When will Chris Bleich receive an NCAA waiver? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

When will Chris Bleich receive an NCAA waiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can not resolve issues in 5 months, and give an answer you are both inefficient and stupid. Nobody is saying it should be a definite yes, although that is what we prefer, however an answer is essential and there is no excuse for not getting one. No excuse.
I agree...final answer should be resolved in a timely manner.

Okay closer to 5 months then, but we do not know how long prior to that twitter that it was actually sent in. Everything I said still applies. Others have been approved in way less than half that time. This is especially true for transfers closer to home with a pandemic going on.
Also not an intraconference transfer, so no conference rules to muddy up the issue.
I may be incorrect on the date. The twitter said his final transfer application was sent in on that date. Just saying for accuracy.

And to "think" maybe HIPA circumstances might apply here is not out reason for believing why the NCAA won't comment. Does the NCAA want additional documentation?? Do they have conflicting medical info?? Florida said he was ok to play??? Just wondering out loud...See below>>>
Bleich clarified that the situation he “wasn’t able to control” was a reference to injuries that he “didn’t have a choice” but to play through at UF. He declined to share all the details of his waiver request, but noted that family hardship is one of multiple factors.

You keep bringing up hipa, there honestly should be no medical reason for granting an immediate eligibility waiver at another school.

Again, the point I am trying to make is HIS medical info may be the question holding up their decision. Would you really think the NCAA would potentially defame him by saying they think he transferred because he lost his stating role.. NOT that he was truly injured?? Further, you think they would put out a statement before their investigation is completed???
If anything is let out with a trace of medical history by the NCAA they could be in violation of HIPA laws.

c'mon...we all have the same interest in SU. Demanding things from the NCAA is good for this message board. In reality, it will go nowhere.. sorry.. fact.
Again, you are missing the point of my post. I am not talking specifically about Bleich. The point bnoro and I are making is the the NCAA should be transparent in their rules for granting or denying a waiver. I'm not asking for Bleich's medical info or any other Bleich-specific info - never was.

Again, you are missing the point of my post. I am not talking specifically about Bleich. The point bnoro and I are making is the the NCAA should be transparent in their rules for granting or denying a waiver. I'm not asking for Bleich's medical info or any other Bleich-specific info - never was.
I hate to point this out ...but Then your general comments shouldn't be on this Bleich recruiting thread. It should be on the general FB board.

He seems to miss the point a lot.

Given the NCAAs track record, I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest that they may have engineered the global COVID-19 pandemic just to prevent Bleich from seeing the field this year.
This is so excellent, I don't know what to say

He seems to miss the point a lot.
Yep, pretty easy to go along with the crowd. NCAA is an easy target. I made valid points regarding why the Bleich family's info is none of our business. Sorry, I didn't edit my inaccuracies like you did in your post./ Just sayin'. Stay on topic...skip the cheap shots from the keyboard.

Again, I want to know like everyone else.
1) I entered the fray when someone asked for FULL DISCLOSURE. What that means is up for interpretation. To me, that means tell the what's and why the case is pending.
My response was it could be medically related and therefore NCAA may not be able to discuss. HIPA came to mind. I got the wrath of another poster for that comment.
A question about his "injuries" has been raised. It may have been an issue at Florida. I'm sure the NCAA has requested their input if it is indeed medically related. Again , that could hold things up.

2) Let's have an attorney weigh in on whether either side of this case (and yes this is a case) should be discussing a pending case in a public forum or elsewhere. I'd say no. Facts, circumstances ,etc. may not have been fully reviewed or verified.
Neither side should be talking and there may be an answer to why we are not hearing anything.

Do you honestly disagree with these points??? I am not Mark Emmert. lol
Who is anyone, other than SU and the student athlete,to demand anything from the NCAA? People think they are entitled to things that they simply are not. Fans are not an interested party to the process.

Who is anyone, other than SU and the student athlete,to demand anything from the NCAA? People think they are entitled to things that they simply are not. Fans are not an interested party to the process.
IMO, fans can be an interested party...they are not an entitled party to the process.

I hate to point this out ...but Then your general comments shouldn't be on this Bleich recruiting thread. It should be on the general FB board.
Forgive me, but you are beginning to sound like the General. Give it up. HIPA has nothing to do with it.

Bleech:vomit:

Can we get back to Bleich the player and not Bleich the patient?

Last edited:
Forgive me, but you are beginning to sound like the General. Give it up. HIPA has nothing to do with it.
Pending case and the potential for health related questions MAY be a reason for the NCAA not giving out info. That's all I've said.

Funny, nobody else offers a reason for the delay. Oh yeah, the NCAA is punishing SU football. (Griffin BB didn't count).

Again, not trying to argue...but just saying his twitter account said April 13, 2020 his application was submitted. I know 4 months is too long too.
Honestly, I just started reading this thread and it appears you are trying to argue. I think on a fan message board it is fine to ask what is going on with this request. This group here have seen time and time again, what appears to be Syracuse getting the short end on rulings from the NCAA. This is already one regardless how it turns out. A decision, one way or the other, should have been made by now. It's not fair to the kid, his teammates, or the school. And once again, kids that have applied much later than this kid, have been given the green light already.

Pending case and the potential for health related questions MAY be a reason for the NCAA not giving out info. That's all I've said.

Funny, nobody else offers a reason for the delay. Oh yeah, the NCAA is punishing SU football. (Griffin BB didn't count).
But you aren't trying to argue. Just an observation, you haven't been here all that long and you are nit picking with some of the best posters here. Strange.

Oh. so you are saying NCAA or any school can discuss medical issues openly in your transparency???? If player A wants to be closer to home due to a medical reason...you are Ok with that being disclosed as a reason for approval or denial??
HIPAA only refers to hospitals or healthcare operations. It has absolutely zero to do with two schools and the transfer process. You might be thinking of FERPA but even then I would find the thread tenuous at best.

there should be full transparency over these decisions. can you imagine.
Uncovered this is what we find out the NCAA process involves
giphy.gif

And to "think" maybe HIPA circumstances might apply here is not out reason for believing why the NCAA won't comment. Does the NCAA want additional documentation?? Do they have conflicting medical info?? Florida said he was ok to play??? Just wondering out loud...See below>>>
Bleich clarified that the situation he “wasn’t able to control” was a reference to injuries that he “didn’t have a choice” but to play through at UF. He declined to share all the details of his waiver request, but noted that family hardship is one of multiple factors.
HIPAA doesn't apply. If we were seeking information from a hospital or a healthcare provider, HIPAA would cover that. HIPAA does not cover privacy when a healthcare provider is not involved. So if Chris mentioned a health issue in his report to the NCAA and the two institutions involved he would most likely be afforded privacy protection through FERPA and not HIPAA.

If Chris has a medical reason for moving closer to home he could disclose that on his application with all the pertinent medical records because the NCAA and the member institutions would not be able to disclose that information because of FERPA.

With that said I'm confused about why that would hold up the process. The NCAA and the two member institutions would have access to his medical records if Chris willingly gave that information as part of the transfer process. None of that information would need to be disclosed to the general public, just a ruling in favor or against his transfer.

Further - FERPA only covers specific privacy details. If the NCAA came out and said each year that they take medical records into account in deciding whether a player can transfer or not, they are not releasing any information that would relate to the privacy of a student-athlete seeking a waiver as that information would not need to be disclosed.

Source: I'm a media law professor.

HIPAA doesn't apply. If we were seeking information from a hospital or a healthcare provider, HIPAA would cover that. HIPAA does not cover privacy when a healthcare provider is not involved. So if Chris mentioned a health issue in his report to the NCAA and the two institutions involved he would most likely be afforded privacy protection through FERPA and not HIPAA.

If Chris has a medical reason for moving closer to home he could disclose that on his application with all the pertinent medical records because the NCAA and the member institutions would not be able to disclose that information because of FERPA.

With that said I'm confused about why that would hold up the process. The NCAA and the two member institutions would have access to his medical records if Chris willingly gave that information as part of the transfer process. None of that information would need to be disclosed to the general public, just a ruling in favor or against his transfer.

Further - FERPA only covers specific privacy details. If the NCAA came out and said each year that they take medical records into account in deciding whether a player can transfer or not, they are not releasing any information that would relate to the privacy of a student-athlete seeking a waiver as that information would not need to be disclosed.

Source: I'm a media law professor.
1) The medical disclosure provisions may not exclusively be related to Chris. His hardship waiver may include health conditions of family members.
2) Just on HIPA response...There are provisions in HIPA which deem parties that employee physicians (has to do w/billing of insurance) as required to follow HIPA. UF or SU may have used physicians, healthcare facilities, etc. that would fall into this category.
3) UF has to sign off. lf they dispute injury claim or provided contradicting diagnosis to what Chris presented....therein is the potential from making a more difficult case. Follow up questions, etc. likely.

We may only guess at this point. Again, I am not on the side of the NCAA. I only presented potential insight on why the NCAA will not disclose reason(s) for delay of response.

1) The medical disclosure provisions may not exclusively be related to Chris. His hardship waiver may include health conditions of family members.
2) Just on HIPA response...There are provisions in HIPA which deem parties that employee physicians (has to do w/billing of insurance) as required to follow HIPA. UF or SU may have used physicians, healthcare facilities, etc. that would fall into this category.
3) UF has to sign off. lf they dispute injury claim or provided contradicting diagnosis to what Chris presented...therein is the potential from making a more difficult case. Follow up questions, etc. likely.

We may only guess at this point. Again, I am not on the side of the NCAA. I only presented potential insight on why the NCAA will not disclose reason(s) for delay of response.

On #1 - this is an issue raised by many hardship waiver requests. There was a kid down in North Carolina a year or two back, I think he was either transferring into VT or out of. Whatever the case he transferred to a school that was 5 miles out of the transfer 'radius' (there is such a thing who knew) AND his mother had cancer. His request for immediate eligibility was denied.

So I would like to know why his request was denied but the two Quarterbacks mentioned above (moving 3000 miles from home and no medical issues) were granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom