Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Who honestly has confidence in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

How much confidence do you have in Mike Hopkins as the next HC

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy for Hopkins but that loss yesterday is brutal. Our team and HC would be taking a lot of heat if we lost that game.
Washington is 1-3 against P5/Gonzaga/AAC teams and it’s conference has no other good teams except Arizona and Oregon.
Washington isn’t going to get a good seed unless they go 15-3 or better in conference play.

Brutal loss for them 10-3 in nonconference is not good with that schedule.

Last edited:
I know that is a problem for us not Carter
That’s not a recruiting issue. Carter was rated lower than basically everyone on our roster. The naysayers would have slaughtered JB over him. I remember all the Jay-Z jokes in that thread.

Because he’s been in the running for a number of solid recruits. These things tend to balance out.

That is the issue, post Hop we have yet to close on any top tier talent. We could not get one post player that could help this team, Facts are facts.

I’m not sure what your argument is. Is it we are close on kids and be patient Boeheim is going to start bringing in top talent again and Hopkins has proved nothing because the Pac 12 is weaker than the acc. If Boeheim had Hopkins players we would be so great. I’m not sure what to tell you and hate to be the one to bring this to your attention but we are not going to get higher rated kids and have any chance to improve until Boeheim retires. He was an amazing coach for us and I love him but this is what the end looks like whether you are him or Bobby Bowden or whoever. Hopkins is beside the point really. He is a good person and I’m happy for his success but the fact people are still talking about an assistant coach 3 years after he left should tell you everything you need to know about our situation.
Several of Hop’s commitments at Washington were only possible because he started recruiting them while at SU. There won’t be anyone like that in future classes. Look at his targets. They’re all from the west coast (other than Kuminga, whom he’s not getting).

Hop was a popular player and coach here. We could be ranked in the top ten and people would still be talking about him. This is the internet.

That is the issue, post Hop we have yet to close on any top tier talent. We could not get one post player that could help this team, Facts are facts.
That doesn’t jibe with the “no one wants to play for JB” narrative. If that were truly the case, then we wouldn’t even be in the running for these guys.

Newton and Richmond are solid additions.

I am happy for Hopkins but that loss yesterday is brutal. Our team and HC would be taking a lot of heat if we lost that game.
Washington is 1-3 against P5/Gonzaga/AAC teams and it’s conference has no other good teams except Arizona and Oregon.
Washington isn’t going to get a good seed unless they go 15-3 or better in conference play.

Yeah. That loss is going to hurt their seeding potentially. Sampson attached the zone better than he did in 2003. :).

McDaniels killed them in the 2nd half last night. 2 offensive fouls, two turnovers, and his failure to secure a defensive rebound with about 1:30 on the clock was the play of the game.

Defensive rebounding was a real issue for them last night. Houston got a ton of putbacks.

Teams are going to double Stewart and dare them to shoot. Wright and Carter aren’t good enough to deter that strategy. Stewart was unstoppable when he got the ball, he just didn’t get it enough.

That doesn’t jibe with the “no one wants to play for JB” narrative. If that were truly the case, then we wouldn’t even be in the running for these guys.

"Almost" doesn't count in recruiting elites. They either sign or don't. As for Newton and Richmond ... meh, we'll see. But Carey was a must get, a great talent. Goodine was going to be a stud. JBA a diamond in the rough ... read through the recruiting threads - every kid SU recruits is awesome. That Moyer thread is embarrassing.

Solid players, but still does not address the Center spot. We always in the running for players we don't get. Guess it's just bad luck right?

"Almost" doesn't count in recruiting elites. They either sign or don't. As for Newton and Richmond ... meh, we'll see. But Carey was a must get, a great talent. Goodine was going to be a stud. JBA a diamond in the rough ... read through the recruiting threads - every kid SU recruits is awesome. That Moyer thread is embarrassing.
Carey was a top 50 recruit. Goodine was top 100 and has his entire career ahead of him. You’re trying to have it both ways.

“Almost” doesn’t help the roster, but it does show the interest is there. If JB and SU were as toxic as some are suggesting, then we wouldn’t even be talking about “almosts”.

2020 big man Cliff Omoruyi cuts list to eight --Will attend Arizona State-Princeton tonight and UMass-Rutgers Friday . Need anymore examples ? Look at his list we can't catch a cold right now

There’s a lot of whistling through the graveyard going on in this thread.

I have an easier time accepting the “JB has earned the right to play this out how he wants” argument than the “all is well, we’re just a whisker away” argument.

There’s a lot of whistling through the graveyard going on in this thread.

I have an easier time accepting the “JB has earned the right to play this out how he wants” argument than the “all is well, we’re just a whisker away” argument.
That’s my whole thing. He has earned the right and we will probably be slightly better by Buddy’s senior year than we are now. The idea that we are going to see a resurgence in recruiting and talent though is delusional in my opinion.

2020 big man Cliff Omoruyi cuts list to eight --Will attend Arizona State-Princeton tonight and UMass-Rutgers Friday . Need anymore examples ? Look at his list we can't catch a cold right now
We didn’t make the final 13

My understanding is we were done with 2020 until Jackson reached out.

That’s my whole thing. He has earned the right and we will probably be slightly better by Buddy’s senior year than we are now. The idea that we are going to see a resurgence in recruiting and talent though is delusional in my opinion.
I can’t speak for all, but I never said resurgence. I said we’re bound to win one of these close races.

thi
Yeah. That loss is going to hurt their seeding potentially. Sampson attached the zone better than he did in 2003. :).

McDaniels killed them in the 2nd half last night. 2 offensive fouls, two turnovers, and his failure to secure a defensive rebound with about 1:30 on the clock was the play of the game.

Defensive rebounding was a real issue for them last night. Houston got a ton of putbacks.

Teams are going to double Stewart and dare them to shoot. Wright and Carter aren’t good enough to deter that strategy. Stewart was unstoppable when he got the ball, he just didn’t get it enough.

This is where Hop needs to improve. Jimmy would not be afraid to get in a players face and call them out when they make a mistake or continually make the wrong play. Hop is a nice guy and a players friend. He needs to get a tougher edge and not be afraid to have moments where players don’t think he’s there buddy. With a player like Stewart you feed him non stop and As coach you make sure your team does that.

The idea that we are going to see a resurgence in recruiting and talent though is delusional in my opinion.
I’m not familiar with which assistants were leads on which recruits. The only thing I remember is listening to Hop’s phone call to Kaleb Joseph. Are you saying none of our current staff has recruiting chops comparable to Hop’s?

It's not a coin flip, there are variables on why we are not getting these guys.
Yeah, this isn't just a case of shooting their way out of a slump.

SU usually averaged a McD AA every 2-3 years. The last McD AA was Malachi who committed in 2014 2013 and played in 2015. Barring something completely unforeseen, Syracuse isn't getting a McD for 2020. There are a couple of possibles for 2021, Kepnang, maybe, but is he going to be interested in competing as freshman for minutes against a JR Jesse Edwards and a RS Jr. JBA? After that, Buddy graduates and when the staff is talking to recruits who are they saying is going to be coaching in 2021-22 and beyond? Because you can be assured other teams are talking about it.

It's not a coin flip, there are variables on why we are not getting these guys.
And if things were as dire as you say, we wouldn’t even be in the running.

And if things were as dire as you say, we wouldn’t even be in the running.

f60db82acb9510030d2cf396c5bfa087_its-fine-the-anthem-of-meme-everything-is-fine-fire_1280-720.jpeg

I’m not familiar with which assistants were leads on which recruits. The only thing I remember is listening to Hop’s phone call to Kaleb Joseph. Are you saying none of our current staff has recruiting chops comparable to Hop’s?

It's not a fair comparison in that way. Many recruits have relationships with the coaches early on, and by their junior year they are already comfortable with the coach who is their connection to the college. For Green and Stewart that person was Hop not JB. JB may show up once to watch a game and may be one more time to close. But Hop was the one who follows them and may be texting them daily or weekly. When Hop left SU was already ten steps behind by sending in Red or Gmac to start a relationship with them. It seems Green actually got confused when Hop left and went to Kentucky instead. Under those circumstances it would be a huge disadvantage for anyone to step in.

Does anyone know if JB has a relationship with any of his players? Besides buddy I mean. You see Roy and K speak about their players after a loss, you see Cal speaks about his players - outside of basketball I mean and you can tell they all have relationships with their players. Does JB have relationships with his players the same kind he had with Pearl or Sherman or Derrick back in the early days?

Or does he sit in his office watching videos of practices and rely solely on assistants to run them? Does he talk to his players during practices? Or he says something to the assistants and the assistants minced his words and deliver to the players after sugar coating them? Is this why he slams his players in PC? Because they hear it from his mouth unveneered?

That's precisely my thinking. Give JB that roster and we're probably contending. But JB can't get that roster, at this juncture, with this staff.

JB needs to take the situation seriously that he created we have 4 good players on the team that is it. Push the kids who showed up and couldn’t dribble a basketball despite decent recruiting rankings out the door and become transfer U. He’s never whiffed on transfers.

No I don’t wanna wait 3 years for Edwards and Goodine to become serviceable.

JB needs to take the situation seriously that he created we have 4 good players on the team that is it. Push the kids who showed up and couldn’t dribble a basketball despite decent recruiting rankings out the door and become transfer U. He’s never whiffed on transfers.

No I don’t wanna wait 3 years for Edwards and Goodine to become serviceable.
Dang. You’re right. JB doesn’t take it seriously.

Per Verbal Commits Hop has no players signed for next year and is only recruiting 2 guards, but Stewart and McDaniels are probably gone next year.

I could see possibly Mcdaniels returning, but Stewart is gone.

In a year we could be having a very different conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom