Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game?? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack pull the trigger Monday or after the Pitt game??

Totally agree. I’d also ask the supporters if not now, when?

Im fine with making a move mid season to Tony White next year.

The first 9 games were good. I just don’t like our chances coach shopping. It’s easier to transition to White mid season.

Im fine with making a move mid season to Tony White next year.

The first 9 games were good. I just don’t like our chances coach shopping. It’s easier to transition to White mid season.
If you're just going to transition to Tony White, do it this year and give him a fresh start and chance to finish off the current recruiting class.

I respect both of you, and these posts are kind of my point. Seems like you both think SU will suck forever. It’s fine to feel that way. But if that’s the case, then why not just keep rolling the dice and hope we hit the lottery? What’s the point of keeping on with a guy almost no one thinks is anything special? Because Dino’s a nice guy? Hell, I’m an incredibly nice guy and a good leader to boot, give me a few million a year to run an irrelevant football program. I’ll be better at press conferences too. ;)

I’ll keep saying, I don’t expect Dino to be fired, and I’m not passionate about it either way. I just don’t find the program entertaining. Its become a chore to follow. I’m fine with moving on. Six years is a helluva audition.
i am good rolling the dice, people keep talking about 6 years and I get it but they forget that he was given a large contact after that 3rd season which can’t just be erased. I don’t care what they do, I just don’t think its that easy. And yes, I maintain most here will have the same issues with the next coach and want him fired in 3-4 years.

What do people think his buyout is?
Buyout shouldn’t impact if he’s the right coach. Because if it does and it springs downward next year you are just delaying inevitable since he’s a dead man walking next year without an extension

I assume any decision is a) firing on Monday or b) an extension where any buy out is shrunken.

Wildhack knows what he’s going to do. I suspect decisions are pretty much made already. If not we have major problems. Insiders say Marrone has 0% chance. I would hope they look for someone who knows interstate 95 New Jersey to Maine, 90, 84 and route 128 and high schools within it

Shafer never beat a ranked opponent in his 3 years.

Dino never beat a ranked opponent in his past 3 years.
The fact that Dino has beaten Top 25 teams yet has the same record as Shafer should be a bad thing. It shows the team was good enough to beat good teams. So the fact that we are 2-6 every year in conference means Dino was underachieving those other 7 games.

In the post game Dino was talking about what our D will be like next season and the year after that etc. He seems very confident like he’s not going anywhere.

i am good rolling the dice, people keep talking about 6 years and I get it but they forget that he was given a large contact after that 3rd season which can’t just be erased. I don’t care what they do, I just don’t think its that easy. And yes, I maintain most here will have the same issues with the next coach and want him fired in 3-4 years.

If he sucks too, absolutely. We need to hit pay dirt with a coach just to be average to good. Rifle through them until we find one.

Last edited:
Again agreed. If Eric was healthy two years, who knows?
Shafer love affair is still going on? He failed to keep the consistency following Marrone despite being a consistency hire, he deserved to be let go.

I remember him talking 5 years ago about what our offense would like. Not your point I know.
If we had actual reporters that would have been the first question asked.

Shafer love affair is still going on? He failed to keep the consistency following Marrone despite being a consistency hire, he deserved to be let go.
It’s not a love affair. It’s an honest question. Why does Babers get all the injury passes but shafer can’t have any. We haven’t been any better under Babers then we were under shafer

It’s not a love affair. It’s an honest question. Why does Babers get all the injury passes but shafer can’t have any. We haven’t been any better under Babers then we were under shafer
Because like I said - shafer was a consistency hire, his job was to continue the success of Marrone, he couldn’t do it so they fired him. It’s simple as that.

I give neither a pass on that sort of thing.

Shafer wasn't HC material. Not sure what else anyone needs to say about it. His post Syracuse career kinda confirmed it for me. He was a loose cannon type who was right place/right time. Had Syracuse been somewhat forward thinking Hackett would have become the HC and we would have probably had more success.

Dino runs a good program results be damned. It's a result oriented business so i'm torn because his results and style of play are bad and not existent. But I like the guy and want to see this through. I'm pot committed to Dino Babers based on what we were sold.

However, what lurks in my head is JW DIDNT hire Dino and may want to make his own mark on the football team now that he has seen the results post extension. Either way, i'm at peace with whatever Syracuse does.

Because like I said - shafer was a consistency hire, his job was to continue the success of Marrone, he couldn’t do it so they fired him. It’s simple as that.
That’s a cop out and you know it. You can’t say Babers is better then his record because of injuries and also say that we wouldn’t have probably made bowls all 3 shafer years with a healthier dungey

That’s a cop out and you know it. You can’t say Babers is better then his record because of injuries and also say that we wouldn’t have probably made bowls all 3 shafer years with a healthier dungey

Not sure how Dungey would have contributed in 2014. He was still in HS.

2014 was Hunt / Long / Wilson / Kimble

Not sure how Dungey would have contributed in 2014. He was still in HS.

2014 was Hunt / Long / Wilson / Kimble
I know that but we made a bowl game that year. It was the two years after where dungey got hurt that I’m talking about

I know that but we made a bowl game that year. It was the two years after where dungey got hurt that I’m talking about

We made a bowl game in 2013. Shafer's 1st year. All Terrell Hunt with a little Drew Allen.

We went 3-9 in Shafer's 2nd year w/o Dungey and 4-8 in Shafer's last year with Dungey playing 8 games.

We made a bowl game in 2013. Shafer's 1st year. All Terrell Hunt with a little Drew Allen.

We went 3-9 in Shafer's 2nd year w/o Dungey and 4-8 in Shafer's last year with Dungey playing 8 games.

I wonder what would have happened if Hunt stayed healthy.

In 2014 we may have gotten to 6 Ws. I still think we don't though.

2015 there probably isn't a difference in record. So Shafer still gets fired but Dungey could have red shirted meaning he is our QB in 2019.

2016 Dino is still HC but does he pick SR Hunt or RS Frosh Dungey?

2017 and 2018 are likely the same.

2019 with Dungey we make a Bowl.

2020 is Tommy's 1st year. Assuming he still gets hurt the season is the same.

2021 we likely do not have Shrader and it is Tommy all year so this season is even worse.

2022 most likely Tommy is QB and we have a losing season. Dino is on the hot seat but could survive one more year.

Syracuse is not serious about winning at football. Maybe it shouldn't be a priority. As long as we make money losing, everything is good. It's as simple as that. They just need something to fund the non-revenue sports.

And yes, I maintain most here will have the same issues with the next coach and want him fired in 3-4 years.

Try 3-4 minutes, in the first game thread.

I don't know the right answer, but I would think if you're going to go in another direction you need to minimize the risk.

I have no idea of the buyout $, if it's huge, or even doable. Don't even know when the contract ends. I read in one place it was 2023, which would mean you have to probably announce something in 2022 one way or the other.

I see people mentioning that we need consistency, but we really haven't had that. Our offense has transformed a couple times over. Our defense transformed after year 4 (that one seems for the good). It's not like we're running out the Kirk Ferentz system.

As for recruiting, this upcoming class just seems way worse than normal.

All moot if we beat Pitt, or play them down the wire. If it's an ugly loss, Wildhack has some things to think about, and quickly. Really depends on who he has on his short list, and again, if the buyout is something they could do (with BoT buy-in).

Shafer never sniffed the level of wins Dino has. This is a dumb argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom