Why is it tOSU? | Syracusefan.com

Why is it tOSU?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
do they have an evil twin?

The Orange - Syracuse University

Or at least we are the kryptonite, not an evil twin.

Ohio st fans are snobs who say that OSU is okie st. University. They pride themselves on being THE Ohio st. Makes me throw up in my mouth a little

It's because they are "better" than every one else. "THEE OHIO STATE"

Because they think they're prestigious and every reference to their school name needs a "The" in front of it, or in that case a 't'.

I'm pretty sure it's part of their official name. My alma mater added the "The" to the official name, as well.

I'm pretty sure it's part of their official name. My alma mater added the "The" to the official name, as well.

Think it has something to do with they are the only state university in Ohio, or am i totally making that up?

Think it has something to do with they are the only state university in Ohio, or am i totally making that up?

OhioBobcats.png

275x275.jpg

dyrky5xof3z0e3j41gxde75rh.gif

rocketbios.jpg

etc.

Because they think they're prestigious and every reference to their school name needs a "The" in front of it, or in that case a 't'.

Its not The Harvard University is it?

Its not The Harvard University is it?
There are many Harvard Universities. Every wannabe Ivy League school says they are the Harvard of the midwest or the southwest, etc.

It's because Ohio State is the flagship university of the Ohio college system. Think of it as The Ohio, State University (similar to SUNY schools). As an alumnus of both schools, this game will be a nightmare.

There are many Harvard Universities. Every wannabe Ivy League school says they are the Harvard of the midwest or the southwest, etc.

In the words of Lisa Simpson, "Anything that's the something of something isn't the anything of anything."

It's because Ohio State is the flagship university of the Ohio college system. Think of it as The Ohio, State University (similar to SUNY schools). As an alumnus of both schools, this game will be a nightmare.
Should Buffalo be 'The Buffalo'?

OhioBobcats.png

275x275.jpg

dyrky5xof3z0e3j41gxde75rh.gif

rocketbios.jpg

etc.

I was thinking more like there are multiple University of North Carolina's; I thought I had read it was the only Ohio State, but I just looked it up, apparently there are smaller campuses in other cities. So I was wrong

I don't know but the other night I was at a meeting and someone took offense at Ukraine being referred to as "the" Ukraine. So maybe The Ohio State considers itself to be greater than Ukraine?

Why are we called "THE" Ohio State University"?
In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.
However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:
"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"
Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.
Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.

From their website, fwiw.

I don't know but the other night I was at a meeting and someone took offense at Ukraine being referred to as "the" Ukraine. So maybe The Ohio State considers itself to be greater than Ukraine?

The Ukraine is weak.

OSUC - Ohio State University @ Columbus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom