Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Who’s your Benny Williams player comparison

I’m with you on CMac

He's a player who only played 9 games for us, and largely under-whelmed. I don't really have any sense of him as a player for us.

He's a player who only played 9 games for us, and largely under-whelmed. I don't really have any sense of him as a player for us.

He actually played 16 games but it was a strange season before he got hurt. His first 8 games he was tremendous as a frosh averaging about 15ppg and 9rpg. His last 8 games he only averaged about 4ppg and 5rpg. Don’t know if he got sick, hurt, hit a wall or what happened. But that was a huge drop off.

He actually played 16 games but it was a strange season before he got hurt. His first 8 games he was tremendous as a frosh averaging about 15ppg and 9rpg. His last 8 games he only averaged about 4ppg and 5rpg. Don’t know if he got sick, hurt, hit a wall or what happened. But that was a huge drop off.
As I look back, I see that he did have some big games against quality teams early in the season, which kind of surprised me. My memory of him I guess has been tainted by Boeheim's criticism of him.

I remember that the NBA draft talk started very early with CM and Boeheim got upset about it, and implied that he was loading up on cupcakes. But I see that wasn't true. Regardless, though, he fell off the map after the St. John's game, before his season ending injury vs. Fla. State.

so far I’m completely unimpressed with everything save for his jumping .. seems like a project .. not a 1 or even 2 and done

Remember that funny conversation during preseason that Benny should be a starter (over Jimmy) because he was as good as Melo. That’s was a good one.

so far I’m completely unimpressed with everything save for his jumping .. seems like a project .. not a 1 or even 2 and done

So far he’s Tyler Roberson with a few more inches and a better vertical. Same line drive grenade-launcher shot so far. Hope he adjusts to the speed of the game and stops rushing things because we will need him to improve so we can put some athleticism on the court.

Remember that funny conversation during preseason that Benny should be a starter (over Jimmy) because he was as good as Melo. That’s was a good one.

Jimmy was not very good today. I’m really worried about how his game will translate to ACC play. He got packed by Woodward (who has about a 6” vertical leap) twice and was beaten to soooo many loose balls. We need Benny to improve a lot because the combination of Jimmy and Cole looked so slow today.

Jimmy was not very good today. I’m really worried about how his game will translate to ACC play. He got packed by Woodward (who has about a 6” vertical leap) twice and was beaten to soooo many loose balls. We need Benny to improve a lot because the combination of Jimmy and Cole looked so slow today.
He’s an ok role player who can come in and spell your main guys without a calamity ensuing .

Anything more than that and he will be exposed badly

He’s athletic, but he got burned on the glass and in the corner just as much as everyone else.

Yeah that was my take away as well...and I enjoyed his offense game in the first 2 games and was very high on him.,.but man,he got stuffed a lot and was slow on obvious steals on the traps and getting out to the shooters. I don’t know if he can score against ACC competition justify being in the floor. Well see

He’s athletic, but he got burned on the glass and in the corner just as much as everyone else.
Absolutely true. The difference is that he has the athleticism to rectify those mistakes if he improves over time whereas i don’t think the other forwards do.

So far he’s Tyler Roberson with a few more inches and a better vertical. Same line drive grenade-launcher shot so far. Hope he adjusts to the speed of the game and stops rushing things because we will need him to improve so we can put some athleticism on the court.
Roberson could take over a game simply rebounding the ball.

At this point, any other hyped player who wasn’t ready as a freshman.

Let's just hope he doesn't compare to our other freshman who tend to leave after one year.

Jimmy’s game is gonna be that if an Ivy League kid. He’s not an ACC level player. But that wasn’t the point. Benny is nowhere near the talent Melo was and that’s who people were comparing him to.

And a favorite call out in post game presser also just like Roberson.

Jimmy’s game is gonna be that if an Ivy League kid. He’s not an ACC level player. But that wasn’t the point. Benny is nowhere near the talent Melo was and that’s who people were comparing him to.

Not an ACC player? I know he hasn’t played one yet this season but neither have the others and Jimmy is 3rd on the team in scoring and leads the team in rebounding. We must not be an ACC team.

Jimmy is fine, not sure how you can call him out when there is plenty of blame to go around. Pretty much anyone but Joe had major flaws this game.

Yeah that was my take away as well...and I enjoyed his offense game in the first 2 games and was very high on him.,.but man,he got stuffed a lot and was slow on obvious steals on the traps and getting out to the shooters. I don’t know if he can score against ACC competition justify being in the floor. Well see
Jimmy did have 10 rebounds. Joe had 8. Everyone else was pathetic on the boards. Im surprised people are worried about Jimmy’s offense. Im not at all. But I am worried about his defense. They all need to start working better together as a defensive unit and know the rotations, because they will usually have an athleticism deficit. Benny and Frank are really good athletes so we also need rapid improvement from them all around.

He’s 3 games into his freshman year. Give him some time to adjust. I bet by the end of the year you’ll have a different take than that.

He’s 3 games into his freshman year. Give him some time to adjust. I bet by the end of the year you’ll have a different take than that.
Posters in this thread compared him to Carmelo and DC. He’s not half of what they were yet.

We need him to be a mix of Tyler Lydon/Malachi Richardson and he’s not there yet either.

Why? Based on this season so far, what would be the loss?

Because most players that are not great as frosh tend to get better (often quite a bit better) in their sophomore and junior years. If the team fails to get that "growth" benefit from its freshman its going to tend to fall behind.

While the transfer market is huge (in terms of acquiring people) you still need internal growth. I think internal growth is probably still more important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom