot of wins together in March.

Right now I'd say a trip to the sweet sixteen is our ceiling.

I'm not sure I understand that mindset. We have already proven that we can basically beat Villanova (who is on pace to be a 1 or 2 seed), so why couldn't be beat a team like that again in a Sweet 16 game?

The NCAA tournament is a gloriously entertaining cesspool of randomness.

I think the round of 32...I suppose if we get a team that upset someone else, sweet 16 is possible.

Look at remaining schedule and predict outcomes:

4 Definite wins BC twice, VT home, Pitt home
2 probable wins Clemson away, Pitt away
6 Wins

5 Definite losses NC away, Louisville home, ND away, Duke away, Virginia home
3 Probable losses Miami home,Duke home, NCST away
8 losses

Record going into ACCT 19-12 ACC record 10-8

Probable one win one loss in ACCT

20-13 Does this get us in NCAAT What seed?

Last edited:
Look at remaining schedule and predict outcomes:

4 Definite wins BC twice, VT home, Pitt home
2 probable wins Clemson away, Pitt away
6 Wins

5 Definite loses NC away, Louisville home, ND away, Duke away, Virginia home
3 Probable loses Miami home,Duke home, NCST away
8 loses

Record going into ACCT 19-12 ACC record 10-8

Probable one win one loss in ACCT

20-13 Does this get us in NCAAT What seed?

miami home probable loss? no way.

I think roberson, joseph, and patterson have a lot of room for growth. They will become more comfortable in their roles. Chino and BJ I think are still a bit away from offering this team much. Right now neither one looks to be a factor moving forward...I hope I'm wrong. The thing that worries me even though many don't beleive in fatigue being a factor is that we still have many games before the tournament and will have 4 guys who will play almost every minute of every game. That will be draining for those guys. Can they keep up their current level of play for 14-16 more games before the tournament while averaging 38-40 minutes a game.

I think this team like many have said can make the second weekend. From the teams I have watched this year their seems to be a lot of sub par teams that we can beat.

ceiling pre tourney ban would have been making and winning 1 maybe two in the tourney. Now with nothing to play for they'll need to get their heads on straight to win half of what they play going forward with so little motivation now. Suckamundo

Marsh01 said:
no but we can

Kudos. I bet that went over some folks head.

Cuseregular said:
ceiling pre tourney ban would have been making and winning 1 maybe two in the tourney. Now with nothing to play for they'll need to get their heads on straight to win half of what they play going forward with so little motivation now. Suckamundo

I think they'll be fine with that. Might even play with a chip on their shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom