Who do you want as the new OC? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Who do you want as the new OC?

I’ll be shocked if it’s not Andrew Sowder. Or at least he is at the top of Dino’s list.

He’s on the “Dino Tree”, runs the offense that Dino has historically run. It’s a safe pick.
If you want to get a better idea of who Andrew is, check out this video.

I gotta say, he is pretty impressive.

Listening to the Locked On Syracuse podcast on the drive to work and they made a great point. If next year is bowl or bust for Dino, you have to sell an OC on potentially a one-year contract and that he could be gone if Dino loses his job next year. Going to be a tough thing to sell
Gotta be at least a 2-3 year guaranteed contract.

I am not expecting a big splash hire here. JW knows the deck is stacked against Dino next year with the schedule lining up the way it does. There was no reason to bring in a new coach and have him get off on the wrong foot with a losing record. The time to make a splash with a new head coach and OC will be after next season.

He was just awful at Arizona. Putrid
Yeah...not good.

But didn't Airzona have a similar problem as we did in 2020. They could barely field a team IIRC.

Again, with Dino's potential hot seat. He may have to look for someone willing to accept a short term contract. I'm thinking former HCs looking to get back into the candidate pool.

He was just awful at Arizona. Putrid

Sumlin
35-17 at Houston
51-26 at Texas A&M
9-20 at Arizona

Sumlins career record 95-63

maybe the problem is arizona. There's only been three coaches since 1976 to have a winning record there. Larry Smith 1980-1986 (48-28), Dick Tomey from 1987-2000 (95-64) and Rich Rodriguez 2012-2017 (43-35).

Last edited:
let's go all in with Rob Spence. I want to see our QB's hop on their drops again.
I think Spence was the OC disaster hire who was the bubble screen king.

The crow hop guy was the QB coach disaster hire from the Pacific Northwest. I think his name was Phil Earley.

Yeah...not good.

But didn't Airzona have a similar problem as we did in 2020. They could barely field a team IIRC.

Again, with Dino's potential hot seat. He may have to look for someone willing to accept a short term contract. I'm thinking former HCs looking to get back into the candidate pool.
I think this is right. And HCDB is more likely to put his faith - and his career - behind someone who has “been there” rather than throw in on a young guy who may have loads of potential. It’s a difficult spot to be in. Unfortunately, we may have to wait a while to see who is still standing when the music stops. I hope not. But that may be reality. The X factor here is money. What understanding do JW and HCDB have regarding the checkbook for a new OC.

Sumlin
35-17 at Houston
51-26 at Texas A&M
9-20 at Arizona

maybe the problem is arizona. There's only been two coaches since 1976 to have a winning record there. Dick Tomey from 1987-2000 (95-64) and Rich Rodriguez 43-35.

Someone recently posted a breakdown of Sumlin's record at TAMU vs. Fisher's and Sumlin had him beat in several important metrics. Guy's a good coach and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten another shot at head coach.

That uva OC looks good

And he's about to turn 63, so a potential one year gig probably isn't that big of a deal.

Might depend on Bronco's next move, if he wants to stay with him. Does he become a candidate at Colorado State? Gets him back to his comfort zone geographically, without the P5 expectations.

Someone recently posted a breakdown of Sumlin's record at TAMU vs. Fisher's and Sumlin had him beat in several important metrics. Guy's a good coach and I'm surprised he hasn't gotten another shot at head coach.

3 coaches at Arizona. I missed Larry Smith from 1980-1986. They seemed to have our same problem in the modern era. Since 2000 that program is 108-143.

Sumlin can coach and he wouldn't be the head guy anyway.

I think Spence was the OC disaster hire who was the bubble screen king.

The crow hop guy was the QB coach disaster hire from the Pacific Northwest. I think his name was Phil Earley.

That’s right, I’ve tried to block that phase of my life out.

I think we are getting our hopes up here. All these names getting tossed around sound great. But when the actual hire comes through I’m betting we’ll all be disappointed.

It will be a guy like Joe Adam from Elmhurst who coached defense to be our Oline coach.

I think we are getting our hopes up here. All these names getting tossed around sound great. But when the actual hire comes through I’m betting we’ll all be disappointed.

It will be a guy like Joe Adam from Elmhurst who coached defense to be our Oline coach.
at least we have name recognition of Joe Adam. i preparing for a "who?" and then heading straight to google.

Think that's about over with. Jimbo is starting to stack top 5-10 recruiting classes on top of each other. They're going to be a powerhouse for a while.

If you want to get a better idea of who Andrew is, check out this video.

I gotta say, he is pretty impressive.

yeah, he is a smart guy. the hire would make sense, comes down to him risking it and taking a potential one year gig. then again, maybe after the one year we hire Lewis and he keeps Andrew!

Sumlin
35-17 at Houston
51-26 at Texas A&M
9-20 at Arizona

maybe the problem is arizona. There's only been three coaches since 1976 to have a winning record there. Larry Smith 1980-1986 (48-28), Dick Tomey from 1987-2000 (95-64) and Rich Rodriguez 2012-2017 (43-35).
Maybe. Or maybe the farther from Houston he is the worse off he is. The coaches on your list comprise about 26-27 years of time. I knew Larry well…

yeah, he is a smart guy. the hire would make sense, comes down to him risking it and taking a potential one year gig. then again, maybe after the one year we hire Lewis and he keeps Andrew!

My only issue with him is that he isn’t a QB guy. He is coaching them now but doesn’t have any track record of it. Wildhack specifically wants a QB guy at OC. I would say that rules him out.

Same thing with Robert Anae I that some have spoken of. Not a QB guy.

Who develops good and inventive run games with a great RB and a big mobile QB?

Getting a year of Tucker has got to be a benefit in finding someone

I'd like Rich Rod to be the next HC!

Too toxic. If we want his O we can get Rod Smith. He was with Rich Rod as the QB/OC from 2007-2017. He was at UVA last year so he is somewhat familiar with the ACC. The system would fit our running game but it would do nothing to improve our passing game.