When will you stop consistently watching? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When will you stop consistently watching?

When will you stop consistently watching SU hoops?

• Total voters
When they pry my cold, dead hands from the TV remote or a Dome seat.

As an edit, I sat in puddles in Archbold watching Ben’s “declining years” including his 2 win season. I watched all of the Gerg years and the 2020 1-win season.

And I’m going to stop watching SU hoops??? LOL, not bloody likely.

Last edited:
One good thing about a bad stretch is that the riff-raf disappears and we just have the hard-core fans. That's when all the criticism stops. the critics get so disgusted that they go away.

I think.

Actually, it's completely the opposite.

The critics go berserk when things get bad, and many of the good posters stay away.

When the worm turns, and things get good, the riff-raf clams up and disappears.

I watch Football every Saturday why would I stop watching basketball.

It will be interesting to see which coach gets replaced first.

I can’t imagine not watching. I’ve missed only three broadcast games since 1985.

But, where I used to watch at the edge of my seat, in complete, intense, rapt attention, at this point, I’m on my iPad perusing Pinterest and guitar gear sites and the game is observed out of the corner of my eye. No bueno.

One cure I have for feeling sorry for myself that I have to be an SU fan is to think of how the players and coaches are feeling. it's an entertainment to us. To them, this is what their lives are about. They don't contract with us to fulfill our dreams. We hitch our wagons to theirs and hope their dreams come true because they are ours, too.

Last edited:
One good thing about a bad stretch is that the riff-raf disappears and we just have the hard-core fans. That's when all the criticism stops. the critics get so disgusted that they go away.

I think.

I would argue that someone can be a hardcore fan and be unhappy with the mediocrity the program has shown in recent years, and doesn’t want to invest as much time watching a lackluster product.

I would argue that someone can be a hardcore fan and be unhappy with the mediocrity the program has shown in recent years, and doesn’t want to invest as much time watching a lackluster product.

And you would be wrong.

hardcore
[ˈhärdˌkô(ə)r]
NOUN
hard core (noun)
the most active, committed, or strict members of a group or movement.
"the party still has a hard core of supporters that will always vote for them"
synonyms:
diehard · staunch · dedicated · committed · steadfast · hard-line · [more]

Not trying to troll, asking a serious question. When will you stop watching Syracuse basketball consistently?
Stopped a while ago… About three seasons or so ago (Syracuse Hoops was always my favorite thing)… It’s just really bad basketball for anyone who actually understands hoops. JBs a very poor offensive coach. Defensively I actually like the zone against a lot of opponents. If you play with your shooters on the wings, instead of the corners, your defense is already at a huge advantage which is what a lot of teams do In college for whatever reason. In the NBA, if you run zone, teams put their shooters in the dead corners and set an angle PNR and it essentially is just man to man with the center in the middle
being in a drop coverage.

Offensively, the spacing, PNR Concepts, and play design are very poor (to put it nicely) and that’s why we struggle tremendously on that end

Never.

But am I resigned to this team being perhaps JB's worst ever? Absolutely. About 10 days ago, a bunch of posters tried quelling concerns about this team's ceiling by saying JB always figures things out. We're not going to figure things out.

We're a team that will be lucky to be .500 at the end of the year. And if we are above that dubious line of demarcation, it will only be by a game or two.

Two many Achilles' Heels with this squad, and no upside. We've already squandered numerous games that we needed to win to be on the right side of the NCAA bubble. NCAA seems out of reach at this point.
Was hoping JB would be able to go out with a final run alongside his sons, but it doesn't look like that's the way the script will be written. I've been a fan too long to get too excited by individual losses, but JB has never had a losing season. I hope it stays that way...

Well, given that I still watch Syracuse football….unfortunately probably never.

But it’s become an enormous waste of time and unhealthy addiction with little fun or positive to be gained from it.
Never. Watched every game in the GRob era and will watch every game I can for as long as the Boeheim era lasts and then will watch every game in the next era.

I'll watch nearly all games no matter what. But we need a change. A cheapo hire or JB staying past his kids tenure will be unacceptable.

I don't want to spend money on a Dino buyout because we likely need to poach a good coach that is already earning big bucks to not enter BB purgatory.

I have for years. The college game in general is broken. It is hard to watch. On top of that our lack of athletes and style of play from 2013 to a few years ago was very hard to watch. So I limited it to bigger games, ACCT, NCAAT. The last few years the talent has been an embarrassment. We are a poor man's Notre Dame. I will only watch NCAAT. I'll be back when JB stops holding the program hostage.

It's weird. I didn't consciously stop watching. I just stopped watching.

Yes, I'm older. Yes, the NC eliminated that hollow pit in my stomach. Forever.

But, I just stopped watching. It's pretty much the product, but it's also just changing priorities. When we had that great season under Babers, I couldn't get enough. I've come to understand that college football, as currently constituted, does not offer much hope for SU. My interest in SU hoops could certainly be resurrected if/when the excitement returns to the Dome.

But, I don't have any great need to watch any more. I don't live and die with how SU does. Maybe I'm just a fair weather fan, or (my opinion) my priorities are just not the same.

Now, the Iggles--them I still watch.

I feel that I haven’t seen Syracuse basketball for a half dozen years or so. I was on The Hill for school in the late 90s and have been a fan since but something has changed in the past handful of years. Where’s the playmaking guard? The guy who can jump out of the gym? The tough/edgy player? The swagger?

I’ve watched many games over the past few years with players wearing Syracuse jerseys , but I haven’t watched “Syracuse basketball” for a while.

Unfortunately, I used to live on the edge of my seat. Now I watch with apathy because I know we are not the same team. Still don’t miss games. But where as before it was I had to be home or make sure I knew the situation and how the game could be primary viewing. It is now. Whatever honey, we can do whatever you want and I’ll watch on my phone. It’s just not nearly as fun anymore.

We had the Georgetown game on while decorating the tree, but that’s honestly the most I’ve watched SU hoops so far this year. I have no interest in mediocrity and now that I have a pair of twins under 2, free time is a commodity I won’t waste on SU.

It’s really painful for me to type this.
Jesus, dude, you’re depressing the heck out of everyone.

I watch when I can but with a 4 year old at home who loves to play trains with his daddy, that is more of a priority.
Same here. Got up at 630 am and coached until almost 5pm. Checked the score. Who cares? It does not matter and we are not changing course. Ironically, I probably was more into football than hoops this year

I will never stop watching. The memories I’ve made with my dad and brother attending games (Six in the city, GMac at the buzzer all week, bourbon street, Houston, Atlanta, Wes vs. UNC, the list goes on). I can only hope to pay it forward to my son.

You gotta have a lyrical soul. Some years you don’t get the results you hoped for but it makes the years where you do that much more enjoyable. The people who don’t watch in the tough years will never enjoy the sensational years like the rest
of us.

I happen to really enjoy this team. Would I like to see us win more? Of course I would. But I believe in these kids and am going to root like hell for them every possession of every game regardless of the outcome. That’s what a real fan does. That’s what a real husband does. That’s what a real father does. And I consider my relationship with Cuse hoops to be a reflection of the type of man i am. The kind that loves in the best and worst of times. And always will.

I’ll never stop watching. I really like basketball as does my oldest daughter, and I love Syracuse. Every morning after a game, my first call in the car is to my father to discuss the game.

I won’t have that forever, but I guarantee you I’ll remember it forever. I consider myself lucky to have a team as consistently successful as Syracuse to watch. If I was all about front running in football or basketball, I’d have switched teams by now…

I’m not in my 20’s anymore, I have a family and responsibilities, If Syracuse loses I don’t sulk or kick the dog because I’ve got better stuff to do… and I really like my dog.

Syracuse basketball is still appointment viewing for me. The games are on my calendar. If I miss one live, I avoid the score and watch it after my other commitment. Syracuse basketball is part of my daily life in the winter months.

That being said, I've made going to the games a lower priority. With the team not as good and with the prices at the Dome so high I can't justify the experience. I'll be in the Syracuse area over Christmas and would love to go to the Cornell game, but I can't justify the cost this time. I'm mad at myself for that, but there have been too many other expenses lately and I have to "cut" something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom