Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison

Here's the thing with DC. He was told by JB as a freshman "if you want to score, go get rebounds, I'm not running any plays for you". And Derrick said "Okay, coach".

Bennie should get the same speech.
Not so sure thats how the conversation went:)

Too early for me to say. Right now what I see is a Jamal Mashburn like player in terms of style of play (appears to lack energy, doesn't appear aggressive or connected but actually is fully engaged and highly skilled).

basketball wives jesus GIF by VH1

I'm saying this with 100% sincerity -- the player he reminds me of is Woody Newton.

Not the one we landed as a recruit, but the one who opened our eyes at the beginning of last year with his versatile play.

benny is a great and willing passer, can get up and throw it down, long and good rebounder, got good 1 on 1 ability...smart team player...

the passing is the thing that makes it hard for me to find a good comp...not many players his size and athleticism are such willing and good passers...

This has most definitely moved into the “best thread of the year” award running… an absolute dark horse - you had me genuinely laughing out loud on multiple responses. A new favorite!
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Last edited:
For Syracuse comparison it’s a lot of Melo with body type and passing dribbling

He’s also just a touch more athletic than Carmelo and not the shooter. Who else do you think his game is most like?

The thing about Melo is there were stretches where he would make shot after shot to the point where your jaw would drop. He was the epitome of the "go-to guy" in all the years I've been watching Syracuse basketball.

I think the best comparison would be Kris Joseph as other people have said. Williams ability and style driving to the rim reminds me a lot of Joseph. And Williams seems to be able to knock down outside shots. At this point in the comparison, I think Kris Joseph was probably a much better outside shooter than Williams currently is.

If we are going to do comparisons at moments of time I think Williams is more athletic than Joseph was when Joseph was a Freshmen. If Williams takes the infamous Sophomore leap next year then he certainly has the potential to become a Melo-like "go-to" x-factor type player capable of winning a national championship with the right supporting cast of players.

It would probably help me to dial back my expectations if long-time observers like yourself could point out some of the ways--other than attitude--that Benny doesn't compare favorably to Derrick Coleman in his freshman year.

I'd be happy to be set straight with a few keen observations, but simply invoking the knee-jerk "Don't be too optimistic!" cant isn't really helpful, quite honestly...

Derrick Coleman was a God at Syracuse. Benny Williams has a ways to go.

Here's Coleman's numbers as a freshmen: 11.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg. These are pretty good for a freshmen!

Last edited:
Derrick Coleman was a God at Syracuse. Benny Williams has a ways to go.

Here's Coleman's numbers as a freshmen: 11.9 ppg and 8.8 rpg. These are pretty good for a freshmen!

There are probably only around 10 guys in SU history who ever matched Coleman's freshman year numbers.

There are probably only around 10 guys in SU history who ever matched Coleman's freshman year numbers.

Here's my list of people who matched Coleman's scoring and rebounding numbers:

Oshae Brissett
Rakeem Christmas
Rick Jackson
Carmelo Anthony
Etan Thomas
Damone Brown
John Wallace
Billy Owens
Bill Smith
Vaughn Harper
Dave Bing

Rony Seikaly and Rosie Bouie got close; they hit each number, but not both, in a single season.

Here's my list of people who matched Coleman's scoring and rebounding numbers:

Oshae Brissett
Rakeem Christmas
Rick Jackson
Carmelo Anthony
Etan Thomas
Damone Brown
John Wallace
Billy Owens
Bill Smith
Vaughn Harper
Dave Bing

Rony Seikaly and Rosie Bouie got close; they hit each number, but not both, in a single season.
Very small list, add in blocks and the list gets even smaller.

Reminds me of Cmac a bit with a sprinkle of G and a dash of Grant. When he was in high school he reminded me of Jeremy Lamb
I’m with you on CMac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom