Who is the recruit you have been most excited for... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is the recruit you have been most excited for...

Jermaine Pierce (though one wishes Grob could've got Colt Brennan through the admissions board; his denial was understandable).

Johnnie Morant - how you waste four years of a WR who was bigger than Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald is astonishing.

Old school: Bill Scharr. He leaves HS with 73 TD passes (#1 in NYS at the time, 25 years later, he's still #3) and 4945 yards (#2 then, #15 now), and SU tries to turn him into an option QB to follow Don McPherson. Uh, ... no.

Never understood the interest in Cecil Howard. His senior year, as a "quarterback", he rushed for like 1500 yards, and passed for like 500. How does that make you a qb prospect? Even moreso, how does that get him rated right behind Matt Leinart coming out of HS?

Kev

hmm... lets see, we have used: Lavar Lobdell, Greg Paulus, Marcus Sales, and now Jovan Miller.

Do I hear a Bruce Williams?

It's a good thing the JD program has been better to the bball team...

Maybe Ben Barret ducks the trend. Comes in unhearlded, leaves an NFL'er

I'm going to decline to name a name because I don't feel like self-flagellating today.

that never panned out...

Mine, Lavar Lobdell

Oh wow. Cecil Howard, Jermaine Pierce, Chad Elliott, Colt Brennan, Ray Rice, Courtney Greene, Lavar Lobdell, Larry McClain...more recently Malcolm Cater and Defarrel Davis. I can't choose just one.

Joe Fields when coach P started talking about him he said he had a stud recrit coming from Texas I thought he would be the next great field general for the Orange

Did any of you guys ever seen Cecil Howard play?

For good or bad? Can't say I got to see him play much at Syracuse.

Seriously though. He may have been a great option QB, he may not have. All I can say is, I don't get my hopes up when SU recruits a QB who rushes for 3x as many yards as he passes for as an HS senior. That to me doesn't scream out "great quarterback"; it screams out "great athlete" or "great running back who's playing QB". And if they're going to sell him as a QB, he has to show something other than what a wildcat QB does. I don't understand why a recruiting service would rate someone that high either. Matt Leinart was rated one spot ahead of Howard on the QB lists and you know what he did at USC. His stats his senior year of 2,870-28-10 (no rushing stats) went WAY further in projecting his success as a QB than Howard's, even with the differences between USC and SU.

And yes, I am slightly concerned about Terrell Hunt or Ashton Broyld and how they will project as QBs at Syracuse, for the same reasons. While their stats do not mimic Howard's, they are closer to those than to Leinart's. A QB still has to throw the ball reasonably well to be successful. I mean, 500 yards passing over the course of an HS season works out to 40-50 yards per game. Any HS QB can manage that.

Kev

I was so pumped for Paulus.. I woke up at 4am in the middle east to watch his first game.. First snap right? Over his head, 20 yards back? :bang:

I was so pumped for Paulus.. I woke up at 4am in the middle east to watch his first game.. First snap right? Over his head, 20 yards back? :bang:

That was on Marrone. Their headphones went out just before the game and the team huddled on the sideline after the kick and didnt get the play until it was too late, they had to run from the sideline into their formation and snap the ball within like 7 seconds.

That was on Marrone. Their headphones went out just before the game and the team huddled on the sideline after the kick and didnt get the play until it was too late, they had to run from the sideline into their formation and snap the ball within like 7 seconds.
So about that...

The first play of the first offensive series in your first game in your first season as head coach is made in the moment?

So about that...

The first play of the first offensive series in your first game in your first season as head coach is made in the moment?

Exactly my point... The headsets shouldn't have mattered. They shouldnt be breaking the huddle from the sideline with 8-10 seconds on the playclcok

Madei Williams
I saw some of the players working out, and he was one of them. Looked really good throwing the ball. Seemed really confident as well.:noidea:

Every single QB we've brought in since 1995.

Ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom