Why no Washington in second half. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why no Washington in second half.

Terrible that we don't have play by play to go by for this game, but here you go on Girard.

Irish Claim 3-Point Battle, 88-87 - Syracuse University Athletics
GIRARD EXPLODES
Girard scored 10 consecutive Syracuse points, including two shots from behind the arc, to put the Orange on top, 79-75, with 3:37 to go in regulation. Syracuse held on to the lead until the game's final minute.

So, combine that with the 3 to end the game, and to me it appears that Joe scored maybe 2 points in the first 10 minutes (or more) of the second half. NOT EXACTLY SETTING THE WORLD ON FIRE!

As an aside, when did ESPN (which seems to offer less value every year) do away with the gamecasts?

As an aside, when did ESPN (which seems to offer less value every year) do away with the gamecasts?
I've seen them multiple times this year, so it feels like this was different this time.

Not sure what you are saying.

The stats I gave are the stats that Girard put up on the entire second half of the game. 15 points on 50% shooting is a great half of basketball is it not? That's why he never got benched. Coaches don't usually bench players who are lighting it up.

Washington has not proven capable of putting up numbers anywhere close to that, correct?

Correct, I think that's even been mentioned - Girard can score 10 points in 2 minutes and I don't think Washington can. But it's strange to look at the half as a single unit of basketball; Girard was flat for I think at least ten minutes while Notre Dame extended a lead. It's not unreasonable at all for people to wonder why the superior defender and plus/minus stud was on the bench during that time. (If someone wanted to argue that it's because Boeheim crossed his fingers and hoped that a technical foul would enrage Girard to the point that his shots started going, that too would be strange.)

Terrible that we don't have play by play to go by for this game, but here you go on Girard.

Irish Claim 3-Point Battle, 88-87 - Syracuse University Athletics
GIRARD EXPLODES
Girard scored 10 consecutive Syracuse points, including two shots from behind the arc, to put the Orange on top, 79-75, with 3:37 to go in regulation. Syracuse held on to the lead until the game's final minute.

So, combine that with the 3 to end the game, and to me it appears that Joe scored maybe 2 points in the first 10 minutes (or more) of the second half. NOT EXACTLY SETTING THE WORLD ON FIRE!

As someone who isn't much of a HoWa fan, I don't know that I have a dog in this fight, other than I can see the reasons for him getting minutes as a facilitator and certainly see it as a rational, defensible argument.

I'm not sure I see the rationale behind "his numbers validated ALL the second half PT" as it's pretty much a box score analysis. He scored 15 points! He was on fire ALL GAME!!! That's pretty much the same argument as the one being made. Why wouldn't you extend it to the entire game? HoWa should not have played in the first half! We likely lost this game due to those HW minutes because JGIII was on fire...late in the second half.

Anyway...

Correct, I think that's even been mentioned - Girard can score 10 points in 2 minutes and I don't think Washington can. But it's strange to look at the half as a single unit of basketball; Girard was flat for I think at least ten minutes while Notre Dame extended a lead. It's not unreasonable at all for people to wonder why the superior defender and plus/minus stud was on the bench during that time. (If someone wanted to argue that it's because Boeheim crossed his fingers and hoped that a technical foul would enrage Girard to the point that his shots started going, that too would be strange.)

Isn't the fact that Girard went-off proof that Boeheim was right to keep him in? Odd to say you wish he was on the bench when you know that him being on the court lead to him having a great half.

Isn't the fact that Girard went-off proof that Boeheim was right to keep him in? Odd to say you wish he was on the bench when you know that him being on the court lead to him having a great half.
It was a valiant and plucky effort. Still, it was a losing effort.

You're supposing that by not sitting him early in the second half, the strong end of half occurred? As if there is some sort of actual causal relationship that you can use as proof of something? This is such bizarro-world reasoning...I can show proof of pretty much anything using this logic and a box score!!

1578363009451.png

It was good keeping Girard in I think. He made 4 out of his last 5 threes or something like that.

ND went on something like a 8-2 run to start the half. That would have been the time for washington if any. Our toughest loss of the year with no comparison. We needed one stop the last 10 ND possessions to win, and couldn't find it.

JGIII went off for about 6 minutes in the second half. If you are basing the claim that he deserved to play the whole game based on those 6 minutes of brilliance, should you also not say Washington should have played because the team was +8 in his 6 minutes of play?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom