Who was more fun to watch? | Syracusefan.com

Who was more fun to watch?

GooseMutt

All Conference
This could be perceived as a ridiculous comparison but I take that risk.
Michael Jordan
Or Pistol Pete Maverich

Never really saw either of them play. Highlights mainly. Which can be very deceptive. On that level, for instance Moten would lose 10/10 to someone like MCW. But if you saw all the minutes of the games it would be a much closer comparison.

Never really saw either of them play. Highlights mainly. Which can be very deceptive. On that level, for instance Moten would lose 10/10 to someone like MCW. But if you saw all the minutes of the games it would be a much closer comparison.
It's so tough to compare across generations. I dont think anyine can make a meaningful comparison without seeing a lot of games from both players, which is why im staying out of the MJ v Pete comp.
If you saw all the college minutes of both of MCW and Moten, it's no comparison, imo. Moten wins hands down. Moten played at a high level for four years at a time when even the best college players stayed for 3 years. He was just so smooth and effortless that he doesn't get a lot of love as one of SUs greats. But there's a reason he had the Big East all time scoring record for so long.

Pistol was just an out of this word prodigy that did as he wished unrestrained. Will anyone ever have that freedom again? Gotta admit Magic was fun too but MJ was seriously taking care of business in a convincing way like no other

Michael Jordan
Or Pistol Pete Maverich

I think this is a great question!

I would say that Maravich was "Must See TV" before Michael Jordan was.

In fact, it took Michael Jordan a few years in the league before he was able to beat Boston, LA, Detroit, etc. I think that after Michael Jordan strung together his first couple championships, then HE became "Must See TV".

Jordan's greatness, his ability to do jaw-dropping things in the biggest moments is amazing. But he wasn't that guy right away.

Maravich, like you said, was like a Globetrotter. He was out of this world!

We did not get to see much of Pistol on TV, so Michael has a clear advantage. However, clips of Pistol are extremely entertaining and amazing. He could do things that were unheard of, at least in his era. Read the book Pistol if you want to learn more.

We did not get to see much of Pistol on TV, so Michael has a clear advantage. However, clips of Pistol are extremely entertaining and amazing. He could do things that were unheard of, at least in his era. Read the book Pistol if you want to learn more.
Pete and Calvin Murphy were fabulous in college.

I saw both of them play live, Pete about 4 times with the Hawks and Mike twice, once in college and once in pros. Pete was definitely more frequently fun to watch. You never knew what he was going to do with the ball. Mike was obviously more explosive and did many exciting things. But Pete always had the ball so he was more exciting more often during a game.

Michael Jordan
Or Pistol Pete Maverich
Love PP! He's one of the players I have my all my guards go back and watch. I'm always amazed at when we talk about it at the next practice, they can't believe how his game was so sick.

That being said, I would have to go with Michael Jordan... specifically when he is in "Air" Jordan mode. I could grab some beers and watch his greatest dunks on loop all damn day!

I think this is a great question!

I would say that Maravich was "Must See TV" before Michael Jordan was.

In fact, it took Michael Jordan a few years in the league before he was able to beat Boston, LA, Detroit, etc. I think that after Michael Jordan strung together his first couple championships, then HE became "Must See TV".

Jordan's greatness, his ability to do jaw-dropping things in the biggest moments is amazing. But he wasn't that guy right away.

Maravich, like you said, was like a Globetrotter. He was out of this world!
I don't know IM.. I agree with 89.5 percent of what you said... But this part? I dunno... he was beastly entertaining from day one in the league, even though he didn't always win. I think if it was a comparison of the two without dunks included, I could not argue with anyone who said PP was more entertaining.

Both great. Most fun to watch "Pistol Pete". Having his father coaching him at LSU with little restrictions to his game helped him hone his skills. He averaged over 44 ppg for his 3 year varsity career and is still the all D-1 scoring leader for a career. His behind the back passing was legendary as well.

Pete and Calvin Mu

Pistol was just an out of this word prodigy that did as he wished unrestrained. Will anyone ever have that freedom again? Gotta admit Magic was fun too but MJ was seriously taking care of business in a convincing way like no other
If you take dunking out of the comparisons, you have to throw a few more players in the mix. Isaiah Thomas, Oscar, Walt, Tiny, Magic and the logo.

Last edited:
Both great. Most fun to watch "Pistol Pete". Having his father coaching him at LSU with little restrictions to his game helped him hone his skills. He averaged over 44 ppg for his 3 year varsity career and is still the all D-1 scoring leader for a career. His behind the back passing was legendary as well.
My fav is when he comes down on the break, bounces it, does a circle around the ball and sends a tap pass to the player on his left. Magic would use that move too. Put that one in my arsenal as soon as I saw it.

Pistol Pete was the Steph Curry of his day.

So, more a combo of sick handles, skills, and shotmaking, than the absurd athleticism that was MJ.

It's funny you mention this, I never saw Pistol Pete. But I can tell you that watching Steph go nuclear was more fun, for me, to watch than MJ.

I have MJ as the best bball player ever. So it's not a knock on his greatness.

But you in terms of sheer entertainment, give me Steph over MJ. Heck, another example is I loved watching Manu. Now he isn't close to as good a player as Tim Duncan was. But Manu had some style with his talent and was fun to watch.

I've only seen highlights of PP so this may not be valid, but I would lean MJ, mostly because I love above the rim play. Seeing guys that seem to just float or fly over, through, and past everyone has always been my favorite basketball. It's one reason current basketball doesn't interest me as much. The barrage of 3's doesn't do it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom