When will you stop consistently watching? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

When will you stop consistently watching?

When will you stop consistently watching SU hoops?

• Total voters
Never. Sometimes I want to, but just can't. I can see it turning into a football or lax thing for me. I turn those games on with the sound off and check in on them while I do other things around the house. Haven't gotten there yet with hoops, but I'm well on the way.

I’ll never stop watching.

Syracuse football and basketball have been my favorite things in the world (outside of family and friends, of course) since I was a little kid. Hilariously they’re two of the few things I’m not completely apathetic about since waking up to my house burning down. Just who I am and that won’t change.

I don’t get as worked up over losses anymore, though. VCU was my breaking point there.

For people that still watch EVERY game, how do you do it? Try skipping the next game. You’ll feel so much better.
Why get so emotionally invested in something you can’t control? Enjoy the fact that you have something to root for, if they win, great! If not, go back to your own life. It’s not that hard. Sports is an escape, it’s two hours where you can watch something that has ups and down but at the end of the day is largely meaningless.

I comment on the forums, have arguments, talk about the team’s disappointing finishes because it takes my mind off of work and personal life for a short period, I’ll still watch every game because it don’t personally feel bad after they lose. If you do you probably need to find something else outside of sports that is important to you.

Not trying to troll, asking a serious question. When will you stop watching Syracuse basketball consistently?
I've watched only 5 games this season. They've all been wins. Don't see what the problem is.

(My schedule more or less prevents watching live. Watching replays knowing the score takes all the angst away.)

The only reason I watched the game real-time yesterday was because my wife wasn't feeling well due to a covid booster the day before. Otherwise we had planned on going shopping all day and enjoying ourselves. I rarely watch the games live anymore. One reason is I've got stuff going on, another is the fact that so many of our games tend to be only available to me via some reddit stream, and three, I freakin' hate the commercials you have to watch when watching live. If I truly loved the team, I'd be able to get beyond much of that.

I would be more apt to watching games if GMac were HC and we were 5-5. At least I know either A. we will turn it around or B. he will be fired. The problem is there a ZERO repercussions for JB. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. His stubbornness will keep him here well past this season.

This season will be the 7th out of the last 8 where we had 14 losses on the season (I am counting 2015 because if we played the ACCT we would have had one more loss). It will be the 8th straight season where we failed to win 60% of our ACC games. Overall in the ACC the last 8 years we are 66-61. This isn't one bad regular season it is EIGHT bad regular seasons.

Before games start, I find something on another channel to flip to and avoid the #%@* commercials.
Used to always click back in time to miss nothing, or very little.
What's changed is that now, if the other channel is interesting I often stay there as long as I want.

Guess it's like Pavlov's dog -and may qualify for having stopped "consistently watching".

Why get so emotionally invested in something you can’t control? Enjoy the fact that you have something to root for, if they win, great! If not, go back to your own life. It’s not that hard. Sports is an escape, it’s two hours where you can watch something that has ups and down but at the end of the day is largely meaningless.

I comment on the forums, have arguments, talk about the team’s disappointing finishes because it takes my mind off of work and personal life for a short period, I’ll still watch every game because it don’t personally feel bad after they lose. If you do you probably need to find something else outside of sports that is important to you.

I haven’t felt personally bad after an SU basketball loss in quite some time now. As I mentioned in the OP, I’ve got more going on in my life that prevents that much investment. And the program’s slide into mediocrity makes it an easy choice. Spend time with my twin toddlers or watch a once proud program get run into the ground? Easy decision.

Never. Too much in the DNA.

Always watch but a couple of good things age and experience bring is not having losses ruin a day anymore, as well as the experience to know when to turn it off when I know it’s gonna be a loss.

That’s lately always been a sanity savor and other than a couple of games with the new qb have been always accurate when to bail. Still always do a quick check back just in case in the middle of what I’m newly doing, but have found this better balance lately to keep it a net positive.

I haven’t felt personally bad after an SU basketball loss in quite some time now. As I mentioned in the OP, I’ve got more going on in my life that prevents that much investment. And the program’s slide into mediocrity makes it an easy choice. Spend time with my twin toddlers or watch a once proud program get run into the ground? Easy decision.
Well obviously lol even if the team was #1 in the country you shouldn’t pass up time with your young children

Even if the Orange win every game for the rest of the season it won't make up for G-town.
That's THE game.
And it's the only game where I get emotionally invested now.

I don't accept mediocrity...even if that's what we're given these days.
Although, come to think of it, mediocrity may actually be an improvement for a team that gave up 100 points to Colgate.
Think of it...100 points to Colgate!!!!

But I'll keep watching as a fan.

It’s gotten to I now watch every game I can, but don’t got out of my way to see one or DVR and stay off my phone.

Also coaching HS wrestling helps as I’m busy most nights now and catch what I can. It’s a sad feeling for sure.

It’s gotten to I now watch every game I can, but don’t got out of my way to see one or DVR and stay off my phone.

Also coaching HS wrestling helps as I’m busy most nights now and catch what I can. It’s a sad feeling for sure.
what high school do you coach wrestling at, if you don't mind my asking? I know high school wresting is serious business in Iowa.

I dont watch consistently because I have Comcast and we still dont have ACC Network (although we will be getting it imminently).

I hunt for streams for every football game, but cant always find my way with hoops.

To each their own I presume.

For many, sports, along with their teams they root for, is an immense passion, a way of life so to speak, borne from their own life experiences, etc.

Your post comes across, IMO, in a lecturing and condescending manner. Good for you that you don’t “personally feel bad.” Insinuating if one does feel bad in the moment, or a bit afterwards, that they need to find something else that’s “important” to them is somewhat sanctimonious.

I guess one could ask/argue why you need to use sports to “escape.” Escape from what? If your work & personal life finds you needing to take your “mind off” of those for a while, perhaps you may want to reflect upon that?

The Georgetown game was it for me for now. Seen what I need to see for the year. We're not making the tourney this year. What's the point.

I watch when I can but with a 4 year old at home who loves to play trains with his daddy, that is more of a priority.

I had season tickets for football and basketball for @15 years. When I renewed football tickets after a 1 win season, I thought that was effectively a lifetime commitment - I wasn’t ever going to give up going to Syracuse games.

But I gave up season tickets to both after having kids, and spent Saturday at my 6 year old son’s wrestling tournament. If the team was top 15 or so, I would dvr and watch when I got home - instead I just check the score and recap and move on with life. Both football and basketball being mediocre at a point when I’m already prioritizing time with kids may have been a fatal blow to my Syracuse sports habits.

I graduated in 1985 and have followed and watched cuse hoops with every game put on my calendar. I stopped making every effort to watch half way through the White/Gillon season. I still watch when the game is on but I don't push other events around it anymore and I don't even bother if it's a pause and pixelated streaming feed.

Never
Watched every football game I could since watching Jim Brown at Archibald Stadium. Watched every basketball game I could since games at the War Memorial. Also listened to radio broadcast of both more times than I could count.

if it weren’t for my kids I’d give up pretty easily… but then I think about the missed bonding opportunity to get my children hooked on SU sports and I try my darndest to create a positive culture. Unfortunately that means I pretend many games never happen since they are not old enough to know the schedule let alone check the ESPN app. We’re staring at the possibility of a 10 game season in this house. Don’t have a magic recipe. I became a fan watching Sherman throw oops and my son is being asked to cheer for Joe being coached by Walter Matthieu. It’s not fair.

Still mostly watch, but I’m not organizing my life around this team. If I can’t watch live I’ll DVR.
I would describe it same way for me

And I fell asleep 5 minutes after the NOVA game started and regret nothing. Felt great in the morning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom