Whose our pg next year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Whose our pg next year?

Beggars can't be choosers, but I just want to point out that Keene is LISTED at 5'9. Gillon is LISTED at 6'0.

We all know Gillon isn't 6'0, but this kid is unlikely to actually be 5'9. He's probably 5'7 - every guard I've ever seen listed at 5'9 in college or the pros has been 5'6 or 5'7.

That said, maybe there's not THAT much of a drop off between 5'9 and 5'7 at the top of the zone, given that most opponents can shoot over either one of them.

I think Keene is a RS Junior. Which means that if he transferred he would have to sit out a year, if I am not mistaken.

I think Keene is a RS Junior. Which means that if he transferred he would have to sit out a year, if I am not mistaken.
Which means he can graduate in the spring and be a grad transfer. He doesn't have to sit.

I can't see someone like Keene transferring. He's got national noise right now and if he's not NBA material, what does going to SU get him? Unless he thinks JAB can better hook him up with an overseas league or he wants to get into coaching.

On another note, I wish we would have given a look last year to Shannon Evans from UB. He followed Hurley to ASU when Hurley transitioned. Would've been hard to pull him from Bobby's grasps but the kid was built for the spotlight and handling big time college basketball. Playing pretty damn well at ASU right now too. Averaging nearly 16 a game with over 4 assists and above 35% from trey.

On another note, I wish we would have given a look last year to Shannon Evans from UB. He followed Hurley to ASU when Hurley transitioned. Would've been hard to pull him from Bobby's grasps but the kid was built for the spotlight and handling big time college basketball. Playing pretty damn well at ASU right now too. Averaging nearly 16 a game with over 4 assists and above 35% from trey.
Could still happen. He should be a grad transfer following the season, having played 3 and sat out another season. He's from Virginia, so maybe he'll want to play back east again.

A player who is not currently on the roster.

Agreed. And also someone who has never been in my kitchen.

220px-Cliff_Clavin_in_Jeopardy.png

Shouldn't we give Frank at least one more year? G couldn't dribble up the court his sophomore year and look how that turned out...

Shouldn't we give Frank at least one more year? G couldn't dribble up the court his sophomore year and look how that turned out...

If we can bring in a freshman, even a combo type guard who can play 5 or so minutes at the PG and back up the 2G along with a grad transfer PG we are probably better off long term than sticking with Howard. I suspect Howard will transfer as it seems no one is happy with his situation at SU including him. I can't remember a guard being so bad at the zone in season 2. Its weird but it seems like he has gotten worse as the season has gone on. I'm sure the staff will bring in other options and I don't think Howard wants to stay just as a guy adding guard depth to the roster.

Howard Washington...nobody else seems dying to come here...assuming the staff actually offers him a scholie before he gets tired of waiting.

I could see us bringing him in but I don't think they would be looking at him as next years starting PG. He'd be here to be a backup PG and learn the system giving us some long term depth that we need with the revolving door we've had at that spot.

If we can bring in a freshman, even a combo type guard who can play 5 or so minutes at the PG and back up the 2G along with a grad transfer PG we are probably better off long term than sticking with Howard. I suspect Howard will transfer as it seems no one is happy with his situation at SU including him. I can't remember a guard being so bad at the zone in season 2. Its weird but it seems like he has gotten worse as the season has gone on. I'm sure the staff will bring in other options and I don't think Howard wants to stay just as a guy adding guard depth to the roster.
I def think they need to add more guards and thinking of him start leaves me uneasy heading into next year but I don't understand why we run all of our guards off the team after two years. Patterson, Kalab, now howard. I mean the staff knows way more then me in terms of development and the scholarship issue makes it hard to carry dead weight but everybody is so quick to move on...but then we get mad when the good guards leave early.

I def think they need to add more guards and thinking of him start leaves me uneasy heading into next year but I don't understand why we run all of our guards off the team after two years. Patterson, Kalab, now howard. I mean the staff knows way more then me in terms of development and the scholarship issue makes it hard to carry dead weight but everybody is so quick to move on...but then we get mad when the good guards leave early.

Kaleb was a flat out recruiting miss. Patterson was a late flyer that we took and it didn't work out. We'll see what Kaleb does next year but Patterson didn't do much elsewhere. Howard seems to be regressing and he was groomed for this spot last season and the offseason. He was given every chance and it hasn't gone well. The staff definitely needs to have some of the responsibility placed on them because these kids haven't been working out. That said Howard is a mess as a PG, not a good enough shooter as a 2G and not big enough to play the wing. Those are just the on court issues.

I could see us bringing him in but I don't think they would be looking at him as next years starting PG. He'd be here to be a backup PG and learn the system giving us some long term depth that we need with the revolving door we've had at that spot.
Agree the staff is shooting higher or Howard W. would have been offered already, but I think not offering is a mistake. I hear he is improving fast, so why shouldn't he be the guy if he winds up at the Cuse ?

It is probably a 50 - 50 if Frank even comes back, and if he does return he will need to make a big jump to earn the start & get out of Jimmy's puppyhouse. I don't have a good feeling about Ayala coming here. Duarte - I am not sure he is a pure PG if he did come. So, of course, we could go back to the grad transfer route, but that would be high risk leaving the slot open until summer two seasons in a row. Battle could conceivably move to the point, but I would only see that happening if we recruited a starting caliber 2G.

So, put it all into the cauldren, I think HW has as good a shot to be that guy as anybody else with an identifiable name at this point in time.

Could still happen. He should be a grad transfer following the season, having played 3 and sat out another season. He's from Virginia, so maybe he'll want to play back east again.
Dion personality in a smaller body but the kids hit huge shots his whole career.

Kaleb was a flat out recruiting miss. Patterson was a late flyer that we took and it didn't work out. We'll see what Kaleb does next year but Patterson didn't do much elsewhere. Howard seems to be regressing and he was groomed for this spot last season and the offseason. He was given every chance and it hasn't gone well. The staff definitely needs to have some of the responsibility placed on them because these kids haven't been working out. That said Howard is a mess as a PG, not a good enough shooter as a 2G and not big enough to play the wing. Those are just the on court issues.
Yea, I am not disagreeing with you at all. Just wish you could see it play out longer but I guess that is not D1 sports. I personally liked Patterson...he hustled and seemed to play hard but good god he couldn't shoot a basketball.

A player to be named later.

Personally, I think we'd be in trouble if he had to rely upon Howard starting, or Battle shifting over to fill a hole at PG. I want Battle playing off the ball, doing what he does best--scoring.

Jordoo addressed it but these were also guys handpicked over other guys (who wanted to come here!) who turned out to be very good players by the time they were sophs. These guys were to be counted upon. You can't have Top 50/100 guys (Howard/Joseph) regressing deep into their soph seasons. Not at crucial guard spots. Patterson isn't doing much at IUPUI and only averaging 20-something minutes. Roberson has been a bust at F safe to say now.

It's too bad Diagne never made it here. I think he had the motor and physicality to certainly help in the rebounding dept and bang down low with UNC and UL type frontlines. Can't have the Chinos and Chukwus in the ACC. Chukwu was a mess before the eye and I never had much hope for him, regardless. Seems like Boeheim didn't early in the season as well from comments in pressers about his ability to contribute. Comments like "hopefully sometime in my lifetime" and such. The recruiting must get better. That's not debatebale. The fact that we are still lamenting Tyler Ennis, a D-League level player, leaving early is laughable.

Agree the staff is shooting higher or Howard W. would have been offered already, but I think not offering is a mistake. I hear he is improving fast, so why shouldn't he be the guy if he winds up at the Cuse ?

It is probably a 50 - 50 if Frank even comes back, and if he does return he will need to make a big jump to earn the start & get out of Jimmy's puppyhouse. I don't have a good feeling about Ayala coming here. Duarte - I am not sure he is a pure PG if he did come. So, of course, we could go back to the grad transfer route, but that would be high risk leaving the slot open until summer two seasons in a row. Battle could conceivably move to the point, but I would only see that happening if we recruited a starting caliber 2G.

So, put it all into the cauldren, I think HW has as good a shot to be that guy as anybody else with an identifiable name at this point in time.
Duarte is definitely not a PG. Would only add depth as a SG/SF.

I've spent a lot of time trolling through the 4th year junior ranks, and recently the JuCo sophomore ranks . . . and if we want another 5 foot something jitterbug, there are plenty of options. But if you want someone more typical of a Syracuse PG in stature, the pickings are mighty slim

A player to be named later.

Personally, I think we'd be in trouble if he had to rely upon Howard starting, or Battle shifting over to fill a hole at PG. I want Battle playing off the ball, doing what he does best--scoring.

We don't have a SF and there's no guarantee our Centers (Chukwu and Sidibe) will be as good as we need. We're in trouble regardless of the PG situation, but that just makes it worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom