What's worse? The offense or the defense? | Syracusefan.com

What's worse? The offense or the defense?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Honest question.

Offense is stagnant. Defense is a sieve.

Neither one are Top 100 caliber.

Sad state of affairs.

The defense. Can some one tell me what exactly we played in the second half? Was tha a box and one?

The defense is absolutely horrible...worst I've ever seen.

I have no idea what was happening with the guards today. St Johns is bombing away from three and Gillon is off in neverland hanging out too long, and Howard is god knows where at times - perhaps off camera? lol

DC in the middle is not impressive. Eh, nobody is impressive.

I have no idea what was happening with the guards today. St Johns is bombing away from three and Gillon is off in neverland hanging out too long, and Howard is god knows where at times - perhaps off camera? lol

Hugging Jason Terry like JR Smith did one game this year while the ball was in play.

I can't tell you how many times I counted today where Howard and Gillon were both in together, and several times St. John's had a WIDE open 3 and then Gillon/Howard just looked at each other after it went in like it was the other's fault.

If I had my choice, I'd rather have the defense improve. I'd rather play really well on defense, clean the glass, get easy transition buckets. We have enough individual talent on offense to luck into 50pts a game - add 14pts in transition with more stout D and at le`ast it'd be watchable

I can't tell you how many times I counted today where Howard and Gillon were both in together, and several times St. John's had a WIDE open 3 and then Gillon/Howard just looked at each other after it went in like it was the other's fault.

If I had my choice, I'd rather have the defense improve. I'd rather play really well on defense, clean the glass, get easy transition buckets. We have enough individual talent on offense to luck into 50pts a game - add 14pts in transition with more stout D and at le`ast it'd be watchable

I know.....I saw them point a couple times like maybe they have a clue. Nobody is listening to your pointing, neither of you know where to be!

There was one in the second half where Howard literally ran to the baseline with his guy. He passed it back for a three where we had no one within 15 feet. At one poin JB appeared to ask Frank "do you even want to play?"

I know...I saw them point a couple times like maybe they have a clue. Nobody is listening to your pointing, neither of you know where to be!
At least Gillon plays hard. Frank quits. Bye bye Frank.

We're not going to have anything resembling a good defense when we only play zone and have an immobile Center and 3 foot tall Guard.

There was one in the second half where Howard literally ran to the baseline with his guy. He passed it back for a three where we had no one within 15 feet. At one poin JB appeared to ask Frank "do you even want to play?"
I remember that. It is crazy that the same people that taught Triche/MCW/G/Cooney the top of the zone also taught Gillon and Howard. Maybe they haven't had enough time, maybe they don't have the basketball instincts. But man, it just looks like those 2 dudes have no clue up top - AW3 is equally bad in the zone. Battle is our probably our 2nd or 3rd best defender in general in the zone behind Lydon and Roberson.

Offense- not even close. The offense is HORRID
It's close lol. The offense has showed up in some games - even 71 against GTown. The only reason we don't allow those cupcakes to score is because they miss wide open shots that the better teams don't miss, that's it. the execution of the zone has been bad in every game.

It's close lol. The offense has showed up in some games - even 71 against GTown. The only reason we don't allow those cupcakes to score is because they miss wide open shots that the better teams don't miss, that's it. the execution of the zone has been bad in every game.
You're probably right but the offense is soooooooooo bad. In literally every single aspect.

At least Gillon plays hard. Frank quits. Bye bye Frank.

Didn't we switch to M2M right around that point? I thought we went man for a couple possessions whilst going down 40 points. Maybe Frank saw it coming and decided to switch early! Teacher's pet!!

About a week ago, I posted that we needed to tighten up the defense to have any chance this year. The defense has gotten worse since then. :(

Watch White on D. It's comical. He's not even trying.

Add him in with Gillon who isn't big enough for the zone, DC who isn't capable of playing the 5 in the zone, and Howard who looks like he really doesn't care about much and we're looking at the worst defense in Syracuse history.

Watch White on D. It's comical. He's not even trying.
Did you see TT in the first half? Dude was playing the middle o fthe zone and didn't put his hands up ONCE. He was barely moving and his effort to move up or turn around to try to grab a board was nonexistent. It was all around awful.

I'll give Lydon some props for fighting pretty hard for defensive boards - especially in the first half. Everyone else had a good show watching him.

Add him in with Gillon who isn't big enough for the zone, DC who isn't capable of playing the 5 in the zone, and Howard who looks like he really doesn't care about much and we're looking at the worst defense in Syracuse history.
Yeah I like when DC acts like he didn't foul people... Gillon is small but at least the dude plays hard.

Did you see TT in the first half? Dude was playing the middle o fthe zone and didn't put his hands up ONCE. He was barely moving and his effort to move up or turn around to try to grab a board was nonexistent. It was all around awful.
Yeah I know...but somehow managed to foul all along the way also.

Yeah I like when DC acts like he didn't foul people... Gillon is small but at least the dude plays hard.

Yeah, that was odd when DC started to smile with his hands in the air. Wasn't sure of the call but then saw the replay where he pretty much clotheslined the guy in his face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom