Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game?? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game??

After the last 2 weeks it's clear only a win next Sat will save Babers job (5% chance). If your Wildhack you pulling the trigger tomorrow or Monday or giving until after the Pitt game?
He's ain't going anywhere just yet. But it's getting warmer.

sad illustration GIF by Kochstrasse™

Yeah, that’s why I try to get people to look past it - a smarter fan base will push the admin to make better decisions

Or we can just fire coaches every 2 seasons like the SEC

Nobody is looking for DB to be fired after 2 years or even after 2 bad years. We won 1 game last year and have 5/6 losing seasons. It’s actually not some crazy thing for a college to replace a guy with 5 losing seasons out of 6. What’s crazy is, he’s still here and prob next year too.

My apologies I completely butchered the math the first go round. Babers is barely better than Shafer and he really should be let go over it.

Overall
SS .378 / DB .408

Conference
SS .291 / DB .306

But but it’s the ACC so that conf win % is really like 70% when you factor in level of competition. And we beat Clemson once.

But but it’s the ACC so that conf win % is really like 70% when you factor in level of competition. And we beat Clemson once.

Shafer was in the ACC as well so unfortunately his percentage would have to be bumped up to 67.8%. Still almost the same as Dino. ;-)

***plus Shafer played Penn State, Northwestern, Maryland 2x, Notre Dame, LSU, and South Florida. I'm amused.

If you think SU is hopeless then there’s really no downside to churning through coaches every 3-4 seasons and hoping one miraculously hits. Otherwise, what status quo are we protecting exactly?

I suspect Dino is retained, but I’m not at all afraid of moving on. It’s been six years, he’s nothing special. He had one excellent year, and I appreciate that. But lots of mediocre coaches have managed to catch lightning in a bottle for a season. Mike McCarthy won a Super Bowl, after all. Crazy stuff happens.

If we move on and the next guy doesn’t pan out, what have we lost really?

I say let's become the spot for whiz kid offensive minds to use the Dome as their lab. If some of them have excellent seasons and leave that's part of the deal.

My apologies I completely butchered the math the first go round. Babers is barely better than Shafer and he really should be let go over it.

Overall
SS .378 / DB .408

Conference
SS .291 / DB .306
I think it’s 50/50 but trending down at the moment. If we don’t beat PITT, it’s going to be dicey imo.

That’s a cop out and you know it. You can’t say Babers is better then his record because of injuries and also say that we wouldn’t have probably made bowls all 3 shafer years with a healthier dungey
Why does one have to be better than the other? Why can’t they just be different? The situations are very different.

Also you do know Dungey was only with shafer for a year right?

I still haven't heard one good reason to keep Babers besides we save money on a buyout?
He won 10 games in a season, beat #2 Clemson, recruited a RB worthy of #44 - none of which happened in the last two decades

I know there’s a lot of powder in the reasons to move on too - but the case “for” isn’t without some highlights

I still haven't heard one good reason to keep Babers besides we save money on a buyout?
What more of a reason do you need? Pay two coaches next year to likely get the same result, why is that a good idea?

I think we just spin our wheels if we compare SS to Dino, SS was a hire to try and keep momentum that Doug Marrone had going. He was paid much much less then Dino and when he failed and it was clear it wasn’t getting better he got fired. Dino needs to same treatment. There are coaches out there with Syracuse ties that may or may not want to come here, but have coached at major programs and have had success before. If Dino beats Pitt then he should get one more year, if he does not then this needs to be the end of it. And I would be looking at Ed O, Dan Mullin and of course bring back Doug Marrone if he would even be interested.

Overall
SS .378 / DB .408

Conference
SS .291 / DB .306

Shafer should have been fired. Dino was hired to improve the program. Has he?

vs P5 schools

Shafer
8-22 .267
O 18.4 ppg
D 29.2 ppg
minus 10.8 ppg

Dino
16-39 .291 with a loss to Pitt .286
O 24.7 ppg (up 6.3 ppg)
D 34.2 ppg (up 5 ppg)
minus 9.5 ppg (1.3 ppg better)

Also don't forget the Middle Tennessee loss which was only GRob had done.

I've heard that number here and wonder if it makes sense, if he only has 2 years left on his contract. That would mean he's getting paid at least 5 million/year and his buyout is as high as his contract. So I can't imagine it's that high.
Here’s the problem I see. If Dino fails next year you’ll be paying 7.5 out. Then you’re three years till a new coach gets his players in. That’s 4 more years of dumpster fires this staff has left us to deal with. Is 3 million worth 4 more years of this or tighten the belt and pay it now

I think we just spin our wheels if we compare SS to Dino, SS was a hire to try and keep momentum that Doug Marrone had going. He was paid much much less then Dino and when he failed and it was clear it wasn’t getting better he got fired. Dino needs to same treatment. There are coaches out there with Syracuse ties that may or may not want to come here, but have coached at major programs and have had success before. If Dino beats Pitt then he should get one more year, if he does not then this needs to be the end of it. And I would be looking at Ed O, Dan Mullin and of course bring back Doug Marrone if he would even be interested.
I would take Ed o in a second. He’s one of the best recruiters in the country. If he can’t bring in players no one can.

He won 10 games in a season, beat #2 Clemson, recruited a RB worthy of #44 - none of which happened in the last two decades

I know there’s a lot of powder in the reasons to move on too - but the case “for” isn’t without some highlights
What have you done for me lately. Tucker! Who is to say a new coach doesn’t keep him to me he’s a bargaining chip for a new hire. Look at my flashy rb you will have if you come here.

Shafer should have been fired. Dino was hired to improve the program. Has he?

vs P5 schools

Shafer
8-22 .267
O 18.4 ppg
D 29.2 ppg
minus 10.8 ppg

Dino
16-39 .291 with a loss to Pitt .286
O 24.7 ppg (up 6.3 ppg)
D 34.2 ppg (up 5 ppg)
minus 9.5 ppg (1.3 ppg better)

Also don't forget the Middle Tennessee loss which was only GRob had done.

Schaefer should have been fired. And by the same criteria Babers should be fired now to

Does anyone find it troubling that the AD’s not come out and confirmed Dino’s our coach for 2022?

At least for recruiting and current personnel purposes?

This makes me think Dino’s gone with a loss saturday.
We can only hope

Schaefer should have been fired. And by the same criteria Babers should be fired now to
yep, there is no doubt that Shafer should have been canned, he had a new boss who watched him melt down week after week with Isis and "We're 3-0" speeches and then proceeded to lose 8 straight games, one of which his prized freshman QB is left in a 28 point blowout late in the game and gets injured for the second time that year. Babers won 10 games his third year which bought him more time. However, it is time for him to go too. Alas, money is probably going to be the deciding factor as it usually is

We all know what is going to happen. Dino will be retained for 2022 and Tucker will transfer, the worst of both worlds. Why? Because God seems to hate Syracuse football fans.

If that happens I think I’m done being a “fan”. I’ll casually watch from a distance but I’ll be a complete bandwagon fan if there’s ever a season in the future that’s decent.

It's not the same criteria. Shafer never was good enough to earn an extension.

But even with the one dream 10 win season his winning % is no better (and with 3 more seasons.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom