What's worse? The offense or the defense? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's worse? The offense or the defense?

Yeah, that was odd when DC started to smile with his hands in the air. Wasn't sure of the call but then saw the replay where he pretty much clotheslined the guy in his face.
Nearly took his head off.

Honest question.

Offense is stagnant. Defense is a sieve.

Neither one are Top 100 caliber.

Sad state of affairs.

The chemistry issues, the flow of the game on either end, the pacing, execution, it all appears to be a result of being totally lost on the defensive end. That was jump shooting practice for the Johnnies, and the Orange just stare back at each other like whatchu gonnna do? I can't get to that spot!

Mullins was laughing at the first TV timeout, he knew it was lights out very early. 5th year transfers are not going to learn a team defense that takes years to make effective, and their frustration carries over to the other end. JB and the staff have a tall order to salvage any meaningful victories the rest of the way.

Yeah I like when DC acts like he didn't foul people... Gillon is small but at least the dude plays hard.

I know - that is always funny, especially after they show the replay. On the one he thought was an obvious tie-up he fouled that dude 5 times. He got him with the body, then on the arms as he went by, then he got him in the face, and then he tied up the ball.

And he really looked like he genuinely didn't realize he fouled the guy.

I know - that is always funny, especially after they show the replay. On the one he thought was an obvious tie-up he fouled that dude 5 times. He got him with the body, then on the arms as he went by, then he got him in the face, and then he tied up the ball.

And he really looked like he genuinely didn't realize he fouled the guy.

I'm not really sure what DC brings, he makes some baskets but he seems to make even more errors on offense than made shots. Defense, may be the worst defensive center we've ever had at Syracuse.

If he never saw the floor again I wouldn't care.

Add him in with Gillon who isn't big enough for the zone, DC who isn't capable of playing the 5 in the zone, and Howard who looks like he really doesn't care about much and we're looking at the worst defense in Syracuse history.

True!!

I think Lydon plays hard. He was out there on one leg tonight and was playing well for a good portion of the night. He has zero help though.
Lydon plays hard and Thompson at least looks like he cares but is a freshman doing freshman things at times.

That's it. Those two are the only ones that show any talent, drive, effort, care on this team.

Battle might end up being big time at some point but right now, he's not good. This trio of guards we have are an anchor preventing this team from moving forward on both sides of the ball. They can't defend, can't run a team, can't create for others and show zero leadership.

White seems to be reliant on playing off others and being the kickout guy when defenses collapse. Well, defenses have nothing to collapse on and we don't run anything resembling an efficient high school offense, let alone high D-1 college, so he's useless.

Roberson and Coleman are just unfortunate. I don't know what to say about them but they clearly aren't part of the solution.

Lydon and TT. That's all we got right now.. And when I say "that's all we got", I mean as far as hope. Hope that they're here next year for whoever is coaching to help us bounce back from this epic dumpster fire of a season.

Lydon plays hard and Thompson at least looks like he cares but is a freshman doing freshman things at times.

That's it. Those two are the only ones that show any talent, drive, effort, care on this team.

Battle might end up being big time at some point but right now, he's not good. This trio of guards we have are an anchor preventing this team from moving forward on both sides of the ball. They can't defend, can't run a team, can't create for others and show zero leadership.

White seems to be reliant on playing off others and being the kickout guy when defenses collapse. Well, defenses have nothing to collapse on and we don't run anything resembling an efficient high school offense, let alone high D-1 college, so he's useless.

Roberson and Coleman are just unfortunate. I don't know what to say about them but they clearly aren't part of the solution.

Lydon and TT. That's all we got right now.. And when I say "that's all we got", I mean as far as hope. Hope that they're here next year for whoever is coaching to help us bounce back from this epic dumpster fire of a season.

6-30 out of White/Gillon/Battle/Howard. They are atrocious.

Honest question.

Sad state of affairs.
Coaching is worse...The kids are being told what to do and if they refuse you bench them.

Honest question.

Sad state of affairs.
I agree with JB...he and his staff need to do a better job coaching. The offensive sets are a joke and the defense isn't much better.

It's very difficult to play when you're afraid to make mistakes and this team is walking on egg shells.

Nearly took his head off.

Clear block of his head. ;) DC played hard, but he's certainly not subtle.

We've had unexpected success by having an elite defense despite struggling on offense. We have neither this year. Which one is the easiest to try to fix is the question?

Add him in with Gillon who isn't big enough for the zone, DC who isn't capable of playing the 5 in the zone, and Howard who looks like he really doesn't care about much and we're looking at the worst defense in Syracuse history.
I still believe we had a team with Paul Harris worse than this.

You think the dynasty team was worse? Freshman year Scoop and Flynn was a better backcourt than what we are seeing now.
I remember us giving up like 90 points to Sienna right out of the gate. We won but my god. I'm not sure that Howard and Battle/Gillon at the top of the zone are worse than Flynn and Scoop. I will call them both equally ineffective.

Did you see TT in the first half? Dude was playing the middle o fthe zone and didn't put his hands up ONCE. He was barely moving and his effort to move up or turn around to try to grab a board was nonexistent. It was all around awful.

Most of the time they don't have their hands up on out-of-bounds plays under the opponents basket!
It's something I learned in 5th grade!
Apparently none of the coaches notice this

I still believe we had a team with Paul Harris worse than this.

I'll respectfully disagree.

That team had some players on it. I think we have one or two on this team.

i don't get the people here who we think we can't play man to man defense. that's all you learn from the 6th grade up. i never once played zone.
people here act like it's learning some new foreign language when in fact we're the only team in the ncaa speaking only portuguese. the switch to man would not be above the talent level or cognitive grasp of any player on this team. we don't play it simply cuz the coach thinks "zone" is his trademark.

I remember us giving up like 90 points to Sienna right out of the gate. We won but my god. I'm not sure that Howard and Battle/Gillon at the top of the zone are worse than Flynn and Scoop. I will call them both equally ineffective.

It was Flynn and Devendorf at that stage, and I agree that they were probably equally ineffective.

On the other end, though, those guys could make a lot of the positive basketball plays expected of D-I guys. And they're my least favorite team of all time, but they're superior in that regard to the current group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom