Whose our pg next year? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Whose our pg next year?

I can't see someone like Keene transferring. He's got national noise right now and if he's not NBA material, what does going to SU get him? Unless he thinks JAB can better hook him up with an overseas league or he wants to get into coaching.

It gets him the chance to play home games in front of 25-30K fans, play at Cameron and MSG, and very likely play in the NCAAT with a much better shot at a deep run than if he stays put.

Put another way: it gives him a chance to play the most meaningful basketball he's ever going to play.

Shouldn't we give Frank at least one more year? G couldn't dribble up the court his sophomore year and look how that turned out...

If he's a good teammate, coachable, a good program guy, and hard worker dedicated to improving and accepting of whatever role he earns...sure, why not?

I've spent a lot of time trolling through the 4th year junior ranks, and recently the JuCo sophomore ranks . . . and if we want another 5 foot something jitterbug, there are plenty of options. But if you want someone more typical of a Syracuse PG in stature, the pickings are mighty slim

I just want someone that can play. Sherman, Pearl, GMac, and Flynn were not physically imposing.

We don't have a SF and there's no guarantee our Centers (Chukwu and Sidibe) will be as good as we need. We're in trouble regardless of the PG situation, but that just makes it worse.

Unduly pessimistic, given that we don't know how the rest of the class will shape up.

But we'll need two wing starters to round out next year's perimeter rotation [to say nothing of depth]. Battle has versatility to start at a couple of different positions, depending on who we land.

If we find a PG AND we return our core of Battle, Lydon & Thompson we could be solid next year. I think Moyer opens some eyes next year but not at G. And I've got no problem with the ball being in Battles hands. He just can't be the primary ball handler. I want him scoring not distributing. I would love to see an improved Howard in the rotation. He and Robie are both shells of the players they were in last years tournament. And that is on them.

I just want someone that can play. Sherman, Pearl, GMac, and Flynn were not physically imposing.

Yep. JB's philosophy of zone at all cost, imo, is a contributing factor as to why we have guards that can't productively play the point. They may have the size that JB prefers, but certainly lack the general skillset that the aforementioned possessed prior to arriving on campus. At this level, it's just a disaster waiting to happen...and it has been a catastrophe.

Yep. JB's philosophy of zone at all cost, imo, is a contributing factor as to why we have guards that can't productively play the point. They may have the size that JB prefers, but certainly lack the general skillset that the aforementioned possessed prior to arriving on campus. At this level, it's just a disaster waiting to happen...and it has been a catastrophe.
2 final 4's in the past 4 seasons is kind of NOT a "catastrophe."

Duarte is definitely not a PG. Would only add depth as a SG/SF.
From your last pod, it didn't seem you were that into Duarte, Correct? He sounded like he plays a bit out of control and maybe overestimates his shooting ability? I also can't see how anyone would expect him to be a PG option, especially next year.

true; but they weren't 5-9 and pulled from the scrap heap,either.

when you look closely through the potential grad transfer points, you quickly realize it's closer to looking for a needle in a haystack than to picking a new suit off the rack

I'm sure UConn said the same thing after their 2 titles in 3 years. Where are they now?

We have 5 open roster spots next season maybe more depending who or if anybody leaves. We have TWO guards on the roster next season (and that's if Battle comes back) and a maybe at small forward who's a freshman.

We're not at catastrophe mode now, but if recruiting doesn't pick up big time we very well could be looking at some .500 seasons.

true; but they weren't 5-9 and pulled from the scrap heap,either.

when you look closely through the potential grad transfer points, you quickly realize it's closer to looking for a needle in a haystack than to picking a new suit off the rack

Scrap heap?

Asinine post.

From your last pod, it didn't seem you were that into Duarte, Correct? He sounded like he plays a bit out of control and maybe overestimates his shooting ability? I also can't see how anyone would expect him to be a PG option, especially next year.
As I noted, those games were from earlier in the season and he has been on a tear as of late. So maybe it took him and the team some time to build chemistry and trust. A buddy of mine saw him recently and said that he still shoots a high amount of 3's and long jumpers, but is more efficient and selective with the shots. He has tools and upside to be a good player in the future, but it was easy to see that he needs some serious coaching and development to play and be successful in a structured setting. Jacking up off balanced and step back 3's like Steph Curry won't cut it.

Scrap heap?

Asinine post.
Yup. John Gillon has not been the problem this season. And neither have White, Lydon, Thompson or Battle. It has been the rest of the roster. Pretty much the entire rest of the roster.

I know. Disaster waiting to happen and catastrophe really is a just a play on words on my behalf (risk management background) as I was exaggerating. However, I do think our point guard situation has been an issue and a major contributing factor as to why we have struggled so much the past three years and have been nothing more than a middle of the pack, mediocre ACC team. The conference record speaks for itself in that regard. I know though...2 FF's in 4 years. It has been mentioned here many times by the accompanied crowd you apparently align yourself with. That's fine, opinions vary.

Last edited:
Whoever it is hopefully they can pull us out of mediocrity. It's depressing to have no hope against some of these teams like UNC and Louisville.

some of these teams like UNC
I'm not sure what team played UVA last night - they were godawful and I think even SU could have beat them with Flu-ridden Battle.

Whoever it is hopefully they can pull us out of mediocrity. It's depressing to have no hope against some of these teams like UNC and Louisville.

You realize we're still being punished by the NCAA, right?

At this time last year, no one here had ever heard of John Gillon.
there are several kids with good numbers, and hopefully we can turn up a lucky penny again, but we should be realistic about what's out there. It's not at all clear that there are any experienced candidates even as good as FrankHowardWashington, let alone upgrades

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom