who else gets to break our heart tonight? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

who else gets to break our heart tonight?

The arbiter of recruiting credit agrees with the first part of your post and disagrees with the second part.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Is it a loss for this staff if he goes to Indiana or somewhere else? While it seems to be agreed that Smith was committing if Marrone was still here, it doesn't seem that the new staff has considered him to be much of a priority (has there been information that Smith has been in contact with the new staff). Just haven't heard anything in that regard other then fans still hoping there is contact.

Hayes was obviously recruited by previous staff and Syracuse was his favorite for awhile. New staff accepted the verbal.

Maybe I am just setting it up so if Smith goes elsewhere, it is because the offer was pulled.

But, your right, they should prolly fill the same category.

Is it a loss for this staff if he goes to Indiana or somewhere else?
I don't consider anyone that that had committed under the previous staff and doesn't stick with the new staff to be a loss.

I don't consider anyone that that had committed under the previous staff and doesn't stick with the new staff to be a loss.

Ray Rice was a significant loss for Syracuse to go back to the regime change that started Syracuse on the GRob mess.

I understand your reasoning, but in evaluating the coaching staff and one of the reasons Shafer was hired (continuity in coaching and recruiting), any commit he wanted and didn't stay would be a loss for Syracuse on the recruiting trail.

Not all losses are the same and we will find out in 3 or 4 years if there were any significant losses or just inconvenient losses (as an example - Carter could just be an inconvenient loss due to the LB numbers now, or he could prove to be a significant loss if he becomes Doug Hogue at Rutgers).

Ray Rice was a significant loss for Syracuse to go back to the regime change that started Syracuse on the GRob mess.

I understand your reasoning, but in evaluating the coaching staff and one of the reasons Shafer was hired (continuity in coaching and recruiting), any commit he wanted and didn't stay would be a loss for Syracuse on the recruiting trail.

Not all losses are the same and we will find out in 3 or 4 years if there were any significant losses or just inconvenient losses (as an example - Carter could just be an inconvenient loss due to the LB numbers now, or he could prove to be a significant loss if he becomes Doug Hogue at Rutgers).
See, I think losing Ray Rice was a good thing. Rice was a talented player, but he wasn't going to be able to fix the systemic problems in the program. He might have been good enough to continue covering them up for a little while, kicking the can down the road for when we would deal with them.

I don't know. For all the talk that players commit to a school and not a coach, that's just out and out bunk. I just can't fault the coaches for not retaining a commitment when there are changes on the staff.

wow

get off Marrone's jock

He landed some great kids who turned out great

SS staff has landed some highly regarded kids as well

it is not a dick measuring contest here
Don't forget those 2 bowl victories had GR key players associated with it.

Well, It honestly doesn't matter whether anyone likes the results of the latest class.

The facts:
1. The former head coach was leaving whether anyone liked it or not.
2. He took half the coaching staff with him. (You can argue whether he intended too from the beginning, or not)

So, there is no point to discuss what the previous staff may or may not have been able to do, because they weren't going to be here.

The only question is whether the new staff can/could do two things:
1. Retain the existing class.
2. Bring in new players to fill the class (as it was never filled in the first place)

I think there is plenty of evidence to have a strong case that the former staff had given up on recruiting, as they had no plans to be at SU.

As for the new staff, I think you can say that they did okay with point 1. Not great, but not bad. They kept the majority of the class together, but they lost the upper crust of the class.

As for point 2, I think it is difficult (unless you have blinders on) to honestly say that the new staff has not done a good job.
The players that have been added are of a quality that is amongst the better players that the school has been able to recruit in the past 10 years.
That doesn't mean that they are necessarily the best recruits, but they are far from the worst recruits. And to be able to do that, with half a staff, and only a month, is quite impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom