When will you stop consistently watching? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

When will you stop consistently watching?

When will you stop consistently watching SU hoops?

• Total voters
what high school do you coach wrestling at, if you don't mind my asking? I know high school wresting is serious business in Iowa.
Oskaloosa is the name of the school. We just dropped from 3a to 2a. New coaching staff this year with plenty of work to do. They were state champs back in 2003 I believe, but the culture has been poor since 2010 or so.

I don't know if I'll ever stop watching completely, but, if it wasn't for DVR, I'd certainly see fewer games than I do now. I'm growing more apathetic and just don't feel like making my family watch a game with me when they'd rather watch or do something else.

To me, this decline of the basketball program is more frustrating than football. We just don't have the same built in disadvantages in basketball that we have in football.

Watched "The Cars That Made America" last night on History Channel-
Fascinating stuff -the booms/busts that mfrs had, depending on their product connecting w/buyers.
Henry Ford thought the great success selling the "practical" Model T would go on forever, though GM was now selling better, more stylish cars and eating Ford's lunch.
Henry's son Edsel finally convinced him that Ford needed to adapt and improve their product or the company would go out of business. The Model A saved Ford.
Syracuse Basketball needs a Model A.

Watched "The Cars That Made America" last night on History Channel-
Fascinating stuff -the booms/busts that mfrs had, depending on their product connecting w/buyers.
Henry Ford thought the great success selling the "practical" Model T would go on forever, though GM was now selling better, more stylish cars and eating Ford's lunch.
Henry's son Edsel finally convinced him that Ford needed to adapt and improve their product or the company would go out of business. The Model A saved Ford.
Syracuse Basketball needs a Model A.
That's a really cool series. I watched all of them.

I am a fan of 3 teams: New York Giants, Cuse Football and Cuse basketball. I've missed games here and there in the past, but generally I watch 90-95% of each of these teams games. Lately, they all lose a lot, but I still enjoy the sports and the competition. Wins and losses don't effect me much once the game is over. My life doesn't change based on the outcome of a game. I do enjoy watching a competitive ballgame, win or lose.

To stop watching after a few losses and what is looking like a pretty bad season? That is fair weather fan territory and I'm not trying to troll.

Maybe the people who stopped watching, could stop posting.

We had the Georgetown game on while decorating the tree, but that’s honestly the most I’ve watched SU hoops so far this year. I have no interest in mediocrity and now that I have a pair of twins under 2, free time is a commodity I won’t waste on SU.

It’s really painful for me to type this.

Related, my funny experience with Saturday's game:

I haven't seen a minute of SU basketball since that last home game in 2020, but a buddy called me on Saturday morning and was jazzed about the game - "Even if they're not good, it's Syracuse-Georgetown, Saturday afternoon, national game on CBS!"

How could I not be drawn in by that? So I had some work to do refinishing a table on the back porch, but I positioned the TV so I could see it through the window, shifted around all the stuff I was working with, turned on CBS, and got to work. By and by I'd glance at the TV and see an Emeril commercial.

I shrugged and went on with the table work.

I definitely miss the game, but on the other hand it beats ruining my day watching mediocrity and everything that comes with it.

To each their own I presume.
For many, sports, along with their teams they root for, is an immense passion, a way of life so to speak, borne from their own life experiences, etc.

Your post comes across, IMO, in a lecturing and condescending manner. Good for you that you don’t “personally feel bad.” Insinuating if one does feel bad in the moment, or a bit afterwards, that they need to find something else that’s “important” to them is somewhat sanctimonious.

I guess one could ask/argue why you need to use sports to “escape.” Escape from what? If your work & personal life finds you needing to take your “mind off” of those for a while, perhaps you may want to reflect upon that?

Well I won’t lie, I did mean for it to be slightly condescending. As for the escape comment, I’d argue that your statement makes you come off as an a-hole.

I don’t know about you but work and adult relationships can be stressful and it’s nice to turn your mind off from time to time to “escape” from those stressors. I love the job that I have and I am in a very happy relationship, but my life isn’t a sitcom and projects have tight deadlines and life has tough decisions. I’d certainly love to live in this lala land of yours where everything is easy but unfortunately, that’s not how life works.

And miss out on all of your sterling analysis?
I'm a fan and i don't think I can add a heck of lot to "analysis" over and above what a HOF coach and a very veteran coaching staff can do. I believe in their coaching and the team, and they will get better soon.

I'm a fan and i don't think I can add a heck of lot to "analysis" over and above what a HOF coach and a very veteran coaching staff can do. I believe in their coaching and the team, and they will get better soon.
Then why come here to comment?

Then why come here to comment?
I don't comment on strategy. I do comment on team and player development, and also to try to keep the dogs at bay while the season is still unfolding.

Hey I'm a Bills fan so there is your answer. After moving to NC in 1997 I've used every avenue to watch a Bills game on TV when I could. Back then it was driving around town looking for a place to watch. And enjoying the occasional game that was actually on TV (usually vs Panthers). Now streaming or the local Bills backers bar.

Similar for Orange Basketball. Although back then it was easier as Cuse lived on ESPN and Big East ball was must watch.
Now we are in the ACC and there are more opportunities for me to go to games and also stream them. But I don't see myself dropping $500+ to see Cuse @ Duke anytime soon.

I'm still following until the day I die. The losses don't bug me as much as they did when I was younger because at the end of the day, it's kids playing basketball.

I will watch every game if I'm around and I can get it on tv. But, I don't plan around all the games anymore like I used to. For example, Saturday, I had some errands to run and I wanted to work out. I only saw the last 5 minutes.

Well I won’t lie, I did mean for it to be slightly condescending. As for the escape comment, I’d argue that your statement makes you come off as an a-hole.

I don’t know about you but work and adult relationships can be stressful and it’s nice to turn your mind off from time to time to “escape” from those stressors. I love the job that I have and I am in a very happy relationship, but my life isn’t a sitcom and projects have tight deadlines and life has tough decisions. I’d certainly love to live in this lala land of yours where everything is easy but unfortunately, that’s not how life works.

Yeah, your condescension was quite apparent, it's good of you acknowledging same.

You're correct that you don't know anything about me, therefore, you commenting about what "land" I live in is foolish. I've been around the block a time or two, and I'm well aware of "how life works." Hopefully, as you continue to age, your wisdom will as well.

Related, my funny experience with Saturday's game:

I haven't seen a minute of SU basketball since that last home game in 2020, but a buddy called me on Saturday morning and was jazzed about the game - "Even if they're not good, it's Syracuse-Georgetown, Saturday afternoon, national game on CBS!"

How could I not be drawn in by that? So I had some work to do refinishing a table on the back porch, but I positioned the TV so I could see it through the window, shifted around all the stuff I was working with, turned on CBS, and got to work. By and by I'd glance at the TV and see an Emeril commercial.

I shrugged and went on with the table work.

I definitely miss the game, but on the other hand it beats ruining my day watching mediocrity and everything that comes with it.
SU v Georgetown was on Fox. That might be why you kept seeing Emeril on CBS.

I've enjoyed being part of the syracusefan.com community as much as being a sports fan for a while. 1987 caused me to back off a bit, then I moved to Virginia a year later and stayed for 30 years. It wasn't easy to watch or listen for a couple of decades. We've become spoiled in a short period of time. I watch when I can, follow on ESPN when I can't, and chat with my brother during the games.

I'm not a huge fan of winter so CNY is not generally on my winter itinerary, but I've been watching and hoping that JB can pull off one more special season. I've had football season tickets off and on for a while. I don't get to many games but live remotely yet know as much as I care to read about Syracuse sports, largely written by insiders or skilled analysts on this cool site.

SU sports aren't exactly thriving and I'm not as an ardent a fan as I was during the era we contended for national recognition on a regular basis, but still hope we'll contend again soon. Mostly because of the tens of thousands of rabid fans that will turn out to watch SU sports in all conditions. SU basketball players get to play in front of more fans than in almost any other venue. There's a market that will insure strong programs eventually.

Don't despair, my fellow fanatics. No matter what else, change is coming. Either Dino will win more games or be replaced. SU basketball will have a different face soon, too. I suspect we'll survive and thrive. LGO!!

Never I have a pretty bad addiction but I'm no longer building my day or night around the cuse game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom