Why no Washington in second half. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why no Washington in second half.

He rebounds better is 4 inches taller and much quicker/longer than Joe. Howard plays much better D than Joe its not even close.
You have to answer honestly on this one. Did you just throw the 4 inches out there and hope no one noticed? You watch the games. Howard isn't 4 inches taller than Girard.

You have to answer honestly on this one. Did you just throw the 4 inches out there and hope no one noticed? You watch the games. Howard isn't 4 inches taller than Girard.
I do watch the games and Joe is 6 feet at most. Im 6'3 and a solid 3 inches taller than him and Howard is taller than me. Might be the hair but Howard is taller. Are you saying they are the same height?

I do watch the games and Joe is 6 feet at most. Im 6'3 and a solid 3 inches taller than him and Howard is taller than me. Might be the hair but Howard is taller. Are you saying they are the same height?
Did I say they were the same height? No. I didn't. But I'm saying they are not 4 inches different.

Did I say they were the same height? No. I didn't. But I'm saying they are not 4 inches different.
It doesn't matter. Six and half a dozen. Lets stack them on top of each other and have them play the 5:).

Washington gets Hughes involved better, JG3 looks to Buddy more the Hughes. I don't think it is intentional just habit.
This is the key right here. It's not just getting him involved, HoWash brings the ball up and puts it immediately in Eli's hands to start the play. Good things happen when your best player initiates the offense, even if it means he's initiating for himself.

But Joe also shot the ball well in the 2nd half. Does the better defense make up for the loss of scoring, if Joe sits?
Why do people think it has to be one or the other? Why can't we blend in small doses of Howard with the majority for Joe? Then we get a few moments of better defense and still get the shooting of Joe. Buddy could take a few minutes on the bench as well. Wouldn't kill him or the team.

Why do people think it has to be one or the other? Why can't we blend in small doses of Howard with the majority for Joe? Then we get a few moments of better defense and still get the shooting of Joe. Buddy could take a few minutes on the bench as well. Wouldn't kill him or the team.

I think if you read the threads you would find the answer - the team would fall apart, we could not score, and we would start losing games!

When it's two different players with two different skill sets you're trading one for the other when they replace one another. Girard can't score when he's sitting. Washington can't defend when he's sitting. It's up to the coach to decide which trade off is most beneficial. So yeah, you can blend them, and you'll get blended results. Of course, when you do that, you're also taking a chance that a guy may not get into a rhythm, especially when you're talking about a shooter.

Last edited:
When it's two different players with two different skill sets you're trading one for the other when they replace one another. Girard can't score when he sitting. Washington can defend when he's sitting. It's up to the coach to decide which trade off is most beneficial. So yeah, you can blend them, and you'll get blended results. Of course, when you do that, you're also taking a chance that a guy may not get into a rhythm, especially when you're talking about a shooter.
Well, since SU lost that last game, I guess I'm right and JB was wrong. Clearly that's the only conclusion that can be made.

I think we've all noticed that Eli tends to have a rough time getting started in the second half for some reason. I've got an idea. Sit Buddy or Joe during the first 5 minutes of the second half, get HoWash in there so Eli can get going, and now we've got a winning formula. Better defense, better offense from our best player, and a kick start to the rest of the squad.

Well, since SU lost that last game, I guess I'm right and JB was wrong. Clearly that's the only conclusion that can be made.

I think we've all noticed that Eli tends to have a rough time getting started in the second half for some reason. I've got an idea. Sit Buddy or Joe during the first 5 minutes of the second half, get HoWash in there so Eli can get going, and now we've got a winning formula. Better defense, better offense from our best player, and a kick start to the rest of the squad.
There ya go.

My Roster number 23 version 2.3
Washington 1
Hughes 2
Guerrier 3
Marek 4
Edwards 5

Wait for it... Go back to ISO ball. Hughes. Let Edwards and Marek set the screens. Both have great hands and would actually be threats to score off the roll. Plus the zone would have some real size.

My Roster number 23 version 2.3
Washington 1
Hughes 2
Guerrier 3
Marek 4
Edwards 5

Wait for it... Go back to ISO ball. Hughes. Let Edwards and Marek set the screens. Both have great hands and would actually be threats to score off the roll. Plus the zone would have some real size.

oh ffs this is stupid. Only a moron would take Buddy off the court the way he’s played the past 6 games.

He rebounds better is 4 inches taller and much quicker/longer than Joe. Howard plays much better D than Joe its not even close.

I'm not sure any of this is true.

Having said that, I think Washington is a fine back up though and it's nice to see a natural PG initiating the offense for spells during the game. As Gabjon mentioned, he did well to get Hughes involved, and as a natural PG, is just plain better at circulating the ball with rhythm than any of our other guards (all of whom are scorers first).

I think if you read the threads you would find the answer - the team would fall apart, we could not score, and we would start losing games!

I suggest we substitute HoWa for JGIII during one of his long stretches of not being able to get anything to go down. That way we would just be trading defense for defense.

He’s only shooting 40 percent from 3! That’s should be no less than 50%!

With the exception of his last miss, he followed up just about every Notre Dame run with a made shot himself. Since Georgia Tech he's averaging 20 ppg and shooting 32 of 68 from 3. He was far from the problem Saturday. Hold Mooney to 20 and 10 and we win.

I thought Washington played well too but there was an issue with #3, that Hugg kid, and Howard where he got pretty upset at Hugg. JB took him out shortly afterwards. A guy sitting behind us said that the Hugg kid was a punk , getting into Washington’s head and ticking him off . I did see Hugg grabbing Howard’s jersey, bumping, face guarding but not when Washington got visibly upset and was pulled.

Yeah, and before he got pulled, Boeheim took Washington off the ball for a possession or two and Hughes initiated the offense. I don't know if #3 was in Washington's head or just too physical for him, but it was a tough matchup.

That said, it's not a coincidence that we played well with Washington in the game. When we got down 8, it seemed like a good time to revisit that lineup.

With the exception of his last miss, he followed up just about every Notre Dame run with a made shot himself. Since Georgia Tech he's averaging 20 ppg and shooting 32 of 68 from 3. He was far from the problem Saturday. Hold Mooney to 20 and 10 and we win.

Or, if we could've gotten Guerrier to bank in just one more three. ;)

I don’t think it’s worth bad mouthing another player to make a point but I honestly don’t get all the frustration about not playing HW. He’s fine out there but JB is actually going to go with the guys that can light up (and that’s JG).

Yeah, and before he got pulled, Boeheim took Washington off the ball for a possession or two and Hughes initiated the offense. I don't know if #3 was in Washington's head or just too physical for him, but it was a tough matchup.

That said, it's not a coincidence that we played well with Washington in the game. When we got down 8, it seemed like a good time to revisit that lineup.

I think you forgot to include all the threes we would have made if Washington was NOT in the game in your calculations of how well we played! It's an immeasurable amount!

Therefore, you have failed in your conclusion that we played well.

I don’t think it’s worth bad mouthing another player to make a point but I honestly don’t get all the frustration about not playing HW. He’s fine out there but JB is actually going to go with the guys that can light up (and that’s JG).

I think at times we may need other guys that can play - as we pretty much roll with a position-less player at SG, a not-really a PG yet at PG and eventually we may square off against teams that aren't as bad on defense as some of the teams we have played of late. If the shots aren't falling...we may need a facilitator other than the occasional effort by Hughes or Marek. And our defense is really, really, really bad.

Two ways Buddy can help with this. Stop letting passes get easily between him and Joe. Not an easy task, I know. And then help out on the boards. Just collapsing down to get his nose in there will help, even just a little bit.

But I agree, it wasn't Buddy that was the problem. Would like to see him with his hand up on one of those last 3s by #3, but that's all of our guards for a long time now. Their arms are down until they get to the shooter, which usually means it's too late.

Team really played well with him out there in the first half. He turned the game around.
In the first half the team did go on a mini run with Washington in the game but Girard got hot in the second half and JB rode the hot hand, as he usually does. Washington is a low risk steady kind of player who is an effective play maker but doesn't offer much in the way of scoring.

In the first half the team did go on a mini run with Washington in the game but Girard got hot in the second half and JB rode the hot hand, as he usually does. Washington is a low risk steady kind of player who is an effective play maker but doesn't offer much in the way of scoring.
Why does that matter if he's getting others to score?

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom