Why doesnt SU basketball utilize social media | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why doesnt SU basketball utilize social media

Let me clarify my post and i hope that im wrong. SU football seems to put a greater emphasis on using social media as a recruiting tool than SU Basketball. Please post some recent examples of SUs staff using social media as a tool for Jackson. I could simply be missing it.

College Football puts a greater emphasis on social media than College Basketball.

It's not a basketball thing.

Let me clarify my post and i hope that im wrong. SU football seems to put a greater emphasis on using social media as a recruiting tool than SU Basketball. Please post some recent examples of SUs staff using social media as a tool for Jackson. I could simply be missing it.

Is there an example of football using social media to recruit a specific hs football player?

Please indicate a usage of SU’s verified football account posting anything on social media to recruit a specific individual.

You won’t be able to find anything because it’s against NCAA rules. They’re allowed to retweet stuff and that’s it. Babers posts the orange and then retweets the commitment. Should Boeheim do this? Sure, probably. But there are a lot less commits and as has already been mentioned, there are other college coaches that don’t do this, many very successful.

Now if you want to argue the SU football staff has an off-the-books team creating stuff that they put out on their own, that’s conjecture and cannot be proven. They do create edits that they send to recruits through DM, that is true. But as has been said here, that is done a lot less in basketball than it is in football. So that doesn’t move the needle.

Are you sure it’s working for football? If all JB signed were three star players he would be crucified. Let’s me know when the football program starts to sign four and five star players who aren’t kickers.

You think kids choose a school based on this though? It’s a small bonus but not in the Top 5-10 factors that any kid uses to pick a school, IMO.

For better or worse, it's part of the brand.

For better or worse, it's part of the brand.

True. But let’s go down the list that actually matters:

- Level of competition/conference
- Playing Time
- Program NBA Players
- Facilities
- Relationship with coaches
- Proximity to home (positive & negative connotations)
- Quality of education (for some)
- TV/scout exposure

Off the top of my head. Would list all before Twitter account.

Eh, if you're not good at it, why bother. I mean, he could get someone to tweet for him, but not sure it really matters - it would probably just come off as disingenuous with a guy like JB. Maybe for some 32 year old coach it would seem more genuine as perhaps they've got some social media stuff to express themselves about.

Anyway, never thought much about the topic, so, no clue other than some guesses above.

Anyway, my Mom tweets, before she got into that I used to think she was great, now I think she's lame. Should have stayed on Pinterest. C'mon, MOM!

Is there an example of football using social media to recruit a specific hs football player?
No not a " specific" player. Just an overall utilization of social media to build and enhance the brand. La Familia.

If the op is talking about specific videos for recruits like the football team does, i dont see that utilized in basketball as much. And i mean overall not at syracuse.

To expand on this post, maybe the op has a point and it could be utilized more. Just because some arent doing it, doesnt mean we cant. We could trailblaze as it couldnt hurt. That being said, basketball coaches can give me more personal attention to recruits because you recruit fewer players. Might somewhat obviate the need for all the social media stuff.

A few years ago there were some who argued against those "NY's College Team" signs on taxicabs. My POV is similar in this situation; "Why not"? If it attracts the attention of even one recruit, or ESPN, or students, than where's the harm?
I love the FB social media postings- some of them are very creative, & really really good. Never quite got the point of the "get off my lawn" crowd. I don't always understand social media, but just like auto-tune, the Kardashians,, and "mumble rap", its here to stay...for better or worse. ;)

A few years ago there were some who argued against those "NY's College Team" signs on taxicabs. My POV is similar in this situation; "Why not"? If it attracts the attention of even one recruit, or ESPN, or students, than where's the harm?
I love the FB social media postings- some of them are very creative, & really really good. Never quite got the point of the "get off my lawn" crowd. I don't always understand social media, but just like auto-tune, the Kardashians,, and "mumble rap", its here to stay...for better or worse. ;)

I don't think there's any question that the basketball program doesn't put out the content that the football program does through social media.

That doesn't mean that what they're doing is bad. That doesn't mean that they aren't doing what they have resourced for.

Different organizations are structured different ways. I know for a fact that football has hired staff solely with the purpose of creating content for social media. Basketball, to my knowledge, doesn't have a similar staff member.

I also see the school focusing on making football great again. There isn't as much emphasis being placed on basketball because quite frankly, they know they are going to sell a ton of tickets regardless. Now does that hurt recruiting? Possibly. Do I think the inferior product on the court as it relates to style of play has more to do with it? Yes. I absolutely do.

Check out the football recruits reaction to the first episode just released and you will realize that it does matter. Dino came to SU and immediately embraced and promoted the strengths of our program, most notably our storied history and the Dome.
SU basketball has so much to promote that a similar campaign could be amazing. Focus on JB from his early playing days through Manley to the Big East, the Dome, Team USA, Record crowds and of course epic wins and amazing players. Touch on Jims crusade against Cancer. Simply put there is such a treasure trove of material that with the same emphasis that the football program is putting forth the basketball and Lacrosse programs would crush it.

Yeah but he doesn't count cause he sucks.
Sucks how, player, coach,recruiting? I think Gmac was an exceptional college player, hes a good coach and a good recruiter. The issue is he is being charged with replacing Hop who is an exceptional coach and recruiter.

Sucks how, player, coach,recruiting? I think Gmac was an exceptional college player, hes a good coach and a good recruiter. The issue is he is being charged with replacing Hop who is an exceptional coach and recruiter.

Actually no. Autry is the lead assistant. Sometimes it's really hard to take you seriously because I don't think you pay attention to detail.

Actually no. Autry is the lead assistant. Sometimes it's really hard to take you seriously because I don't think you pay attention to detail.
I admit, my focus does waiver when it comes to certain posters.

Check out the football recruits reaction to the first episode just released and you will realize that it does matter. Dino came to SU and immediately embraced and promoted the strengths of our program, most notably our storied history and the Dome.
SU basketball has so much to promote that a similar campaign could be amazing. Focus on JB from his early playing days through Manley to the Big East, the Dome, Team USA, Record crowds and of course epic wins and amazing players. Touch on Jims crusade against Cancer. Simply put there is such a treasure trove of material that with the same emphasis that the football program is putting forth the basketball and Lacrosse programs would crush it.

They just put this out a few days ago.

Never let facts get in the way of a good rant though.

Yeah but he doesn't count cause he sucks.

If the op is talking about specific videos for recruits like the football team does, i dont see that utilized in basketball as much. And i mean overall not at syracuse.

You mean the stuff that fans make? Because the football staff cannot make those videos lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom