Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game?? | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game??

He won 10 games in a season, beat #2 Clemson, recruited a RB worthy of #44 - none of which happened in the last two decades

I know there’s a lot of powder in the reasons to move on too - but the case “for” isn’t without some highlights
Exactly. It's not GERG or Shafer transition. That's why alot of us are torn on this one. His record, frankly, stinks. His coaching, frankly, stinks.

The man, frankly, is a great representative of the school and the program.

This isn't easy to decide

Exactly. It's not GERG or Shafer transition. That's why alot of us are torn on this one. His record, frankly, stinks. His coaching, frankly, stinks.

Style over substance.

Well, we're in year 6 of the "fastest game on turf" and we have a have a QB that can't make basic throws...
I said whiz kids, think Chip Kelly at UNH. Young coaches with SU as their first HC job. Babers was over 50 when SU hired him.

Style over substance.
Who has done it better? Marrone didn’t coach vs an ACC schedule. Shafer, Robinson - no. P was a different era.

Doesn’t mean we can’t do better. We just *haven’t.* I’d be good with giving Marrone a chance or starting over with another HC, but realize we may not have another 10 win season or beat a top 2 Clemson or have a RB like Tucker for another 20 years.

That’s not style over substance.

Who has done it better? Marrone didn’t coach vs an ACC schedule. Shafer, Robinson - no. P was a different era.

Doesn’t mean we can’t do better. We just *haven’t.* I’d be good with giving Marrone a chance or starting over with another HC, but realize we may not have another 10 win season or beat a top 2 Clemson or have a RB like Tucker for another 20 years.

That’s not style over substance.
Like I said, JW will not fire Dino so I really don't see any profit in tearing him down, tho it is difficult to restrain myself.

I said whiz kids, think Chip Kelly at UNH. Young coaches with SU as their first HC job. Babers was over 50 when SU hired him.

So who's your number 1 whiz kid for the Cuse job?

If that happens I think I’m done being a “fan”. I’ll casually watch from a distance but I’ll be a complete bandwagon fan if there’s ever a season in the future that’s decent.
Agree and I think it’s headed that way.

We all know what is going to happen. Dino will be retained for 2022 and Tucker will transfer, the worst of both worlds. Why? Because God seems to hate Syracuse football fans.

I am expecting this, sadly.

Tucker's change of tune on the 44 jersey makes me think he'll be in the portal the day after PITT.

...And, yes, it will be proof positive that we are cursed. I blame baby jesus.

He isn’t going to do anything now, Dino owes Tuck a nice steak dinner.

I am expecting this, sadly.

Tucker's change of tune on the 44 jersey makes me think he'll be in the portal the day after PITT.

...And, yes, it will be proof positive that we are cursed. I blame baby jesus.

We can always fire Dino the week after Pitt.

Sure.
Wildhack ain't getting fired. The football coach will probably be his next big decision, and he might even be picking a new men's BB coach in the same year if JB retires.

The guy has done a great job raising money and making connections with big $ donors which is 80% of his job.

If his picks for FB and BB flop he might, emphasis on might,be out of a job, but that Jury will be out for another 3-5 years. So his job is safe for at least that long.

Wildhack ain't getting fired. The football coach will probably be his next big decision, and he might even be picking a new men's BB coach in the same year if JB retires.

The guy has done a great job raising money and making connections with big $ donors which is 80% of his job.

If his picks for FB and BB flop he might, emphasis on might,be out of a job, but that Jury will be out for another 3-5 years. So his job is safe for at least that long.

You are probably right.

I would point out some negatives:
  • Half-full f'ball dome games after facilities renovations complete
  • Asleep at the wheel for the women's b-ball fiasco
  • Poor handling of the LAX scandal Desko/Scanlon
As you state, big money is 80% of his job and only the 1st point falls into that category - and that's tied to resurrecting the football program and the wheels currently spinning in the mud (Babers vs. new hire).

What's the over/under Wildhack gets fired before Dino?
Wildhack nor Dino is getting fired however, Gilbert needs to go right after Saturdays game game clock hits 00:00.

I would take Ed o in a second. He’s one of the best recruiters in the country. If he can’t bring in players no one can.
Ed O has baggage packed as high as the ceiling in my house. He’s never coming here lol

Actually, in my opinion, it's really not that difficult to decide, if indeed, football truly matters. A head football coach, especially at the P5 level, #1, #2 and #3 priority is to WIN football games. That's what a head football coach at this level gets hired to do, and paid so incredibly handsome for. Dino handling himself well off the field, and being a good ambassador for Syracuse University is nice, but it's consequential and or secondary in nature.

Can you imagine being a Sales Manager and have one of your Sale Representatives consistently not SELL. And, argue to your superior Division Mgr. or anyone that listens, but you should see his/her paperwork, it's impeccable! There is never any issues with contracts, mistakes, etc. and, by the way, the office/administrative folk simply love him/her...so sweet! I don't think that would fly...certainly not if sales matter first and foremost. Which, of course, would as a Sales Representative or the like.

As I said, again, IMO, if football truly matters, the decision is really not that difficult at all.

Last edited:
Actually, in my opinion, it's really not that difficult to decide, if indeed, football truly matters. A head football coach, especially at the P5 level, #1, #2 and #3 priority is to WIN football games. That's what a head football coach at this level gets hired to do, and paid so incredibly handsome for. Dino handling himself well off the field, and being a good ambassador for Syracuse University is nice, but it's consequential and or secondary in nature.

Can you imagine being a Sales Manager and have one of your Sale Representatives consistently not SELL. And, argue to your superior Division Mgr. or anyone that listens, but you should see his/her paperwork, it's impeccable! There is never any issues with contracts, mistakes, etc. and, by the way, the office/administrative folk simply love him/her...so sweet! I don't think that would fly...certainly not if sales matter first and is foremost. Which, of course, would as a Sales Representative or the like.

As I said, again, IMO, if football truly matters, the decision is really not that difficult at all.
We have a HoF hoops coach who has been on probation twice, and has had several instances where one could argue he didn’t represent the university particularly well. But… HoF coach.

Anyway, Dino’s coming back. Let’s hope we win this weekend and turn this ship around.

We have a HoF hoops coach who has been on probation twice, and has had several instances where one could argue he didn’t represent the university particularly well. But… HoF coach.

Anyway, Dino’s coming back. Let’s hope we win this weekend and turn this ship around.

Absolutely! And, bare none, the reason he's still around is because of his proven track record of winning. You think SU, or anyone for that matter, would've put up with 2 probations along with his other shenanigans if he hadn't won in the manner in which he has? I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom