Why no Washington in second half. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why no Washington in second half.

In the first half the team did go on a mini run with Washington in the game but Girard got hot in the second half and JB rode the hot hand, as he usually does. Washington is a low risk steady kind of player who is an effective play maker but doesn't offer much in the way of scoring.

When we scored 16 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half, what hot hands were we riding? It's fine, JB goes short bench, but we weren't riding anything...we were just rolling with our guys until they got hot.

Two ways Buddy can help with this. Stop letting passes get easily between him and Joe. Not an easy task, I know. And then help out on the boards. Just collapsing down to get his nose in there will help, even just a little bit.

But I agree, it wasn't Buddy that was the problem. Would like to see him with his hand up on one of those last 3s by #3, but that's all of our guards for a long time now. Their arms are down until they get to the shooter, which usually means it's too late.

There's some issue with personnel and then there's issues we are having with positioning on defense. For instance we were up 4 and Marek left Mooney wide open underneath for a layup with 1:30 left. Girard gambles far too much. That stuff is fixable. Just play good positioned defense and you give yourself a shot.

There's some issue with personnel and then there's issues we are having with positioning on defense. For instance we were up 4 and Marek left Mooney wide open underneath for a layup with 1:30 left. Girard gambles far too much. That stuff is fixable. Just play good positioned defense and you give yourself a shot.
With Durham out, there should be no excuse for leaving Mooney open. Ever.

I agree with you. Seems like the zone is taking far longer to 'get right' this year. Which is odd as we have 4 guys playing it who have done so for some time. It's not all Joe's fault.

Two ways Buddy can help with this. Stop letting passes get easily between him and Joe. Not an easy task, I know. And then help out on the boards. Just collapsing down to get his nose in there will help, even just a little bit.

But I agree, it wasn't Buddy that was the problem. Would like to see him with his hand up on one of those last 3s by #3, but that's all of our guards for a long time now. Their arms are down until they get to the shooter, which usually means it's too late.

Yes, and they're all guilty of that at times.

Also, transition defense. Sidibe's phantom 3rd foul, IIRC, came as Buddy ever so slowly trailed the ballhandler for the length of the court without getting close to stopping the ball. Both our starting guards struggle with this, though at least Buddy (unlike the other guy) seems somewhat familiar with the practice of rotating back when a shot goes up.

Yes, and they're all guilty of that at times.

Also, transition defense. Sidibe's phantom 3rd foul, IIRC, came as Buddy ever so slowly trailed the ballhandler for the length of the court without getting close to stopping the ball. Both our starting guards struggle with this, though at least Buddy (unlike the other guy) seems somewhat familiar with the practice of rotating back when a shot goes up.
This has to be a product of Joe being the only shooter on his previous team.

Dolezaj's a funny player.

He does so many positive things that make me think he's got above-average smarts.

But then he does a lot of WTH things (the cheap fouls, those defensive lapses you mention, and the free throws). Seems like he loses focus.

Dolezaj's a funny player.

He does so many positive things that make me think he's got above-average smarts.

But then he does a lot of WTH things (the cheap fouls, those defensive lapses you mention, and the free throws). Seems like he loses focus.
Passing the ball directly out of bounds or to the opponent (had a few of those)

Man this thread is terrible. There are always bad threads after we lose, and they always say the same thing which is essentially - since we lost, every random move the coach made was obviously a mistake - but this is the worst of them.

Why didn't Washington play in the second half?

Because Joe Girard scored 15 points on 4-8 shooting and 3-6 from three ... in the second half alone!

And Buddy scored 14 points on 5-9 shooting and 4-7 from three ... again second half stats only.

If you think Washington is capable of doing the same, please do me a favor and give up on basketball, its not for you.

Man this thread is terrible. There are always bad threads after we lose, and they always say the same thing which is essentially - since we lost, every random move the coach made was obviously a mistake - but this is the worst of them.

Because Joe Girard scored 15 points on 4-8 shooting and 3-6 from three ... in the second half alone!

And Buddy scored 14 points on 5-9 shooting and 4-7 from three ... again second half stats only.

If you think Washington is capable of doing the same, please do me a favor and give up on basketball, its not for you.
Washington was fine giving those guys a blow in the first which is what he is. There’s nothing wrong with that. But this notion of “playing your bench” extended minutes ins close game in the second presumes JB doesn’t know what his players are capable of and/or that he doesn’t want to win. Neither of which is true!

Washington was fine giving those guys a blow in the first which is what he is. There’s nothing wrong with that. But this notion of “playing your bench” extended minutes ins close game in the second presumes JB doesn’t know what his players are capable of and/or that he doesn’t want to win. Neither of which is true!

Also Boeheim and Girard were having a historically good second half, its not like they were tiring out or unproductive.

This is a surprising post. You're a better poster than resorting to both the condescension and the disregard (or casual manipulation) of facts.

Girard scored how many points in the stretch where SU's lead was erased and an eight-point deficit opened up? I don't have a gamecast handy, but it wasn't 15. I'm thinking it was 5. This was the time when some here wondered why the guy whose minutes coincided with a first-half run and our best player's most effective offensive play wasn't in the game.

This is a surprising post. You're a better poster than resorting to both the condescension and the disregard (or casual manipulation) of facts.

Girard scored how many points in the stretch where SU's lead was erased and an eight-point deficit opened up? I don't have a gamecast handy, but it wasn't 15. I'm thinking it was 5. This was the time when some here wondered why the guy whose minutes coincided with a first-half run and our best player's most effective offensive play wasn't in the game.
His press has gone to his head.

Not sure anyone has EVER once argued in the history of the board that HoWa should get minutes based upon his prolific scoring ability...…….have they? Even once?

Not even sure who you're taunting in this post. Kinda just trying to praise yourself...

Terrible that we don't have play by play to go by for this game, but here you go on Girard.

Irish Claim 3-Point Battle, 88-87 - Syracuse University Athletics
GIRARD EXPLODES
Girard scored 10 consecutive Syracuse points, including two shots from behind the arc, to put the Orange on top, 79-75, with 3:37 to go in regulation. Syracuse held on to the lead until the game's final minute.

So, combine that with the 3 to end the game, and to me it appears that Joe scored maybe 2 points in the first 10 minutes (or more) of the second half. NOT EXACTLY SETTING THE WORLD ON FIRE!

Also Boeheim and Girard were having a historically good second half, its not like they were tiring out or unproductive.
we went 3-7 last ten games last year. mega minutes take their toll. if not in the second half of the game then certainly the second half of the season. elijah and buddy are both top 100 in the ncaas currently mpg.

I hear what you are saying but think we should have given some minutes to Washington maybe 5 in the 2nd half. JG3 gave up multiple 3's and made so many mistakes on defense. I think Washington is capable of playing better defense and distributes the ball well. I don't think it makes sense to play Buddy 40 min and JG3 34 a night.

Not sure what you are saying.

The stats I gave are the stats that Girard put up on the entire second half of the game. 15 points on 50% shooting is a great half of basketball is it not? That's why he never got benched. Coaches don't usually bench players who are lighting it up.

Washington has not proven capable of putting up numbers anywhere close to that, correct?

we went 3-7 last ten games last year. mega minutes take their toll. if not in the second half of the game then certainly the second half of the season. elijah and buddy are both top 100 in the ncaas currently mpg.

So you don't think that playing Duke (the number 1 team in the country) twice, Virginia (the number 2 team in the country), and North Carolina (the number 5 team in the country) explains their record, but you do think that playing a back up guard five extra minutes explains it?

the above mentioned programs manage their minutes. google the list. as noted above Carey plays 24 mpg.

Yup.

I guess you could put him in for 30 seconds if there is a stoppage at around 12:16 with the intention of reinserting JG3/Buddy after the timeout but thats not really fair to Washington is it kind of a hard spot to play well and not make a mistake and is only gonna get those guys a little more rest. They have the TV timeouts to sit.

JG seemed out of sorts most of the game to my eye. Slow on loose balls and not diving or aggressively pursuing the 50/50 balls. I posted earlier he seemed off until he got punked and that got his energy level up. I wonder if he and Eli were sick as both seemed to have lower energy than usual.

JG has more rebounds than Buddy and and leads the team in steals. He has the same amount of blocked shots (2) as Buddy who is much taller. I know this is more about JG v. HW but hard to compare status when HW does not play much.

Not sure what you are saying.

The stats I gave are the stats that Girard put up on the entire second half of the game. 15 points on 50% shooting is a great half of basketball is it not? That's why he never got benched. Coaches don't usually bench players who are lighting it up.

Washington has not proven capable of putting up numbers anywhere close to that, correct?
He didn't do that until the second half of the second half.

This thread is picking fly crap out of the pepper. There are bigger issues with this season and probably next season as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom